Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer
Accepted Solution

GoPro Hero7 Black playback

Hi guys,
I recently bought a Hero7 Black for holiday. Whilst away shot a few picture and videos and was so happy with the quality of the pics and vids. However I went diving and recorded several pictures and videos, when trying to look at them on the camera or phone it says media unavailable or unable to play.

What’s going on? What have I missed?

Any help will be appreciated.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: GoPro Hero7 Black playback

Hello @bravewave20168. What do you get instead of a playback on the camera? Is there any error message that appears? Are you able to access the after-dive files using your computer? If you are, try saving the files on the SD card to your computer first, and format the SD card. Next, perform a manual update following the steps below: 

1. Go to the Update page and choose your HERO7 camera.
  2. Under "Other ways to update" at the base of the page, click "Update your camera manually."
  3. Enter your Serial Number and other requested information, click Next Step.
  4. Click "Download Update."
  5. Click "Click here to download firmware."
  6. Follow the steps on the screen for detailed instructions for your operating system. 

If you are already using a recommended SD card, please make sure to format it prior to the update process. The camera also needs to be fully charged to accommodate the update. Let us know how it goes. Thanks!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @bravewave20168,

Thanks for reaching out. That's a bit odd and I find it unusual if the footage appears unreadable or unavailable when previewed directly in the camera. 

Is this something that you noticed right on after diving? Or were you able to preview them before and this just happened all of the sudden recently?

If you take a test ten (10) seconds video recording (set using the standard setting 1080P 60FPS) right now, are you still getting the same error on the in-camera preview?

Also, try connecting your microSD card to your computer using an SD card reader or adapter. Then see if you will be able to view the files from there.

Hoping to hear back from you.

Kind Regards,
Ann

Highlighted
Sightseer

Hi Ann thanks for the reply.

Yes I noticed it straight after diving, all videos and pics up to the dive are fine. Anything after that is unable to view.
Did a 10 sec recording at 1080p and 50fps but it still will not let me view in my phone or camera.
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @bravewave20168. What do you get instead of a playback on the camera? Is there any error message that appears? Are you able to access the after-dive files using your computer? If you are, try saving the files on the SD card to your computer first, and format the SD card. Next, perform a manual update following the steps below: 

1. Go to the Update page and choose your HERO7 camera.
  2. Under "Other ways to update" at the base of the page, click "Update your camera manually."
  3. Enter your Serial Number and other requested information, click Next Step.
  4. Click "Download Update."
  5. Click "Click here to download firmware."
  6. Follow the steps on the screen for detailed instructions for your operating system. 

If you are already using a recommended SD card, please make sure to format it prior to the update process. The camera also needs to be fully charged to accommodate the update. Let us know how it goes. Thanks!