Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

GoPro Hero8 gps not supported in computer GoPro Quik - (confirmed w/ tech support)

Well I had a rude awakening yesterday 9/25/2020 related to my HERO8 Black purchased May-2020.

I've had a Hero5 Black since May-2017, and used it countless times to record and show gps info on my posted videos, simple example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRaZk5xYtPw 

Simply, it always worked, press quick start, ride/record.

Fast forward to Spring of 2020, I have new Hero8, I'm doing everything the same workflow:

-Record GoPro Hero8 onto 256GB MicroSD card, at times hours of footage

-download to computer via SD card (much faster than USB cable)

-Edit on desktop computer via GoPro Quik; add gps data display inside it

-Move those saved edits to iMovie, add text/other overlays, still pictures

-Publish to YouTube

To my demise I keep getting the "No GPS Data" message on screen in computer  GoPro Quik, I never had that issue before.

I kept trying different things, start up the GoPro Hero8 via menu, let is sync/find sattelities, then start the recording.

Nope, nada, nothing made gps show in in computer GoPro Quik.

So yesterday I tried to contact help, actually did thru the Chat session.

Spent over 45 minutes of real time back-n-forth with 3 different people.

Full transcript I kept, attached word.

I did update to version 2.01 firmware, that did not solve it.

Then, last tech chat person made it clear, "GoPro Hero8 gps not supported in computer GoPro Quik", I'm shocked and dismayed.

Frankly I'd not bought the Hero8 if know that, the Hero5 was very good, I just desired 4k @ 60fps and the better stabilization of the Hero8 over the Hero5.

below are key snippets:

Note: "GoPro Quik" runs on computers, "GoPro App" smartphones, similiar name but very different

(There me and the chat person back-n-forth below, sorry name not listed in transcript)

I see, just to let you know the GoPro Quik doesn't actually support GPS data for HERO8 Black as the feature is not compatible so we highly suggest to edit it via GoPro App

2:30pm

wait a minute .....

2:30pm

Okay

2:31pm

I've never heard that till just now

that sucks

it worked fine on the Hero5

Yes, the Quik For Desktop is not actually compatible to do GPS from the HERO8 Black so that's why we release a new firmware from the GoPro App so that it can edit GPS from HERO8

does the Hero9 support it?

2:32pm

We still do not have any exact information if the GPS from HERO9 Black will work for the Quik For Desktop as the camera just release

2:32pm

ahhh, my workflow is on the desktop .. not a small smartphone

2:33pm

However we will keep our website updated for further software updates

so it's a tech glitch ... the gps data is there, but the desktop app not updated to read it??

Yes,

2:34pm

somehow you changed the file format from hero5 to hero8?

2:34pm

I'd overlay the gps track visual on the video snippet, or the speed, etc

2:35pm

it made the video cooler

Oh I see

are your programmers for the desktop app working on a fix??

2:36pm

as for multi-hour video its the only practical way to edit

2:36pm

We still do not have any specific detail about that, however I can sign you up to newsletter in case for further announcement or updates

2:37pm

so .. my GoPro8 is NOT defective per say then??

Yes, it is not defective

as the program is not actually able to support the GPS feature of the camera

Well frankly I'd have kept using the goPro5 if I knew gps was not supported on the 8

2:38pm

I have sour grapes now, bad feeling

2:38pm

I understand that you're upset about the compatibility, however you can use the GoPro App for now to edit for GPS

9-25 GoPro8 gps issue without serial nums min.jpg
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: GoPro Hero8 gps not supported in computer GoPro Quik - (confirmed w/ tech support)

That is correct. Here are some alternative software options you can use on desktop computers (including the paid fix to enable Hero8/9 data in Quik): https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Telemetry-GPS-overlays/GoPro-Telemetry-Resources-software/gpm-p...

And here a quick way to visualize the GPS data of your files: https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free

Highlighted
Hiker

Re: GoPro Hero8 gps not supported in computer GoPro Quik - (confirmed w/ tech support)

Seriously ??  I'm expected to pay $49 for a 3rd party solution to a software bug in GoPro software???

Wow, I'm shock, floored, dismayed at that customer service attitude.

You'd think people would NOT buy GoPro 8's nor 9's if they knew this in advance.

Heck - I'd kept my GoPro 5, it's been sold before I found this huge issue out.

Highlighted
Hiker

Hey GoPro - can you give all us Hero8 owners $49 to pay for the below?

"Seriously ??  I'm expected to pay $49 for a 3rd party solution to a software bug in GoPro software???

Wow, I'm shock, floored, dismayed at that customer service attitude.

You'd think people would NOT buy GoPro 8's nor 9's if they knew this in advance.

Heck - I'd kept my GoPro 5, it's been sold before I found this huge issue out."

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi mtbdudex

I can help you if u want to.  Options are at least two:

1 You can use program so called race renderer. It's for free up to 3 minutes.It has nice gauges.

2 You can extract GPMF (Gosro :) Metadata by using ffmpeg. and import in enternal program and extract gpx on youre own and you can import afterwards in dashware. It's doable.

GoSro it is like a joke. Everything is a matter of memory card:)