Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro Hero8 not waterproof

[ New ]
i just used my brand new hero 8 in the water for the first time for some surface picture. Battery fully closed and water floating device on.
The GoPro got filled with water (including water bubbles with the front screen) and stopped working. how can this happened? where I can send the camera for immediate replacement in warranty?

Accepted Solutions
Tourist

Re: GoPro Hero8 not waterproof

[ New ]

Also experienced the same.  One use of 15mins for a snorkelling trip.  max depth 1m over shallow reef.  Camera did not show any signs of water ingress, but stopped working about 30mins later. (managed to review the footage once back on land before it refused to power on again.)  GoPro replaced camera under warranty, but have no faith that the new unit will cope any better.  Most disappointing is that this was a family holiday which can't be repeated and we lost the opportunity to capture many of the memories for which we had purchased this camera.  +1 to GoPro for replacing.  -1 for the lack of explanation of root cause.  -1 for not supplying a Waterproof case.... won't be using the unit underwater again, so its an expensive lesson.

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Sorry to know that @jerrydk88,

Please contact GoPro customer support: https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Just prepare a copy of your receipt or any proof of purchase since they might ask for it.

Regards,

-Jay

Tourist

[ New ]

i can confirm the same. I tested my go pro in a glass of water and i could see water seeping in. Very bad quality control Gopro I am losing trust and will buy a DJi OSMO instead!

GoPro

[ New ]

@fireyblaze727, so long as all camera doors are closed, the HERO8 Black is waterproof down to 10m (33ft) without housing. We try to help out as best as we can. It will be best if you can share additional information with our Support Team. Please reach out to them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives.

Tourist

[ New ]

Also experienced the same.  One use of 15mins for a snorkelling trip.  max depth 1m over shallow reef.  Camera did not show any signs of water ingress, but stopped working about 30mins later. (managed to review the footage once back on land before it refused to power on again.)  GoPro replaced camera under warranty, but have no faith that the new unit will cope any better.  Most disappointing is that this was a family holiday which can't be repeated and we lost the opportunity to capture many of the memories for which we had purchased this camera.  +1 to GoPro for replacing.  -1 for the lack of explanation of root cause.  -1 for not supplying a Waterproof case.... won't be using the unit underwater again, so its an expensive lesson.

Adventurer

[ New ]

And you think DJI is waterproof! its not.

I love to dunk mine in a video and show but  sorry I got  the tempered glass on, afraid they are as well not waterproof.  Anything glued is NOT WATERPROOF to me Lol.  wait my salt aquariums I did were they used Selicone to seal   hmmmm I said glued not seliconed Lol

Hiker

[ New ]

I purchased the Hero 6 or 7 can't remember a couple of years ago for a vacation.  I bought EVERYTHING, the water proof case, the dry packets for inside, the floating handle stick, extra batteries etc.  It was such a let down, the camera would constantly over heat, wouldn't turn on, major pain in the butt considering I couldn't use it at all to get any video underwater snorkeling.  I returned it and have been planning another vacation.  I am now very hesitant to buy a hero 8 after reading these reviews.  Does the water proof case that is out there even fit the 8 or no?

Not sure what to do.....

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @catmomma2

Yes. You no longer have to remove anything to use the case. 

-Jay

Tourist

[ New ]

for a snorkelling trip the question is why should we need the case at all?  this is my real issue with the GoPro Hero 8, the claim is waterproof to 10m, but if you can't trust that statement then its "can we have another $50 or £50 so you can be sure?" 

Hiker

[ New ]

I'd be hesitant to buy the hero 8 without the case - do they even make one?? 

I had 1 vacation completley ruined because I coudn't take any video at all - I don't want another trip ruined with another Go pro that clearly seems to still have major issues.

I'd looking at this other camera that was mentioned in another post DJI Osmo Camera seems like it's gotten good reviews for using it for snorkeling.

Hiker

[ New ]

Did you end up buying the DJI camera?  Wondering how you like it vs. the go pro.

Adventurer

[ New ]

cases are important. if  you do not want hte case get teh plus pkg.  navigate the site gopro super suit.

https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/mounts-accessories/protective-housing/AJDIV-001.html

Hiker

[ New ]

DO NOT BUY A HERO 8! AS others hhave stated on many forums and I am finding out the hard way taht the Hero 8 does overheat, easily. Spent hours on the phone with 4 different so called "Support" techs. Waste of time and money. My last. Support just tries to wear you down to give up. Go to other manufacturer camera or older like Hero 4. 

GoPro

[ New ]

@scubadvr01, it is unusual for a replacement to have an issue, and even more to have the same problem. By any chance, what's the SD card used? Using SD cards that aren't recommended can cause issues like freezing as the card isn't fast enough to write the content, the camera getting hot or battery consumption is higher than normal as the camera stays in an active mode trying to sync to the card.

If a recommended SD card is already used and you're still experiencing the issue, please let our Support team know so they can help you with the next steps. You may reach out to them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives.

Hiker

[ New ]

I've gone through "4" different support techs in one day doing tasks they wanted performed. Wasted hours of my work day. And the last one wanted me to sit around and take of a video of the camera showing "camera too hot" and send it to them. Redicilious and unacceptable. Got myself so heated I had to get off the phone. Repetative, repetative, repetative. Even though they have the notes from the other people.  Because they didn't believe me. Guy said the camera dowesn't say that. Well, I found it many times on the web where people say it does. It's all a stall tactic to wear you down. I have a 3400 mile motorcycle trip in two weeks and have no time to play around with their wasteful antics. I just got the original camera for Christmas and haven't taken it on a ride to test  because of weather. So I took it in my service vehicle. As far as the card goes, it is a recommended card on their site in a 256GB size and a V30 Sandisk. I don't skimp when I buy as I want it to work without issues. 

Adventurer

[ New ]

Sandisks from gopro may not be the best card and they may not sell the top of the line ones, these cameras are sealed. and generate heat. start  blocking a radiator of a  vehicle the same will happen.  Over heat.   for waterproof, they are, some are defects, that happens  some have no clue how to use things or screw a light bulb in.  it happens.  There are some that will just down talk gopro becaus that happens.

FISH

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi
Just bought a gopro 8 which is great. I'm planning on using it for swimming video analysis mainly. Is it OK to use for prolonged periods in chlorine or should I get the waterproof case to protect it better ?
Adventurer

[ New ]

the case cost say 50.00 the Plus pkg cost 50.00 per year.   you can get replacements if the camera fails to service  no questions asked by gopro.  so if you plan on being in water only you may opt  for and or both.  your option. I chose to simply  use the camera till it gives, and they do give .

Hiker

[ New ]

I had this same issue with the previous go pro I bought that ruined my vacation - it got so hot it would just shut off.  I had the proper SD card etc - this is a major issue with go pros and I'm quite suprised that by now these bugs and issues haven't been resolved.  

People want your product but after seeing all these glitches and issues still happening, I don't think I will purchase. For those who have an older go pro 4 - is that a good one for me to buy?  I'm a plain jane kinda gal, I don't know how to do anything fancy, I simply want something that I can use for snorkeling photos and videos.  

Hiker

[ New ]

My hero 4 stayed connected to power and recording for up to 10 hours in a day between 1080P and 4K on a motorcycle for 9 days while our group did a road trip. without overheating. Yes  downloaded video off camera at fuel stops. Seems that the 5 up to this 8 models have heating issues. All the tech support want to do is overlap each other get you to do task after task and repetitave at that until you finally give up. Just got this for Christmas and I am on my second Hero 8 that does same as first. And this was for a trip coming up in a couple weeks.  I'm a very analitical person and do diagnostic troubleshooting for my job. One hand doesn't know what the other is doing at GoPro. I will never buy another one from them again. It is pasted all over the web abotu these overheating. I should have researched more. I would not recommend anything above a 4. And I just told you the work it did on a trip, on a Harley. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks so much!  I'm hesitant to even buy the hero 4 - is the silver or black better?  I'm reading silver has a touch screen and black does not.  Would I still get a full warranty buying an old model?

Hiker

[ New ]

I have Silver. Has touch screen. 

Adventurer

[ New ]

As long as hte camera has a receipt, and is purchased new, not used.  Since gopro stopped selling the Hero 4  and is discontinued that is a tough question for sure.   Hero 4 is an awesome model if i had to get a hero 4 again I get the touchscreen one because I am now used to it, but I have a hero 4 black its top of the line 4Kvid res, wins me over .  a case will be needed for water  for sure.

Tourist

[ New ]
Same thing has happened to me - checked and all secure closed and water must have leaked in as camera went off - wipes it I. Fresh water and left to dry for 24hrs . Worst time ever for this to stop working - can someone advice what will happen - already filled in a support form on the web site - what did GoPro reply to you all have they replaced
GoPro

[ New ]

@agilelight40884, We try to help out as best as we can. If you contact our Support Team, they'll be able to look further into options on how we can assist. You can reach out to them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives.

Tourist

[ New ]
I have already done it yesterday - but nothing came up in the screen that I will be getting a call back
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @agilelight40884. We used the email address on your Hub profile but we are not able to pull up any record with Support of a callback request. When you opt for the callback request, a case number is automatically provided by the contact page. Would you have such a case number? We can use it to follow up with Support. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]

I sent you a reply on your email address wih a copyof the screen shot

GoPro

[ New ]

Sorry, @agilelight40884. I did not receive an email from you. Did you send it here, that is, through the GoPro Support Hub? Hover over my photo (to the left) and select Send Message. 

Tourist

[ New ]
sent you message with info
Tourist

[ New ]
i cannot send you any more private messages neither, its telling me that i reached my limit, to try again later - please advice
GoPro

[ New ]

Please continue filling out the form, @agilelight40884. Then proceed by choosing between starting a chat conversation or requesting a callback. 

Tourist

[ New ]
it does not allow me to choose any other option, is there a number i can call you on please
GoPro

[ New ]

There is no more contact number for the Support team, @agilelight40884. Try using a different browser, or a different device. You may also try to use an incognito browser. Changing the location to the US may also help. 

Tourist

[ New ]
Sorry, but have tried 3 different browsers and 2 different laptops, just tried again now, this is unbelievable, i hope this will not be the end of gopro products for us
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @agilelight40884

We have just tried connecting to Support to test and was able to get through.

Please try it again, select US-English as the region when initiating a chat session.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks all sorted with the support team