Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: GoPro Hero8 won’t turn on

Sorry to hear about that, @hardyshore40011. It would be best to continue working with Support regarding this matter. Let them know that the issue persists even with the replacement camera. When you connect with them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs , you may use the same case number for easy reference. Thanks!

Highlighted
Sightseer

I also have a 8 and I must say that this sucks. My 3 black was reliable and dependable and this latest and greatest is terrible. Don't get me wrong the quality of it works is amazing. I missed so many shots this weekend because I was resetting, reformatting, resetting and pulling batteries along the trail. At one point I was ready to Alan this thing on the ground. I never cussed because of product so much while trying to have fun in trails. I guess I'm going to try and reinstall the firmware as a last resort.
Highlighted
Tourist

The best way I've found to help keep the "camera randomly having power failure" thing from happening is this: When you insert the battery into the Hero 8 press it in all the way in by hand, as far in and as hard as you can, THEN close the door but press on the door HARD before latching.

The issue defiinitely seems to be a physical battery seating issue inside the unit, because if I follow this procedure then I do not experience the random power failures, BUT if I don't do this as carefully as outlined above then I do experience the occasional moment where the Hero 8 simply will not power up and I have to remove and reinsert the battery again.

My hunch is it's a design flaw with the Hero 8 due to tolerances between the battery and the door. I think it fits a bit loose and with some jarring the battery contacts can unseat themselves. I might try adding a bit of padding inside the door too, that may fix it as well.

Highlighted
Sightseer

I only have the issue after charging the go pro or connecting it to my computer.
Although you do have to open the battery door to do that, I don't touch the battery when I do either of these activites.

Highlighted
Tourist

Same behaviuour of my new hero 8.

It won't turn on with a simple hit on the power button after it has been truend off.

Needed to wait 10s holding power button until it flashes briefly then the camera can be turned on as normal.

(sometime, it shows no sd and no battery with a X. just turn it off and on again)

Software is 1.6 (tested 1.2 and 1.5..same issue)

I can get on with it but it's a pain in the ass for a 429€ camera....

Highlighted
Tourist

I may add this :

Removing the battery and connected USB-c cable to a power source. The camera has the same behaviour (can't turn on except pressing more than 10s on power button). So I don't think it's a battery connection issue.

Highlighted
Tourist

Seems that most of the hero8 have this issue.

I will send back for replacement.

Nothing else to do to fix this issue

Highlighted
Tourist

Thank you for your advise. I was in contact with the support and got a replacement unit after returning my original equipment.

Unfortunately the problem remains. The camera still gets to a state where it does not turn on until I remove battery after using quick capture. I have two batteries and this happens with both of them. Removing battery is not always possible option while out.

I contacted the support again, there was queue and estimated 5 minutes time to call me back, so I asked to be called back. It is now some weeks, no one has called. All the trouble filling the "pre-support session" data and then no one takes it. And no possibility to contact via email or web form to continue the existing case. While it is great service that you have people giving support directly sometimes it is not practical if I can't contact them when I have time - after your service hours. Please improve this.

Additionally, an other old problem reoccurred with the replacement unit - the camera can turn itself on without me pressing the power. Sometimes it is when I have used the quick capture, and it turns itself on immediately after I have stopped it, and it has turned off. Sometimes it has happened without obvious reasons, resulting a flat battery before I even start using the camera. 

I have followed the instructions to reinstall 1.60, after it I have still experienced the camera turning on occasionally - maybe less though. Having WIFI on may affect this, so one additional feature that is there but needs to be avoided (there is separate thread on this topic).

So in summary, my camera is still not working even when replacement unit has been provided. Is there still something to try, or can I return the product and get my money back?

I have loved the GoPro product image and love the quality of the video, but with the Hero 8 I miss the unique events. It is sad news that I carry to those people who ask me about the camera when I am out in the field - I cannot recommend Hero8 to anyone who asks about it.