Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

GoPro MAX and GPS. Clarification needed.

I am considering buying a MAX to replace my Fusion.

I use my Fusion in timelapse mode for 360 photos and video mode for 360 videos.

In each case, I have GPS switched on so that the photos (front photos on camera) are tagged with GPS location, which in turn is added to final video / photo files during stitching.

Reading the forums and manual I am a little confused if GPS is used in the same way on the Fusion. 

I understand you can use GPS stickers on the MAX but this is not suitable for my requirements. Some say GPS is only supported in HERO (single lens) mode.

What I want is to turn on GPS and have the MAX add lat / lon / alt to the images it's storing.

If anyone can give me a definitive answer as to wether this is possibe, it would be a huge help!

Thanks!

Highlighted
Nomad

Re: GoPro MAX and GPS. Clarification needed.

I don't know about photos, but in videos GPS data is definitely not limited to Hero mode. I would assume it's included in photos too, but don't take my word for it
Highlighted
Hiker

Yes, it sounds like a wierd limitation @kajuna -- I just want to be sure before I make a purchase!

Highlighted
Hiker

Yes, it would be better to have a clarification in this regard: I was convinced that GPS data could be used in both HERO and 360 modes. If this is not the case, it is better to know it first.

Highlighted
Hiker

Good news; the MAX can indeed shoot video and timelapse in 360 mode with embedded GPS. Woo hoo!

https://campfire.trekview.org/t/gopro-max-360-video-photo-and-gps/121