Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: GoPro Hero5 black and telemetry out of sync in Quick

Hi,

I have a new Hero6 Black, and used it to film a kart race on Wed.  I have the latest firmware and latest Quik app on my Macbook Pro.  I also tried to use the gauges to show GPS position and speed, and the data is wildly out of sync with the video!  I filmed in 1080 50FPS.  The GPS data seems to speed ahead massively even before the race actually started.  It's embarassingly bad.

Is there a resolution for this yet?

Also, I'd like to know how I can use the GPS data for a whole 30min race overlaid onto the video, without being constrained to Quik's 60s timelines - does anyone know how that can be done?

Cheers,

Ade

Sightseer

I am having a similar issue, but it is with older videos. It seems the telemetry is tied to the video, not Quik, as the same camera (Hero5 Black) has the issue with older videos, but not newer ones.

I added the telemetry to the videos in the same session and even tried to "re-add" them, but it made no difference.

GoPro, we need a way to resync the data. I am a programmer, it isn't hard. You have a length of telemetric data, you have a length of video, interpolate them to be the same.

A firmware update on the camera probably fixed this, but it won't fix my prior videos.
Tourist

Just to update, I shot 2 different 15min kart races in the same evening, only 30min apart.  The first had the gauges out of sync, the second had them completely in sync for the full 15min race.  I turned the camera off after the first, and on just before the second race.  I tried both the GoPro iPhone App, and the Macbook app and they both did the same, so proves it's more about the video and how the telemetry is encoded, rather than the app used to add the gauges with the recorded footage.

Please investigate and sort this out GoPro?

GoPro

Appreciate you sharing results of your tests, @snowyshore30526 . The team in charge is already aware of the issue and is working on it. We will keep you posted. Thanks again!

Hiker

@snowyshore30526, have being puzzled by the same issue.
To get GPS overlay without the 60s constraint, click the scissor icon, you'll have a timeline of the entire clip, save it as video. If your session was automatically divided into multiple 4GB files, repeat the process for each and join them in other video editing software.
Even the whole world is going mobile, I still don't understand GoPro ignore such obvious needs in a desktop app.
Tourist

Hi,

I just tried to upload the video (an MP4 from Quik with the gauges overlaid), and after a few minutes the site reported: The contents of the attachment doesn't match its file type.

Please advise?

Tourist

Thanks!

Hiker

[ Edited ]

Some latest update on the issue - Pay attention to the micro-sd card!

I've been in contact with gopro local customer service on the issue, one of the suggestions they made was to change the card, which I didn't take seriously. After all I have been using a UHSII lexar 1000x 64G card, everything is fine except for the telemtry data issue.

Running out of settings to try, swap the card out for a older slower sandisk UHSI card from my old Hero 4 Black. Did another Kart race, and the problem is GONE! The telemetry is in SYNCH with the footage, perfectly!

Earlier this week I sold the hero6 black and get a new Hero7 Black, put the lexar card in, had a run on another track, the problem returned! Haven't got chance to try the other card with Hero7. At lease I've repeated the issue with a different camera and different location, so there must be something between gopro and the lexar UHSII card. Anyone has run into the same issue, please check the card specs, the latest and best might not work for your gopro.

p.s. Hero 6 is probably the most sd card sensitive device ever made, see gopro's recommendation page, rather self- explainatary.

https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations