Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro Hero8 Black decides to record in Time Lapse mode, why?

[ New ]

GoPro Hero8 Black has been working great up until a couple of weeks ago. Out of the blue, it started to record a few videos in Time Lapse mode. One video was at the beginning of the day, while others were in between regular videos. Every time I'm just pressing the record button. I use original GoPro Hero8 rechargeable batteries with SanDisk Extreme and Extreme Pro memory cards. Format the memory cards before each use. Not sure why, or how, it started to switch modes. GoPro is in great condition, I've never dropped it and always store it after every use. Thank you in advance for your help.

Accepted Solutions
Nomad

Re: GoPro Hero8 Black decides to record in Time Lapse mode, why?

[ New ]

How are you powering on your camera?  Are you using the mode/power button on the side of the camera?  Or are you using the shutter/quick capture button on the top of the camera?

If you are using the quick capture method (which means GPS isn't established, camera orientation may not be established and rear screen is locked out) your GoPro will start recording video.  However if you're pressing and holding the button, this will enable timelapse mode.

It's best to power on your camera using the side mode/power button and then start recording.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nomad

[ New ]

How are you powering on your camera?  Are you using the mode/power button on the side of the camera?  Or are you using the shutter/quick capture button on the top of the camera?

If you are using the quick capture method (which means GPS isn't established, camera orientation may not be established and rear screen is locked out) your GoPro will start recording video.  However if you're pressing and holding the button, this will enable timelapse mode.

It's best to power on your camera using the side mode/power button and then start recording.

Tourist

[ New ]

Thank you so much for the quick response! I'm using the quick capture button at the top of the camera. I wondered if holding the quick capture button a bit too long (not being aware) was what was triggering the time lapse mode. I'll play with it again and try to duplicate. Thank you again for the quick response and excellent tip! Have a great day!

Tourist

[ New ]

By the way, I had dropped off my GoPro Hero8 at the store before I contacted the GoPro Support Hub. After I read your response, I contacted them so they can test the quick capture button. I thought about picking up the GoPro and playing with it, but decided for them to test it in case the quick capture button is sticking. I've never had any issues with the quick capture button until recently, and I only found out because a few of my videos were recorded in time lapse. I've never thought about holding the button too long (now I know that changes the mode to time lapse) and have recorded many videos by just pressing the quick capture button. We'll see it they find a problem. Again, thank you for the timely response. Have a great day!

Tourist

[ New ]

By the way (#2), I purchased another GoPro Hero8 while at the store since I'm not sure how long it will take for them to test my original.