Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro Hero9 Black - Activity Mode SD Card Errors

[ New ]

Hello - 

I have used my GoPro Hero9 Black a handful of times, most recently while skiiing. On my first day, I shot footage on the default "Activity" video setting (2.7K, 60fps, SuperView). Everything seemed to be working fine as I was able to view the clips I had just shot on the chairlift no problem. 

When I got off the mountain, I turned my GoPro back on and got an "SDerr" and a prompt to reformat my SD card. At first, I did not reformat but when I tried to see my clips on the GoPro, I was not getting an "unable to view" message over the thumbnail. Ultimately, I ended up reformatting my SD card and losing the footage.

The next day, I created a custom video setting which was 4K/30fps/SuperView - this worked great and I was able to shoot and upload my clips to my iPhone and cloud account. 

The next day, I switched back to the default "activity" video setting and recieved the same error (prompt to reformat my SD card and an "unable to view" message on my clips). 

For reference, the SD card I am using is a SanDisk Extreme (UHS-1 U3 /V30) A2 64GB (SDSQXA2-064G-AN6MA). 

Am I messing something up? Has this been a repeat issue? Any help that you may shed would be great.

Thanks,

Sean 

GoPro

Re: GoPro Hero9 Black - Activity Mode SD Card Errors

[ New ]

Hi @seanbright

Sorry for any trouble caused.

Please try re-flashing the software. Please follow the manual update steps on https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero9-black

Once done, reset the camera.

It will also help if you can test an alternate SD card.

Let us know how it goes.
You may also reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs  for further assistance.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks, I have confirmed my GoPro software is up to date and I have reset my camera - unfortunately this doesn't fix the issue.

Are there any other options you can think of? I would prefer not to just buy another SD card without knowing if this will fix the issue given that my current SD card works fine for some camera settings and is on the list of approved SD cards for the Hero9 Black.

Thanks!

Sean

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi, I have the same issue, but mine shows an X. I have been advised to buy a new SD card, it worked for a few hours then the same error appeared. My software is also up to date. I hope we can solve the issue, as I can’t use my camera since I got it.

Regards,
Mahi
GoPro

[ New ]

@seanbright, @rapidboost8341, we'd like to gather a few more details as we look further into the issue you're currently experiencing with the camera. Please provide us the following: 

• Camera model and its firmware version installed. 

• MicroSD card brand and capacity. Was it also part of the camera bundle purchase? 

When does the SD error occur (i.e. onset, out-of-the-box, after formatting, after 1 video, etc.)? Does it happen on specific video resolution settings or camera modes only? 

If the problem just started to happen recently, we'd like to know any recent changes made or took place (firmware update, SD card brand change, hardware reset, RMA, etc.). 

In addition, have you been able to format the SD card through your GoPro camera? Can it be formatted on a different device or has been formatted prior to use? 

Try formatting the SD card. (NOTE: Reformatting the SD card will delete all data off of the card, so be sure that you save any videos or pictures you want to keep on your computer before reformatting the SD card.) 

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks for helping us out - answers to your questions below:

Camera model: GoPro Hero9 Black

Firmware: 1.50

SD card: SanDisk Extreme (UHS-1 U3 /V30) A2 64GB (SDSQXA2-064G-AN6MA)

Yes, this was purchased as part of a bundle (reciept attached - I can also provide more information to validate reciept if you'd like via private message). 

The SD card error has happened specifically when filming in the default "Activity" mode. On a few instances, I've recorded a clip, been able to watch it on the chairlift, but then when I try to watch it again, I recieve the "SDerr" message. 

This error has occured since I used it for the first time while skiing.

I have formatted the SD card on the GoPro at least 10 times in an attempt to fix the issue.

Have other people had issues like this specifically related to the cold? I use my GoPro while skiing and while the temperatures are not extremely cold, I do use the GoPro in temperatures of 20-30 degrees Farenheight. 

Please let me know of any other information that may be helpful. 

Thanks,

Sean

GoPro Reciept.PNG
GoPro

[ New ]

@seanbright, I appreciate the info. We'll look into this. I'll keep you posted. Thanks!

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hey there,

Same exact issue here, except not limited to the activity mode.

For quick reference, I have been using GoPro cameras since the Hero2. I am a video professional. I have formatted the SD card. I have reflashed the newest firmware via manual update. I have formatted the card INSIDE of the GoPro camera.

This issue is happening with two different SD cards. Both SanDisk and both on the recommended list.

Shooting in cold temperatures (skiing). Mainly shooting 4k 4:3 24fps and 2.7k 4:3 60fps.

The issue happens "randomly". I can't seem to trigger it intentionally but it happens often enough to be incredibly annoying. I can shoot 10, sometimes 20 clips and then I get the error and nothing fixes it except formatting.

I have found that I can format the SD card on my computer and then use RECUVA software to recover 90% of the files but there's always a few that are corrupted.

In additon, I frequently use the voice activation which could possibly be part of the issue?

Lastly, all of these SD cards work flawlessly in my Hero8. Only the Hero9 has the issue.

If you need further information I'd be happy to answer.

GoPro

[ New ]

@codyb20004, thank you for the info. These details are helpful too. We'll post back with an update on this.