Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: GoPro Hero8 won’t turn on

Hello, @epicvista1100 if you have already reset and manually updated the camera firmware, and the issue persists, it would be best to let our Support team know. This way, they can help you with the next steps. You can reach them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . 

Highlighted
Tourist

Okay thanks mariustanya, I'll contact support directly.  I manually updated the firmware to 1.60 when I got the camera, and then a month later reset it and manually updated to 1.60 again, and yep the issue has persisted.

Highlighted
Sightseer

I have the same problem. I have a new GoPro Hero 8 Black and I use it e.g. when out in the sea kayaking. I use the quick capture to record videos. It is often that the camera stops completely working and does not turn on anymore. No long press of either button helps. The only cure is opening the case, removing and reinserting the battery. The batter level is typical >70%. I have two batteries and this happens with both of them. 

I have the latest 1.60 version, which I reinstalled also earlier when I had the problem that camera turned on itself. I also formatted the memory card then.

This is an annoying problem. First I thought the battery died quickly. It is not always safe to open the camera outdoors, so sometimes I miss the rest of shooting until I get to a better place. I used earlier HERO and it worked always, good buttons and simple to use. I rather hope reliable camera software and long lasting battery than lots of features. 

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello, @kaurisko, This is definitely not an expected camera behavior. If you have already gone through manually updating the camera firmware and you are using the original HERO8 Black battery and the issue persists, please let our Support team know. They will walk you through the next steps. To connect with them, visit https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Once there, select "Contact Us" and proceed with either chat or a callback request. 

Highlighted
Tourist

@mariustanya , it might not be expected behavior but I think it is very common behavior.  Mine still does it from time to time, and I've talked to several other motovloggers with Hero 8's who experience this occasionally too.  I even know a few motovloggers who won't upgrade to the Hero 8 because of this known behavior!  All on latest firmware, although it happened on previous firmware versions as well.  Batteries do not seem to be the issue as I have three batteries and it's happened with each of them.

My hunch is it's a physical problem.  I think the terminal leads inside the GoPro become disconnected from the battery leads, maybe due to a bump or something, or maybe heat?  Once this happens the GoPro loses power instantly and probably thinks the batttery has died.  Removing and reinserting the battery reseats the leads and all is normal again, EXCEPT for the odd behavior of the camera going into time lapse mode on the first quick capture power up (which I DO believe is a software issue).  This frustrating behavior also happens when the battery actually DOES die while filming and a fresh battery is installed, it almost always seems to go into time lapse mode on the first use after the battery dies.

Highlighted
Sightseer

I know this is an older thread but, I was having this same issue and stumbled upon this. I didn't read through all the pages of replies to the thread to see if someone also figured this out, but I found a way to kinda fix the issue. I will pull the battery and then reinsert the battery and that allows me to then turn the camera on. Just got this camera last week and I agree this is a BS issue. Get better GoPro.

Highlighted
Sightseer

I had 2 incidents today where the camera would not power on until I removed and reinserted the battery.