Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
GoPro Community Manager

GoPro Launches Entry-Level HERO Camera 2018

$199 HERO Joins $299 HERO5 and $399 HERO6, Making GoPro Accessible to All

GoPro, Inc. has added a new HERO camera to the family. On sale now, HERO is a $199, go-anywhere, capture-anything camera that makes it easy to share experiences that would be difficult to capture with a phone.  

HERO features a 2-inch touch display, is waterproof to 30 feet and is extremely durable, making it the perfect GoPro for kids, adventurous social sharers and travelers.

“HERO is a great first GoPro for people looking to share experiences beyond what a phone can capture,” says Meghan Laffey, GoPro’s SVP of Product. “HERO makes it easy to share ‘wow’ moments at a price that’s perfect for first-time users.”

Sharing cool experiences with HERO is simple. It offloads your photos and videos to the GoPro app which creates fun, shareable videos for you, automatically. No more fumbling with your SD card or plugging your camera into a computer. HERO makes it simple.

Those looking for the ultimate GoPro-experience can subscribe to GoPro’s PLUSsubscription service. Cloud backup, damaged camera replacement, 20-percent off accessory discounts and more are included with a PLUS subscription for just $4.99 a month, cancellable anytime.

HERO is available today at retailers around the world and on GoPro.com. Key features include:

• Award-Winning Image Quality: HD Video (1440p60 and 1080p60) and 10MP photo performance
  • 2-Inch Touch Display: Using HERO is as easy as using your phone thanks to its touch display
  • Voice Control: Tell HERO to start and stop recording, take a photo, turn off and more
  • Waterproof + Extremely Durable: Waterproof up to 30’ (10M) and designed go everywhere your smartphone can’t
  • Video Stabilization: HERO features video stabilization that helps smooth out the shakes
  • Smartphone Compatible: HERO offloads your photos and videos to the GoPro app which creates fun, shareable videos for you, automatically
  • Body and Gear Mountable: compatible with 30+ GoPro mounting accessories
Hiker

Re: GoPro Launches Entry-Level HERO Camera 2018

Thank you jefft

Adventurer

Question is this is not the same EIS  as the Hero 6, if it is Awesome?

Lets hope it sticks aroun as the Hero and Hero +  was discontinued .  good luck and congrats on the release.

Nomad

[ Edited ]

Did they discontinue the H5 Session? Is there not an upcoming Session in the works? That's the best form factor for an action cam (size+wieght), and the H5 Session was more powerful (resolution+framerates...) than this new Hero.

Adventurer

AGREE @kajuna I  mentioned about a Hero 6 and if they impliment hte H6B EIS in there I am Sold  and that should be about Oct for a Release  I am sure of that I am thinking Positive. gopro will be hush hush on it.  Would you not want people to know in advance why  websites get first leak news that gopro gives to them?       IMHO

GoPro

@fishycomics- It is going to be on the same level as the HERO5 Black stabilization!

@kajuna- The HERO5 Session is no longer in the camera line up on GoPro.com however is still being sold at retailers, as well as in the refurbished section of the website: 

https://shop.gopro.com/refurbished/refurbished-hero5-session/CHDNH-B16.html

Cheers,

Ryan 

Adventurer

Thank you.   so we got Hero 5 in the Hero entry level  great to hear

Tourist

I saw nothing that mentioned anything about the battery  , does it have a removable battery ?? , i am guessing not , since nothing was mentioned about any removable or replacement batteries ...... , if not ,  that is a deal breaker and why i have not bought a camera since the Hero 3+ Silver  , i need at least 3 batteries for dirt bike rides to match 3 SD Cards , i will use all of them on 1 ride in 1 day   , i liked the looks of the compact Session , until i saw it only has a built in battery  , GoPro just lost the sale right there ...

For some reason GoPro keeps putting out affordable cameras , that no one can use who actually wants to film what they do if they are doing anything that takes over 30 minutes before the crappy built in battery dies  , the Hero 3+ works with 1 battery dieing about when you fill up a 32gb Micro SD card  , its a perfect setup  , change card , change battery , and move on  , no waiting for something to charge or trying to fit and secure cables hanging down from your helmet that are catching on tree branches , and you can pretty much time when you need to stop and replace

If there are separate batteries , where are they ?? , nothing is mentioned about them  , i have been waiting to buy a cheaper "secondary" GoPro  that has a removable battery , and have been dissappointed every time a "new" GoPro camera comes out because they all seem to have built in batteries , which makes them all but useless to me......................... Jim...