Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Backpacker

GoPro Labs now available for the GoPro Hero 7, 8, 9 and Max!

[ New ]

Well folks, looks like GoPro staff have been at it again.  GoPro Labs was such a success that they decided to work on a version that now works on the GoPro Hero 7, 8, 9 and Max!   

Not only that, since this "Adds" functionality, you will not lose any of the advantages of the latest firmware updates for your camera.  This is fantastic news for all of those that kept asking if GoPro would release a version for other camera's.

You Asked, GoPro Responded!

Below is the link for the GoPro labs installation files and instructions for the GoPro Hero 7, 8, 9 and Max!

https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/Introducing-GoPro-Labs/ta-p/603173 

Accepted Solutions
Backpacker

Re: GoPro Labs now available for the GoPro Hero 7, 8, 9 and Max!

[ New ]

So if the update failed (and you got the message "Update failed") it's likely that you were not using an empty/formatted SD card (this can happen with firmware updates).

So.....

1:  Back up the contents of your SD card.

2:  Put the SD card in your camera, power it on and then format the card in your camera.

3:  Remove the SD card from your camera and put it into an SD card reader or similar attached to your PC

4:  Download the GoPro Labs Firmware 

5:  Open the GoPro Labs firmware once it has downloaded and look for the "UPDATE" folder inside the GoPro Lab Firmware package/zip file

6:  Copy the entire folder "UPDATE" to the root directly of your GoPro SD card.

7:  Remove the SD card from the SD card reader and put it back in your GoPro.

8:  Power on your GoPro and the update should start.

I've also made a video about the GoPro Labs Firmware and it details how to install it on a GoPro Hero 9.  So if you have any installation issues, just follow the instructions in the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TtTgKgINZ8

Please note again, you might need an SD card reader, attaching the GoPro via USB cable may not give you access to the Root Menu of your GoPro where the Update folder needs to be copied to.

View solution in original post

In this video I share with you some news about the new release of the GoPro Labs firmware for the GoPro Hero 7, GoPro Hero 8, GoPro Hero 9 and GoPro Hero Max...

All Replies
Hiker

[ New ]
Amazing! Finally. I've been asking this for long time. Thank you Team!
Hiker

[ New ]

Can you confirm if this lastest GoPro Labs firmware now runs on top of lastest official firmware release (v2.50 for GP8)?
I've asked many times to keep those amazing parallel features working on top of lastest official firmware release so, besides adding more features, we could benefit of all improvements made up to this date.

Hope it works on top of lastest firmware and that GoPro Labs firmware will be updated together with official one. Fingers crossed here and would be like a dream! Great work and move from GoPro dev. team!

Backpacker

[ New ]

Yes, it works on top of the firmware.  The GoPro Labs release is actually titled 2.50 for the GoPro Hero Black and appears to support all of the same functions as well as new additional ones.

Nomad

[ New ]

thats awesome they launched the labs firmware, playing with it now - would be nice if you could save your QR codes into the built in presets which don't allow GPS, Wifi, voice toggles etc

was hoping they forgot to remove the smart remote too:(

great progress though as the camera shoudl start recording when moving which is what the remote allowed us to do.

now if only they can make "the remote" work with the 7 i'm a happy camper and will sell the smart remote as i don't want 2 

Nomad

[ New ]

I got a message saying it was released this morning.

Funny thing was that I asked gopro to bring it out for the Hero 7 about 20 hours before they actually brought it out.

Hiker

[ New ]

Can anyone confirm that it will work on the H7B ? I tried it and it failed.

Backpacker

[ New ]

So if the update failed (and you got the message "Update failed") it's likely that you were not using an empty/formatted SD card (this can happen with firmware updates).

So.....

1:  Back up the contents of your SD card.

2:  Put the SD card in your camera, power it on and then format the card in your camera.

3:  Remove the SD card from your camera and put it into an SD card reader or similar attached to your PC

4:  Download the GoPro Labs Firmware 

5:  Open the GoPro Labs firmware once it has downloaded and look for the "UPDATE" folder inside the GoPro Lab Firmware package/zip file

6:  Copy the entire folder "UPDATE" to the root directly of your GoPro SD card.

7:  Remove the SD card from the SD card reader and put it back in your GoPro.

8:  Power on your GoPro and the update should start.

I've also made a video about the GoPro Labs Firmware and it details how to install it on a GoPro Hero 9.  So if you have any installation issues, just follow the instructions in the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TtTgKgINZ8

Please note again, you might need an SD card reader, attaching the GoPro via USB cable may not give you access to the Root Menu of your GoPro where the Update folder needs to be copied to.

In this video I share with you some news about the new release of the GoPro Labs firmware for the GoPro Hero 7, GoPro Hero 8, GoPro Hero 9 and GoPro Hero Max...
Hiker

[ New ]

It works on mine.

Hiker

[ New ]
It works on mine.
Hiker

[ New ]

It's working, now. I downloaded the wrong software. Thank you!

Hiker

[ New ]

Same to me: loaded wrong firmware. I'm enthusiastic, because the speed of reading the QR is impressing.

Hiker

[ New ]

Really enjoying this unexpected update, well done !

Hiker

[ New ]

Changing the settings via a QR code is awesome, it shortens the time considerably if you want to change them in the cam itself or via the gopro app.

Unfortunately there are a few codes that do not work properly.

Prereferences->Language

if I set it to 'German', the language is 'German', but the language of the voice control is 'French'. If I switch to 'French', the language control is 'Japanese'.

That should be corrected.

Tourist

[ New ]

I discovered the update, for hero 7, this week and it was an extremely pleasant surprise.

Not being able to define presets was one of the main concerns but now with the QR codes it is solved.

Good job GoPro!