Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

GoPro Lab firmware update not installing on GoPro when SD card in & gopro powered on

Hi there, I've tried updating my GoPro hero 8 with the GoPro Lab firmware update. I've followed the instructions of extracting the zipped file when downloaded from gopro.com and moved the extracted files to the GoPro SD Card. but when I insert the SD Card to the (powered off) GoPro, the GoPro does not automatically update. is there another way to update the GoPro or am I doing something wrong? 

thanks 

Greg

I've attached a screenshot of the contents of the SD card which includes the extracted files 

2020-06-20.png

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: GoPro Lab firmware update not installing on GoPro when SD card in & gopro powered on

you must not place in HD08.01.70 folder that is wrong you must place in just hte UPDATE folder.  follow the diagram I shown

Untitled.png

View solution in original post

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: GoPro Lab firmware update not installing on GoPro when SD card in & gopro powered on

Hello @gmorton. @fishycomics is correct. You have to place the UPDATE folder only. 

Additionally, if in case the camera still won’t initiate the update, it can be because the camera is not recognizing the update on the SD card. We do have some suggestions here that should help get the update working: 

• Make sure the UPDATE folder is unzipped/extracted, before placing it on the SD card. If the folder is compressed, the camera will not be able to read it; 

• Ensure the UPDATE folder does not have any additional characters in the folder title, i.e. "UPDATE (1)". The camera will only recognize a folder titled "UPDATE", in upper case letters with no additional characters; 

• Format the SD card before placing the update folder/files onto the root of the card (format on your computer, or DELETE ALL files in the camera's Delete menu); 

• NOTE: Reformatting the SD card will delete all data off of the card, so be sure that you save any videos or pictures you want to keep on your computer before reformatting the SD card.

• Be sure to place the individual files within the UPDATE folder on the root level of the SD card.  

Once you have the necessary file(s) placed on the SD card, unplug it from the computer and insert the microSD card into your camera. Once it's plugged in, power on the camera. The update should automatically initiate.  

Let us know how it goes.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Adventurer

you must not place in HD08.01.70 folder that is wrong you must place in just hte UPDATE folder.  follow the diagram I shown

Untitled.png

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @gmorton. @fishycomics is correct. You have to place the UPDATE folder only. 

Additionally, if in case the camera still won’t initiate the update, it can be because the camera is not recognizing the update on the SD card. We do have some suggestions here that should help get the update working: 

• Make sure the UPDATE folder is unzipped/extracted, before placing it on the SD card. If the folder is compressed, the camera will not be able to read it; 

• Ensure the UPDATE folder does not have any additional characters in the folder title, i.e. "UPDATE (1)". The camera will only recognize a folder titled "UPDATE", in upper case letters with no additional characters; 

• Format the SD card before placing the update folder/files onto the root of the card (format on your computer, or DELETE ALL files in the camera's Delete menu); 

• NOTE: Reformatting the SD card will delete all data off of the card, so be sure that you save any videos or pictures you want to keep on your computer before reformatting the SD card.

• Be sure to place the individual files within the UPDATE folder on the root level of the SD card.  

Once you have the necessary file(s) placed on the SD card, unplug it from the computer and insert the microSD card into your camera. Once it's plugged in, power on the camera. The update should automatically initiate.  

Let us know how it goes.

Highlighted
Tourist

I got it Thank you guys for your help!!

Highlighted
GoPro

Cool beans, @gmorton. Stay stoked, and have fun capturing moments using your GoPro!

Highlighted
Adventurer

simply overlooked, happy to helped.

Highlighted
Sightseer

No meu caso esta solução não está a funcionar. Formato o SD card, coloco a pasta Instal da versão correta para Hero5 Black e continuo com o exclamation point e red light flashing.

Não consigo resolver o problema e o suporte ainda não deu solução.

Estou muito desapontado com tudo...

Highlighted
Adventurer

maybe inglish. then  Ican help.