Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro Hero8 Preview not working

[ New ]

Got my GoPro Hero 8 Black 2 days ago... I am actually pretty happy with the image quality, but:

I can't update it - neither with the App, nor manually... It always tells me when I connect it to my phone that a update is ready, but while I get the message that my GoPro will turn off multiple times on the phone: Nothing happens on the GoPro - and I get a timeout info on the phone after a while (Tried it on an Samsung S6 / Huawei P20 Lite)... So I tried to update it manually, followed the steps on the webpage, but: Nothing happend - again.

OK, whatever... I thought, how about the live preview that even worked on my GoPro Hero 3+? Even that doesn't work. I thought ok maybe I have to still connect it manually to the WiFi or whatever - Can't find the network on the phone. Changed the band from 5GHz to 2,4, still nothing happend? Is my WiFi module defective?

Greetings from Germany
Heinrich

Accepted Solutions
Tourist

Re: GoPro Hero8 Preview not working

[ New ]

Yeah that's how it should work. It didn't however...

My solution was a bit different after quite a while of trying different stuff:

I reset all my connections, reinstalled the app (Oh I will have a lot of fun setting up the Hero3+ again, as it was almost as bad as setting up the 8 black)...

I reset the Bandwidth to 2,4GHz again...

I disconnected from my existing WLAN(! Actually I think this was the most important part)

Then it kind of found the GoPro WLAN in the network list...

I connected, could do the update, and the live preview works - but seriously? Easy of use is a completely diffent story to me than that. Because I kind of have to disconnect from my home-WLAN manually everytime that I want to use the GoPro App with all it features... Why not setting up the GoPro to have a fallback to connect to the local WiFi, or that the app auto-disconnects you from the WLAN, it was irritating...

View solution in original post

All Replies
Backpacker

[ New ]

Here is a video showing you how to manually update your camera

When setting up your GoPro to your mobile device, you must do so via the app, not via the connections on your phone.  This is because the WiFi remains off until the bluetooth connection is made via the app.  The App will have a live preview but it is turned off by default, you have to click "enable preview" on the gopro app screen once you have selected your camera in the app.

Tourist

[ New ]

Yeah that's how it should work. It didn't however...

My solution was a bit different after quite a while of trying different stuff:

I reset all my connections, reinstalled the app (Oh I will have a lot of fun setting up the Hero3+ again, as it was almost as bad as setting up the 8 black)...

I reset the Bandwidth to 2,4GHz again...

I disconnected from my existing WLAN(! Actually I think this was the most important part)

Then it kind of found the GoPro WLAN in the network list...

I connected, could do the update, and the live preview works - but seriously? Easy of use is a completely diffent story to me than that. Because I kind of have to disconnect from my home-WLAN manually everytime that I want to use the GoPro App with all it features... Why not setting up the GoPro to have a fallback to connect to the local WiFi, or that the app auto-disconnects you from the WLAN, it was irritating...

Sightseer

[ New ]

I am having same issue.  I have a case open right now with GoPro because after I updated my iphone 11max pro to the IOS 14 software my prieview stoped working and I can't access any of my pictures or videos on the gopro from my phone.  I've done everything including a manual update with the rep on the phone. I've sent a screen shot of the error message to them.  It was working flawlessly prior to doing the IOS update. I'm frustrated that we could not resolve the issue because I really need my gopro preview to work for setting up camera angle correctly on my mountain bike rides.  If this doesn't get resolved hopefully Gopro will honor a replacement. I haven't even had this camera for 3 months.

Tourist

[ New ]

i get exactly the same with iphone 11, ios 14.1. mine is a brand new hero 8, and as soon as have used it 3 x fail right out of the box. wont connect to  do firmware update so did manually, then wont preview even though done all the steps on these forums, then will not upload media (the most important) to my phone. user experience from unboxing has been shocking for such a $$$$$ device. cost me over $500 so contacted go pro who indicated "they are closed" and so contacted amazon and in a few hours if this i not fixed im returning the whole thing back to amazon. Shocking. Really was excited to get a go pro but wow, its really sub par. Heard hero 9 has the SAME issues so wont be getting that either. sorry yours does not work either. Massive fail from go pro. Hope you get a refund. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @scottysmile188888

Sorry for any trouble caused. 

What app version are you using?

To help isolate the issue, would you mind pairing the camera with another phone?

Let us know how it goes.
You may also reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs  for further assistance.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi i spent 1 hour 14 min with support today who could not get your go pro 8 to work with ios 14. We have latest firmware, latest approved SD card, latest updates on ios and pairing for firmware update, pairing for preview, and transferring media fails. As your highly trained engineers cannot fix it i have now returned all to amazon for a $600 refund.  i have also asked amazon to update their page to be sure other customs are aware that the go pro has issues with iphones ios 14 an they have asked me to make sure i leave a review. Its disappointing a global company cannot test their devices with apple and yes i could purchase an android device to possibly get success as you suggest but i will keep my iphone and just get my refund. thank you for your message. 

Highlighted
Sightseer

[ New ]

Same problem.  Everything was working fine on Thursday (and had been for months).  Yesterday the GoPro Hero 8 suddenly decided that it wasn't going to connect using WiFi.  Can't preview.  Huge pain.  Tried a factory reset on the camera.  Have turned everything on and off again repeatedly.  It meant a lot of extra time rendering video yesterday because everything was off center when I recorded.  Help.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @heathern3

If you haven't yet, please reach out to Support to have this checked further.

You may submit a request for a callback or initiate a chat session through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Please let them know of the troubleshooting steps taken.

Heads up! Our team is currently working through a volume of contacts, response time may be slightly longer than usual. We appreciate your understanding.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
Very interesting - I reset all, uninstalled the app, and did all from scratch and used my iPad. Same iOS version. I also did NOT rename the go pro. I then connected and can you believe it preview worked. I took a pic and did video. I then did the same on iPhone and preview worked. Then it’s not all happy story though. I did view media. It worked but was terribly slow. Then noticed I started seeing fails again. I then went back iPad and preview was intermittent and generally loading media was always a fail. It’s too unreliable to use. So the step forward is remove all the app and reset. Then don’t change a thing. I used 2.4Ghz also as 5Ghz was flakey. From
My experience so far the software is just buggy and unreliable and I would not want to trust it to work for any length of time. Sometimes preview just crash out. Also I could NEVER get preview to work if I have the battery door open and charging at the same time which is what I need for vlogging. Will try with android. I think go pro just never tested well with apple iOS and there are multiple bugs so recommend assume preview will not work and only can get media by USB mode or take sd card out. Also you MUST take a photo when connected via the app before you try to transfer media to your device. I think also we should be getting paid by go pro for this as we are now part of their testing team so I will need to invoice them for my time. Thanks.
Tourist

[ New ]
Of course I did this and it was a complete waste of 1 hour and 14 min with a person who I don’t even think owns or has used a go pro before. I knew a lot more than they did.
Tourist

[ New ]

Yeah, well, after months of usage I am at the point where I am disappointed. Why? Not because of the hardware. The cam itself is nice, could have had faster charge, interchangeable lens (Who the F*CK got rid of that????) and longer batterylife, but the image quality is nice for such a small sensor. The software on the other hand is in the "What were they thinking"-territory. I wouldn't be mad if GoPro was a new start-up and things were just coming along... But seriously? They were one of the first - they had practically a monopol on those action-cams - they existed for 18 years... There is NO reason whatsoever to have that buggy software. I am kind of happy that I don't need the software too much, as the GoPro 8 actually can be setup pretty well from the Menü itself. And for most usecases I can take a look at it on the screen itself... But if I have it on my helmet e.g. it sucks... Have had the GoPro 3+ Black and now the GoPro 8... But, if they years will pass - probably next time, as there actually is good competition nowadays, I will take an even closer look at those (I actually almost went with another action cam, it was just out of stock, I don't exactly regret my choice, but I am not absolutely stoked either). Now I am just waiting for how durable it is... My GoPro 3 is still alive, so I am not expecting less out of the 8... If it dies sooner - you can bet I am out ;-).

Tourist

[ New ]
Try putting your phone on aeroplane mode. I am getting more success now. Still some drop outs but also some connection too. I have not deleted any apps that could be conflicting. I am using same wifi and just reset the go pro a few times. Basically the trick might be go to aeroplane mode, then start go pro app, then go to your go pro, remove the battery, reinsert, then turn on, back to go pro app, select control my go pro and see if preview works. Good luck.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone!

We have recently released an update for the GoPro App.

Make sure to restart your phone before pairing the camera again.

Let us know how it goes with the new version.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
Ok will give it a try thanks
Tourist

[ New ]
Hi there Ej, can confirm the new version made things worse and now preview and transfer media never ever works. Can you let me know how I go back to the old version please and can you raise a case with your developers they need to start testing software before releasing it. My go pro 8 is basically now detached again with having to remove SD card to get media. Can you get them to fix it today please. Thanks
Tourist

[ New ]

Hi Folks, do not upgrade your app to the latest go pro app if you want to get some connections working (intermittent). confirmed go pro version 7.1 (4135) works for preview (intermittent) whereby the new version the go pro team told me to use 7.2 (4236) does NOT work at all, even intermittently..... do NOT upgrade your app version if you use apple ios. can go pro start testing this stuff PLEASE? thanks

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @scottysmile188888

Let our Support Team check on this further.

You may submit a request for a callback or initiate a chat session through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Heads up! Our team is currently working through a volume of contacts, response time may be slightly longer than usual.

We appreciate your understanding.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi there, thanks for your message. Go pro told me wait 2-3 days for a response on Monday. Now 5 days and no response as to why the software is not reliable. It’s incredibly frustrating to purchase tech that is not tested and working with major phones like iPhone 11.
Tourist

[ New ]

What the heck is wrong with this app for the hero 8 black?, working one minute then not the next? Why hasn't this been addressed by GoPro support team and fixed?, this best be fixed in the next few days or mine is going back, what a load of rubbish, you know how to ruin a birthday present don't you GoPro!.