Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Backpacker

Re: GoPro Hero5 Session and severe artifacting/ghosting

[ New ]

can i ask why with protune off your not getting the issue, why are you bothering messing with it? I only ever use protune when doing nightlapse

Tourist

[ New ]

@danielr15 wrote:
I don't have the technical reason for why Native causes the artifacting, but I assume it has to do with losing the compensation the processor normally would do when it is turned off. I've found that setting the wb manually gives me the best look overall, but Auto does a pretty good job. When I'm shooting from different cameras I like to manually adjust the wb to the closest consistent look. I also use Premiere and with the new color match option, I leave the camera with the best color with normal saturation and mute the rest (Flat color profile). The other option is to take one or two photos with full color and have all cameras on a Flat profile. I then use the photo, or full color video, as the match source. It really speeds up the process and I can usually get all camera sources looking pretty similar.

For it to be as bad as the image is that I posted in this thread, its really unaccetable. I am by no means professional when it comes to photography. All I wanted was a small camera to record game footage. With my little knowledge with Adobe Premier I wanted to control the colors to my liking. But with ProTune on, its really unusable. I cant imagine GoPro allowing a defect this bad in a product.  When you have WB set to Native are you seeing artificating like mine?

Tourist

[ New ]

@duanem8 wrote:

can i ask why with protune off your not getting the issue, why are you bothering messing with it? I only ever use protune when doing nightlapse

Doing some research on YouTube it seems to be recommended to turn ProTune on set WB Native and use a desktop app like Premier to do the color corrections for the best possible qualtity.

Backpacker

[ New ]

my advice would be to ignore everyone elses advice. The best thing to do is have a play & experiment, once your happy with the results stick with it

Explorer

[ New ]
Agreed.
Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks everyone for the help and responses I really appreciate it!

My plan is to ship the item back (It was a refurb) and purchase a new unused one (Im first going to record another game with all auto settings set to on), which should arrive sometime at the end of next week. I will update this post with the results. That in my opinion will truly show if its a defective camera or a settings issue.

Thanks again and Ill post an update :)