Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

GoPro Hero8 won’t turn on

Just bought the GoPro hero8. It powered on and I set it all up and connected it to my phone etc. I charged the battery to full, used it one time and it functioned properly. Get home and reviewed the footage and put back on the charger to recharge for another day. Charged it until it said that it was full battery and removed it from the charger. 2 days later, went to power it on and it won’t turn on. Tried holding power button for 10 seconds and nothing, no function at all. Put on charger and it powered on again and at top of the screen it says “no batt” with a red x. However, the battery is in properly. It’s like it’s not reading that there’s a battery in. Again, this is a brand spanking new unit. Just got to my vacation spot and it’s not turning on. Pretty frustrating being that I invested so much money into a GoPro camera. Any suggestions? I feel like purchased a faulty unit.
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: GoPro Hero8 won’t turn on

Anyone have troubleshoot ideas to try and fix this issue? Or has anyone had same issues?
Highlighted
Tourist

It sounds like a bad battery to me. Do you have access to another battery you can try to see if the issues persist?

Highlighted
Tourist

Something similar happens to me.
Just turn on the gopro 8 black behaved strangely. It turned on and off on its own. I thought it was due to the low battery so I put it to charge. For a day it works almost correctly, he did the same thing only once. But now it is impossible to use since just inserting the battery turns on and off alone continuously so I had to remove the battery. I can not use it and also just arrived at my place of vacation and had bought just for these days. I tried to reset it, change the sd, do a manual update but it still works badly. To be a newly released Gopro is VERY VERY VERY disappointing. I have invested € 429 for something defective. May Gopro respond and take over. Regards. Sorry for my bad English
Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]
My friend preordered the hero8 black on the same day that I did. His works fine, I put his battery in mine and it still didn’t work. I called GoPro this morning and spoke to a rep for about 30 minutes. He created a case number and looks like I am going to send mine back in for an exchange. The rep was very good and kind, but it’s also frustrating that I’m even going through this. Also, he asked for the serial number of my unit, saying that it starts with CCC and then numbers (I believe 4 numbers). However, I don’t have a serial number on mine, I only have XXXYYY etc...like I got a preproduction unit or something...gopro can you please chime in?
Highlighted
Hiker

So it looks like I am going to be replacing my entire unit. I hope I get a regular batch. This is a bunch of bs. GoPro, any word on what the XXYYXX’s mean on my GoPro? Hundreds of other people appear to have it as well. Wonder if they sent out pre production batch that didn’t go through the regular inspection.
Highlighted
GoPro

@13hoff, sorry to hear about the trouble. The sticker with your camera's serial number is located alongside the SD card compartment. It will be best to continue working with our Support Team to get the process going. You may take a photo of that part and send it to our Support Team for verification.

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

I have also contacted the customer support and they have opened the case to replace the unit. They have been very friendly but this does not take away the fact that I had bought a gopro for this holiday and I cannot use it. For your understanding, I am from Spain and I am on vacation in Panama with thousands of pending activities in the jungle and at sea. Having paid so much for something and not having it, it bothers a lot.
I hope it is resolved when before and I will try to forget the bad experience.
Greetings to all