Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: GoPro Lab firmware update not installing on GoPro when SD card in & gopro powered on

Hello, @joaquimv6. Make sure that it is only the extracted UPDATE folder that is on the SD card before you put it back into the camera. The folder should be named as is, not UPDATE(1) or with any extra character. There are also instances when, due to repeating the process, the SD card would have the DCIM, MISC, and other files in it by having been used in the camera. These files need to be removed. 

If the issue persists, let our Support team at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs know so they can assist you further. 

Highlighted
Sightseer

Re: GoPro Lab firmware update not installing on GoPro when SD card in & gopro powered on

Hi,

Thanks for the message. Yes the UPDATE folder is correctly named, it is the right version for the Hero5, and the only folder on the SD card but nothing else happens. That's why I'm really stressed about this as I don't see a solution anywhere. :(

Highlighted
GoPro

Sorry to hear about that, @joaquimv6. If you can, and if accessible, try using a different SD card. If it still will not work, please connect with our Support team for further assistance. Thanks!

Highlighted
Sightseer

Hi,

I can't connect to the technical support.... When I try to open the chat nothing happens. When I try the call me button it says captcha not correct but I get no captcha. Using Mac Catalina with Chrome and Firefox. How can I get in contact for help with this situation?

Thanks.

Highlighted
GoPro

Sorry if you are having trouble getting through. @joaquimv6

Please make sure to manually enter the information/details when filling out the form. Do not copy/paste.

You can also try going on incognito mode.

Changing the location to US-English should also help.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

I'm having trouble here too. Noticed above poster @joaquimv6 says he is using Hero5. Isnt this a Hero 8 only feature?

So you have to put the HD8.01.01.70.7...zip into the UPDATE folder of a freshly formatted card? Shouldn't this be in the instructions? The instructions only illustrates the UPDATE folder, never mentions putting the other zip file into it. Do we also need to double click the other zip file and put the resulting folder in the UPDATE folder?

Highlighted
Sightseer

Hi. It eventually worked after another SD card fomat...weird but worked. Just the UPDATE folder as mentioned.

In the meantime I also managed to get support from GoPro by using incognito window and pressing a few times on the chat windows otherwise it wouldn't work (running Mac OS Catalina).

Solved for me :)

Highlighted
Tourist

I formatted the card, put the unzipped, HD8.01.01.70.75.zip folder into the UPDATE folder and put it in my camera. It said update successful but camera is not reading the QR codes.

The directions at the bottom of this page https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/Introducing-GoPro-Labs/ta-p/603173 don't make any sense to me. Step 1 has you download the lab firmware (HD8.01.01.70.75.zip) Step 2. has detailed instructions for Manual Update. Step 3 is a link on how to use the QRcodes. There is nothing that details how to get the HD8.01.01.70.75.zip file into the camera. What am I missing?