Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

GoPro Hero8 won’t turn on

[ New ]
Just bought the GoPro hero8. It powered on and I set it all up and connected it to my phone etc. I charged the battery to full, used it one time and it functioned properly. Get home and reviewed the footage and put back on the charger to recharge for another day. Charged it until it said that it was full battery and removed it from the charger. 2 days later, went to power it on and it won’t turn on. Tried holding power button for 10 seconds and nothing, no function at all. Put on charger and it powered on again and at top of the screen it says “no batt” with a red x. However, the battery is in properly. It’s like it’s not reading that there’s a battery in. Again, this is a brand spanking new unit. Just got to my vacation spot and it’s not turning on. Pretty frustrating being that I invested so much money into a GoPro camera. Any suggestions? I feel like purchased a faulty unit.
Hiker

Re: GoPro Hero8 won’t turn on

[ New ]
Anyone have troubleshoot ideas to try and fix this issue? Or has anyone had same issues?
Highlighted
Hiker

[ New ]

It sounds like a bad battery to me. Do you have access to another battery you can try to see if the issues persist?

Tourist

[ New ]
Something similar happens to me.
Just turn on the gopro 8 black behaved strangely. It turned on and off on its own. I thought it was due to the low battery so I put it to charge. For a day it works almost correctly, he did the same thing only once. But now it is impossible to use since just inserting the battery turns on and off alone continuously so I had to remove the battery. I can not use it and also just arrived at my place of vacation and had bought just for these days. I tried to reset it, change the sd, do a manual update but it still works badly. To be a newly released Gopro is VERY VERY VERY disappointing. I have invested € 429 for something defective. May Gopro respond and take over. Regards. Sorry for my bad English
Hiker

[ New ]
My friend preordered the hero8 black on the same day that I did. His works fine, I put his battery in mine and it still didn’t work. I called GoPro this morning and spoke to a rep for about 30 minutes. He created a case number and looks like I am going to send mine back in for an exchange. The rep was very good and kind, but it’s also frustrating that I’m even going through this. Also, he asked for the serial number of my unit, saying that it starts with CCC and then numbers (I believe 4 numbers). However, I don’t have a serial number on mine, I only have XXXYYY etc...like I got a preproduction unit or something...gopro can you please chime in?
Hiker

[ New ]
So it looks like I am going to be replacing my entire unit. I hope I get a regular batch. This is a bunch of bs. GoPro, any word on what the XXYYXX’s mean on my GoPro? Hundreds of other people appear to have it as well. Wonder if they sent out pre production batch that didn’t go through the regular inspection.
GoPro

[ New ]

@13hoff, sorry to hear about the trouble. The sticker with your camera's serial number is located alongside the SD card compartment. It will be best to continue working with our Support Team to get the process going. You may take a photo of that part and send it to our Support Team for verification.

Tourist

[ New ]

I have also contacted the customer support and they have opened the case to replace the unit. They have been very friendly but this does not take away the fact that I had bought a gopro for this holiday and I cannot use it. For your understanding, I am from Spain and I am on vacation in Panama with thousands of pending activities in the jungle and at sea. Having paid so much for something and not having it, it bothers a lot.
I hope it is resolved when before and I will try to forget the bad experience.
Greetings to all
Hiker

[ New ]
I ended up sending in my unit with the RMA provided for a full refund. Since I was still within my 30 day warranty I was allowed to do so I guess. Once my refund is processed, I will order another GoPro hero 8. Customer service recommended that I do it this way versus an exchange so that I am able to get a new GoPro and will have 30 day warranty again. This has been really frustrating. I’m going on 3.5 weeks now since receiving my first ever GoPro, and still don’t have a working GoPro right now. I hope this refund works out smoothly so that I can order a new GoPro.
Hiker

[ New ]
I received an email of a receipt for my full refund, however I still have yet to receive the money back into my bank account. It’s been 3 days now since I received the refund receipt. GoPro, is there typically this Long of a wait to receive my money back? I’m not ordering a new one until I can get my money back from the original faulty unit.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @13hoff

It typically takes 7-10 business days for the refund to be applied, depending on your particular bank's process. You may also check with them from time to time for updates.

Thanks!
Ej

Hiker

[ New ]
Thank you! I received the funds back into my account, and I also ordered he new GoPro hero 8 bundle. Stoked to get it and praying that this one works! I have another trip next weekend and want to use it for some footage! Thanks again!!!
Hiker

[ New ]
Got my new GoPro 8 after returning the faulty unit that I was given initially. GoPro seems to be working perfectly, so I hope that it works for my vacation that I am leaving for in an hour. Will report back. Thank you GoPro for honoring your word and making this exchange process as easy as you could given the unfortunate circumstance. I have been happy with their customer service thus far.
GoPro

[ New ]

Glad to know that @13hoff.

Just make sure to check everything before leaving. 

It would be best to reformat all your SD card before leaving and manually update your camera. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Hiker

[ New ]
Okay. I updated the camera when I linked it to my phone last night. I am not sure what you mean by reformatting my Sd card, it was a new Sd card that came with the unit.
GoPro

[ New ]

Got it @13hoff,

What I mean is it would be best to reformat your SD card before using it. 

Let's say you already used it. 

Just keep a back up and reformat your card.

-Jay

Hiker

[ New ]
Oh I see. It worked perfectly on my trip. Thank you very much GoPro!
Sightseer

[ New ]
I have the same issue
GoPro

[ New ]

Have you tried following the suggested troubleshooting steps on this thread? @sweetshore55508

If you already did and it did not fix the issue, please contact GoPro customer support via chat or request a call back.

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Regards,

-Jay

Tourist

[ New ]
I have had the same experience. I’m very disappointed at this point. GoPro was a Christmas gift. First outing and it won’t acknowledge a battery. I have 2 different batteries and neither one will work.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @peppywater81255,

Have you tried updating the firmware of your camera manually?

https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/How-to-Update-GoPro-Cameras

After updating the firmware of your camera manually you should be able to use those batteries. 

If issue persist please contact GoPro customer support: https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Regards,

-Jay

Tourist

[ New ]

Yes.  I have made sure I have the most recent version.  I called GoPro support and they also confirmed I have the most recent software version.  When I was on the phone with support, they asked me to put the battery back in my camera and of course, it worked.  I have fought with this for 4 days while on my trip and could not get the darn thing to work for more than 10 minutes, but when I'm home it works.  VERY FRUSTRATING.  But, I will use it A LOT over these next few days to see if the problem will duplicate.  I have a case number and will reference it if I need to call support again.  I hope I don't have to, but I don't have any faith in the problem being fixed, because absolutely nothing is different except I am no longer on my trip. 

Hiker

[ New ]

This happened to my Hero8! I plugged it into the wall charger and the camera beeped and came to life. Battery was 87%.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @deftriver4688. Have you been able to manually update your camera? Is it an original GoPro battery that you are using? 

Hiker

[ New ]

Yes manual update worked fine. It switched off briefly during the process.

Hiker

[ New ]
  • I extracted the zip file to my desktop
  • Then made a new folder which I named Update
  • Moved the folder from desktop to the USB 
  • Turned camera on - immediately started  updating
  • Be patient it takes a while
  • I saw a box on the front screen divided into two (I think this was showing me progress on the updating of the two files in the folder)
  • Then this was followed by a big tick to show updating had been completed
Tourist

[ New ]

Just to raise awareness, I also have a "won't power on issue". Seemingly randomly the camera will not turn on using quick capture or the power button. Taking the battery out and re-inserting it seems to fix it, at least temporarily. So far this has happened 3 times in 2 days, after a total of 10 / 15 quick-capture on/offs. This is with original battery, in all cases on charge of 80% or more, and v1.6 software version. 

Came here to see if others are experiencing this, which seems to be the case..

Hiker

[ New ]

Maybe we need a software update!

Tourist

[ New ]

Today two times I had to take the battery out and re-insert to turn it on, and on one occasion the camera turned off on its own during recording ( which I only found out when I went to turn it off). On two occasions this week the camera turned ON on its own, at the time I thought something in the bag pushed the button, but I think its faulty after all. Less than a month old so I will be contacting support for replacement, even though it feels like a software issue.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I have the same problem.

Brand new GoPro 8 Black. Latest Update on firmware but still, when I needed it quick to turn on it didn't turn on.

I am currently abroad and no chance to send back the camera within 30 days.

Please find a solution for that as it is very dissapointing for the quality of a new camera.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @can777er

If you have gone through the steps above and it's still the same, please reach out to our Support Team.

Please submit a request for a callback through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs, or initiate a chat conversation with one of our representatives.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]
Hello! Got the same "doesn't turn on" issue 2 times yesterday when was testing my camera. I removed the battery, waited for a little and inserted it back. Now it's Ok. And I had my camera turned on during charging once. I had this on my gopro hero 5 sometimes when I disconnected it from my PC (it didn't turn on). It probably seems like a software bug. Since gopro hero 5 the cameras have very heavy software hence the bugs.
When is the next update? Does anyone know?
Hiker

[ New ]
And one interesting thing- camera doesn't turn on from the first pushing the power button when connecting to PC. The same issue was with gopro 5. I mean, I connect the camera to pc, push power button and nothing happens, then push the second time and it turns on. Why does it happen to it?
Hiker

[ New ]
And I noticed that if my camera doesn't turn on and then I hold power button for several seconds (approximately 5 sec), the power indicator flashes once and then I can turn on the camera as usually and I don't need to reinsert the battery (it's much better :))). But I still don't understand why this happens. I have manually updated to 1.60 but it hasn't helped. And I've made the reset to factory settings. Will see now.
But it usually happened when I did many turns on - turns off the camera during my camera testing . And when are you going to make a new firmware update?
Sightseer

[ New ]

I was having this issue as soon as I received my camera and updated the firmware. I turned off the voice control and this seems to have resolved the problem until it can be patched!

Hiker

[ New ]
I see, but I turned voice control off and never turned it on
Adventurer

[ New ]

longpress for off is over 3 secs, long press for reset is 10-15 sec, and 30-35 secs. on is 1 sec short press and timelpase 3 secs

Sightseer

[ New ]

I am having the same issue, used my gopro, turned it off, was sitting for a couple of days, now it wont turn back on, i tried with two different batteries. Any ideas? 

Hiker

[ New ]

Take battery out. Make sure it is FULLY charged.

Replace and try to switch on.

If it does not work do this again.

Tourist

[ New ]

I too am intermittedly having the quick capture issue.  Every now and then I'll go to QC video and the Hero 8 won't turn on.  The only way to get it working again is to remove and reinsert the batttery.  HOWEVER, after doing so it sometimes defaults to Timewarp mode which I never use on purpose.  I never know if it's done it until I get home and look at the footage (I'm a motovlogger).

I don't know whats causing the initial issue, nor why it goes to Timewarp randomly.  And no I'm not holding the QC button for extended periods.  Maybe the battery isn't seating properly or its loose and loses connection now and then?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @epicvista1100 if you have already reset and manually updated the camera firmware, and the issue persists, it would be best to let our Support team know. This way, they can help you with the next steps. You can reach them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . 

Tourist

[ New ]

Okay thanks mariustanya, I'll contact support directly.  I manually updated the firmware to 1.60 when I got the camera, and then a month later reset it and manually updated to 1.60 again, and yep the issue has persisted.

Tourist

[ New ]

I have the same problem. I have a new GoPro Hero 8 Black and I use it e.g. when out in the sea kayaking. I use the quick capture to record videos. It is often that the camera stops completely working and does not turn on anymore. No long press of either button helps. The only cure is opening the case, removing and reinserting the battery. The batter level is typical >70%. I have two batteries and this happens with both of them. 

I have the latest 1.60 version, which I reinstalled also earlier when I had the problem that camera turned on itself. I also formatted the memory card then.

This is an annoying problem. First I thought the battery died quickly. It is not always safe to open the camera outdoors, so sometimes I miss the rest of shooting until I get to a better place. I used earlier HERO and it worked always, good buttons and simple to use. I rather hope reliable camera software and long lasting battery than lots of features. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @kaurisko, This is definitely not an expected camera behavior. If you have already gone through manually updating the camera firmware and you are using the original HERO8 Black battery and the issue persists, please let our Support team know. They will walk you through the next steps. To connect with them, visit https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Once there, select "Contact Us" and proceed with either chat or a callback request. 

Tourist

[ New ]

@mariustanya , it might not be expected behavior but I think it is very common behavior.  Mine still does it from time to time, and I've talked to several other motovloggers with Hero 8's who experience this occasionally too.  I even know a few motovloggers who won't upgrade to the Hero 8 because of this known behavior!  All on latest firmware, although it happened on previous firmware versions as well.  Batteries do not seem to be the issue as I have three batteries and it's happened with each of them.

My hunch is it's a physical problem.  I think the terminal leads inside the GoPro become disconnected from the battery leads, maybe due to a bump or something, or maybe heat?  Once this happens the GoPro loses power instantly and probably thinks the batttery has died.  Removing and reinserting the battery reseats the leads and all is normal again, EXCEPT for the odd behavior of the camera going into time lapse mode on the first quick capture power up (which I DO believe is a software issue).  This frustrating behavior also happens when the battery actually DOES die while filming and a fresh battery is installed, it almost always seems to go into time lapse mode on the first use after the battery dies.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I know this is an older thread but, I was having this same issue and stumbled upon this. I didn't read through all the pages of replies to the thread to see if someone also figured this out, but I found a way to kinda fix the issue. I will pull the battery and then reinsert the battery and that allows me to then turn the camera on. Just got this camera last week and I agree this is a BS issue. Get better GoPro.

Sightseer

[ New ]
I had 2 incidents today where the camera would not power on until I removed and reinserted the battery.
Tourist

[ New ]
I have received a warranty replacement camera and it has the same issue. I have even bought a new official battery, but the problem is still there. When is the next software update, and is this malfunction expected to be resolved, or should we be returning the cameras for refund? I am using mine with a protective case for MTB, and having to open the cage before every other trail to take out the battery is not practical, or acceptable.
GoPro

[ New ]

Sorry to hear about that, @hardyshore40011. It would be best to continue working with Support regarding this matter. Let them know that the issue persists even with the replacement camera. When you connect with them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs , you may use the same case number for easy reference. Thanks!

Sightseer

[ New ]
I also have a 8 and I must say that this sucks. My 3 black was reliable and dependable and this latest and greatest is terrible. Don't get me wrong the quality of it works is amazing. I missed so many shots this weekend because I was resetting, reformatting, resetting and pulling batteries along the trail. At one point I was ready to Alan this thing on the ground. I never cussed because of product so much while trying to have fun in trails. I guess I'm going to try and reinstall the firmware as a last resort.