Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

GoPro Hero8 not waterproof

i just used my brand new hero 8 in the water for the first time for some surface picture. Battery fully closed and water floating device on.
The GoPro got filled with water (including water bubbles with the front screen) and stopped working. how can this happened? where I can send the camera for immediate replacement in warranty?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: GoPro Hero8 not waterproof

Also experienced the same.  One use of 15mins for a snorkelling trip.  max depth 1m over shallow reef.  Camera did not show any signs of water ingress, but stopped working about 30mins later. (managed to review the footage once back on land before it refused to power on again.)  GoPro replaced camera under warranty, but have no faith that the new unit will cope any better.  Most disappointing is that this was a family holiday which can't be repeated and we lost the opportunity to capture many of the memories for which we had purchased this camera.  +1 to GoPro for replacing.  -1 for the lack of explanation of root cause.  -1 for not supplying a Waterproof case.... won't be using the unit underwater again, so its an expensive lesson.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Sorry to know that @jerrydk88,

Please contact GoPro customer support: https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Just prepare a copy of your receipt or any proof of purchase since they might ask for it.

Regards,

-Jay

Highlighted
Tourist

i can confirm the same. I tested my go pro in a glass of water and i could see water seeping in. Very bad quality control Gopro I am losing trust and will buy a DJi OSMO instead!

Highlighted
GoPro

@fireyblaze727, so long as all camera doors are closed, the HERO8 Black is waterproof down to 10m (33ft) without housing. We try to help out as best as we can. It will be best if you can share additional information with our Support Team. Please reach out to them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives.

Highlighted
Tourist

Also experienced the same.  One use of 15mins for a snorkelling trip.  max depth 1m over shallow reef.  Camera did not show any signs of water ingress, but stopped working about 30mins later. (managed to review the footage once back on land before it refused to power on again.)  GoPro replaced camera under warranty, but have no faith that the new unit will cope any better.  Most disappointing is that this was a family holiday which can't be repeated and we lost the opportunity to capture many of the memories for which we had purchased this camera.  +1 to GoPro for replacing.  -1 for the lack of explanation of root cause.  -1 for not supplying a Waterproof case.... won't be using the unit underwater again, so its an expensive lesson.

Highlighted
Adventurer

[ Edited ]

And you think DJI is waterproof! its not.

I love to dunk mine in a video and show but  sorry I got  the tempered glass on, afraid they are as well not waterproof.  Anything glued is NOT WATERPROOF to me Lol.  wait my salt aquariums I did were they used Selicone to seal   hmmmm I said glued not seliconed Lol

Highlighted
Hiker

I purchased the Hero 6 or 7 can't remember a couple of years ago for a vacation.  I bought EVERYTHING, the water proof case, the dry packets for inside, the floating handle stick, extra batteries etc.  It was such a let down, the camera would constantly over heat, wouldn't turn on, major pain in the butt considering I couldn't use it at all to get any video underwater snorkeling.  I returned it and have been planning another vacation.  I am now very hesitant to buy a hero 8 after reading these reviews.  Does the water proof case that is out there even fit the 8 or no?

Not sure what to do.....

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @catmomma2

Yes. You no longer have to remove anything to use the case. 

-Jay