Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro Hero9 water submersion issue, not waterproof? Dosnt turn back on. Terrible experience so far.

[ New ]
Hey there, I purchased my gopro about a month after the hero9 was released to the market. I've used my gopro about 4 times since. The last time I went on a hike with a clear river, so I put recorded a short clip in about 7 inches of water. After I recorded underwater, I turned the gopro off. I tried to take a picture 10 minutes later but it wouldn't turn on. I assumed it had died.
I went back to my place and plugged it in to charge overnight. By morning, I realized it didn't charge at all, the red charging light wouldn't come on, even when I tried different outlets that I knew were working.
I removed the battery, waited a minute, put the battery back in, and it began charging.
Later that day, I tried submerging it in shallow water again, thinking the first time was just a flue, and the SAME THING HAPPENED AGAIN! It would not turn on after I used it under water. Mond you, both times were underwater for less than 30 seconds. Missed a ton of good shots because of that.
So I get back to the hotel and repeated the same process of removing the battery again before charging it, it began charging.
Fast forward to the next morning, This time, I tried to use the quick capture button, the camera froze and wouldn't turn off no matter how long I held the power button.
I had to force it by removing the battery. This caused the camera to corrupt 2 of my previously recorded videos.

Does anyone else have severe problems like this?
I haven't used the gopro since because it was disappointing.
GoPro

Re: GoPro Hero9 water submersion issue, not waterproof? Dosnt turn back on. Terrible experience s...

[ New ]

Hello, @amy1193. Is it only when the camera is used underwater or in water that the issue is observed? Does the camera work correctly when out of water? Was there an error message when using the camera resulted in corrupted files?

Is the camera updated to the latest firmware? Which SD card is used in it? Was the card formatted prior to use? The information on the brand, capacity, and type will be helpful. These details will help us isolate the issue. Thanks!

Tourist

Re: GoPro Hero9 water submersion issue, not waterproof? Dosnt turn back on. Terrible experience s...

[ New ]
The camera will take a video/photo underwater, but as soon as I'm finished and power it off, it stops powering on. I have to remove and reinsert the battery for it to work again.
As for the quick capture issue, the screen will be black and freeze, or it will take a long time before it start recording. I don't remember if there was an error message, because it's been a while since I've used it. I do remember not being able to view it on both the Gropro and on my computer.

At the time, the camera was up to date with the latest firmware, I updated it once, but still had issues, so I stopped using the camera.
The SD card is the one GoPro sent directly to me with the bundle I purchased and was formatted.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @amy1193

How was the last update done?

See if re-flashing the software will make a difference. 
Follow the manual update steps on https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero9-black

If it's still the same, please reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to have this checked further.

Thanks!

Ej