Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: GoPro Hero8 won’t turn on

Yes manual update worked fine. It switched off briefly during the process.

Highlighted
Hiker

• I extracted the zip file to my desktop
  • Then made a new folder which I named Update
  • Moved the folder from desktop to the USB 
  • Turned camera on - immediately started  updating
  • Be patient it takes a while
  • I saw a box on the front screen divided into two (I think this was showing me progress on the updating of the two files in the folder)
  • Then this was followed by a big tick to show updating had been completed
Highlighted
Sightseer

Just to raise awareness, I also have a "won't power on issue". Seemingly randomly the camera will not turn on using quick capture or the power button. Taking the battery out and re-inserting it seems to fix it, at least temporarily. So far this has happened 3 times in 2 days, after a total of 10 / 15 quick-capture on/offs. This is with original battery, in all cases on charge of 80% or more, and v1.6 software version. 

Came here to see if others are experiencing this, which seems to be the case..

Highlighted
Hiker

Maybe we need a software update!

Highlighted
Sightseer

Today two times I had to take the battery out and re-insert to turn it on, and on one occasion the camera turned off on its own during recording ( which I only found out when I went to turn it off). On two occasions this week the camera turned ON on its own, at the time I thought something in the bag pushed the button, but I think its faulty after all. Less than a month old so I will be contacting support for replacement, even though it feels like a software issue.

Highlighted
Sightseer

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem.

Brand new GoPro 8 Black. Latest Update on firmware but still, when I needed it quick to turn on it didn't turn on.

I am currently abroad and no chance to send back the camera within 30 days.

Please find a solution for that as it is very dissapointing for the quality of a new camera.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @can777er

If you have gone through the steps above and it's still the same, please reach out to our Support Team.

Please submit a request for a callback through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs, or initiate a chat conversation with one of our representatives.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Hiker

Hello! Got the same "doesn't turn on" issue 2 times yesterday when was testing my camera. I removed the battery, waited for a little and inserted it back. Now it's Ok. And I had my camera turned on during charging once. I had this on my gopro hero 5 sometimes when I disconnected it from my PC (it didn't turn on). It probably seems like a software bug. Since gopro hero 5 the cameras have very heavy software hence the bugs.
When is the next update? Does anyone know?