Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

GoPro Hero7 - Blurry video

[ Edited ]

Hello, just very recently I bought my first action camera, I was super excited watching videos of the Hero 7 since the video quality was just so good. First time recording with It I was quite dissapoited, I took it down a local trail and the video just didn't seem the way I expected it to be. At some parts you can see how blurry and and wierd the camera behaves. I'm wondering If It's spacifically my camera or Is anyone else expiriencing the same problem as I am. The video was filmed on 1080p, 60fps and with HyperSmooth ON. I'm thankful and open to any suggestions. Thanks. Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uno_1qYmEoQ

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: GoPro Hero7 - Blurry video

Was Protune on or off?
Part of what you are seeing is motion blur (which actually looks pretty good since it give a sense of speed), however it's also causing more softening and blurring in the stabilization (because the shutter is too slow from low light).

The YouTube compression also looks like it's having some effect on this video. If you can, try rendering this video in 4K with a bitrate of 40.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your camera but you can tweek the settings and maybe get better results.

1st, Just try using a higher ISO to allow the camera to maintain a faster shutter (the higher you go, the more noise/grain, so don't go too high).

2nd, try locking your shutter speed at either 1/120 or 1/240. The faster the shutter 1/240 or even 1/480, the crisper (but also darker) each frame will be.

3rd, try either (or both) the suggestions above but also drop the sharpness to Low or medium

4th, try 1,2,& 3 with WB manually set (start at 5500K and adjust from there as needed) and Color Flat.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Explorer

Was Protune on or off?
Part of what you are seeing is motion blur (which actually looks pretty good since it give a sense of speed), however it's also causing more softening and blurring in the stabilization (because the shutter is too slow from low light).

The YouTube compression also looks like it's having some effect on this video. If you can, try rendering this video in 4K with a bitrate of 40.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your camera but you can tweek the settings and maybe get better results.

1st, Just try using a higher ISO to allow the camera to maintain a faster shutter (the higher you go, the more noise/grain, so don't go too high).

2nd, try locking your shutter speed at either 1/120 or 1/240. The faster the shutter 1/240 or even 1/480, the crisper (but also darker) each frame will be.

3rd, try either (or both) the suggestions above but also drop the sharpness to Low or medium

4th, try 1,2,& 3 with WB manually set (start at 5500K and adjust from there as needed) and Color Flat.

Highlighted
Tourist

Heyo, first of all, thanks for taking a look at my problem. This video was filmed with Protune on, default settings. You were right, I thinks It's my fault, I'm just going to play around with the settings a bit and give It another go. Have a great day and thanks alot!