Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Backpacker

Re: GoPro Hero8 Change Orientation

this is normal.....
any orientation you record, the camera will play it upright...
trying to give you the best experience.
moreover, if orientation is not locked, the camera will rotate the playback....

but!...the footage will have a field that indicate to all playback software’s what was the original orientation of the record....

Highlighted
Tourist

NO,

that is the problem, the orientation is not always upright when i flip the camera over or rotate it.

it's supposed to..... the settinggs are set, it just does not auto rotate on the video just on the screen while filming.

Highlighted
Nomad

Are you powering on the camera using the side button and then recording when this happens?  Or are you using quick capture (ie. pressing the shutter button to power on the camera and start recording immediately)?

Highlighted
Tourist

Quick capture!  is that the problem?

Highlighted
Nomad

Yes, if you use quick capture it starts recording before the camera recognizes it's orientation.  If you're mounting the camera upside down, you'll need to power on properly (using the side button) and then start recording after it powers up.  Quick capture is all about recording ASAP, so a lot of features are disabled as a result in order to capture video ASAP.

Highlighted
Tourist

Ahhh!!!,

thanks for the inrormation..

Highlighted
Adventurer

yeah I had to head out so yeah 10 seconds was all I had time for but you finally  figurred it out now how I resolve the post  how do I accept the solution.

Highlighted
Sightseer

Hi, were you able to resolve this issue? I'm having the same problem and even with all mentioned suggestions I still can't get my video to record upright whlie having GoPro upside down, although taking photos work fine this way.