Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro Hero5 Session and severe artifacting/ghosting

[ New ]

recently purchased a GoPro Hero5 Session. I recently wore the camera on my helmet during an ice hockey game.

The settings were as follows:

Resolution: 2.7k
FPS: 48
FOV: Medium
Video Stabilization: On
Low Light: On
Spot Meter: Off
Protune: On
White Balance: Native
Color: Flat
Shutter: Auto
ISO Limit: 400
EV: 0
Sharpness: Medium

What I immediately noticed when playing back on my PC is that the ice looked white, however there was some sever artifacting/ghosting on only some sections of the ice making it look yellow. After some color corrections, it exaggerated the yellow sections on the ice even more. For example, the inner circle on the ice might be white, but outside of the center ice circle it would have big sections of yellow artificats. Im not sure if this is a defect in the camera I got (Its a refurb) or this is a known issue and can be corrected with some settings.

Please help, thank you
Tom

GoPro

Re: GoPro Hero5 Session and severe artifacting/ghosting

[ New ]

Hello @epicpike6367

Will you be able to post a sample picture? Also, do you observe the artifact with other photo or video files? If you have not done it yet, try manually updating the HERO5 Session that you have. This is even if the camera already has the latest firmware. Manually updating the firmware will correct any possible error with the current installation. After the update, please record/capture sample media again so we can determine if it is a camera issue. By the way, is your SD card among the recommended ones here

You can find manual update instructions through this article. Make sure that the camera is fully charged and that the SD card is formatted prior to the update. It is important to save all your files first as formatting the card will erase all those files. Hope to hear back from you. 

Best regards, 
Marius

Tourist

[ New ]

You can see the issue here on the attachment. I increased the the color & constrast to really make it pop out. But thats the light yellows I see in the background. Any idea what that is?

issue.png
Backpacker

[ New ]

have you tried recording with protune off & settings on auto

Explorer

[ New ]

Why are you using Native White Balance? It's much better to just set the correct kelvin temperature or just use auto. Native can make it very difficult to color correct and should only be used if you are filming with several different cameras, all using Native or Log color profiles.

Also, if you want 48fps, do not use Auto Low light. This will allow the camera to drop the frame rate. It's better to just set the frame rate setting to what you need. If the image is too dark, adjust accordingly yourself. Auto Low Light is really for times when you are moving from light to dark situations and don't want to, or are unable to, take the time to make the adjustment yourself.

Color Flat is fine if you are color grading, but you should also lower the ev. The Flat color profile will give you more detail in shadow, but lowering the ev will allow for more detail in your highlights, less flare from the light on the ice, and more uniform exposure.

Your sharpness is fine on medium, but you might want to try Low if the above suggestions don't correct your image appropriately. Applying the sharpness manually in your editor will almost always give you a better picture if your willing to put in the time correcting.

If all of the above doesn't correct the issue, then it might be the camera. However, I'm pretty sure most of issue is coming from the Native WB.

Tourist

[ New ]
@duanem8 wrote:

have you tried recording with protune off & settings on auto

Yes I just turned ProTune off and all settings to auto earlier today. It just about removed the issue. I was able to repo the issue at home shining a bright light on a blank white wall. With the settings to auto and protune off it eliminated it enough to the point where I probably wouldnt then have noticed the issue. I would have to post edit the video and push the saturation/color corrections high to start seeing the problem again.

Tourist

[ New ]

@danielr15 wrote:

Why are you using Native White Balance? It's much better to just set the correct kelvin temperature or just use auto. Native can make it very difficult to color correct and should only be used if you are filming with several different cameras, all using Native or Log color profiles.

Also, if you want 48fps, do not use Auto Low light. This will allow the camera to drop the frame rate. It's better to just set the frame rate setting to what you need. If the image is too dark, adjust accordingly yourself. Auto Low Light is really for times when you are moving from light to dark situations and don't want to, or are unable to, take the time to make the adjustment yourself.

Color Flat is fine if you are color grading, but you should also lower the ev. The Flat color profile will give you more detail in shadow, but lowering the ev will allow for more detail in your highlights, less flare from the light on the ice, and more uniform exposure.

Your sharpness is fine on medium, but you might want to try Low if the above suggestions don't correct your image appropriately. Applying the sharpness manually in your editor will almost always give you a better picture if your willing to put in the time correcting.

If all of the above doesn't correct the issue, then it might be the camera. However, I'm pretty sure most of issue is coming from the Native WB.

Thanks for the help and suggestions! I am using a 3 different cameras to record different positions of the game, but I chose Native for white balance thinking I would do all the coloring in Adobe Premier. After some testing yesterday I did notice turning off the Native White Balance did have the biggest impact on the artificats. Why is that? Your assumption seems to be correct. Why is Native WB having the biggest impact with the artificating? They where still there and still an issue but not as pronounced. I also since manually flashed the camera and installed a supported SD card, but neither made any differences. Thnaks again

Explorer

[ New ]
I don't have the technical reason for why Native causes the artifacting, but I assume it has to do with losing the compensation the processor normally would do when it is turned off. I've found that setting the wb manually gives me the best look overall, but Auto does a pretty good job. When I'm shooting from different cameras I like to manually adjust the wb to the closest consistent look. I also use Premiere and with the new color match option, I leave the camera with the best color with normal saturation and mute the rest (Flat color profile). The other option is to take one or two photos with full color and have all cameras on a Flat profile. I then use the photo, or full color video, as the match source. It really speeds up the process and I can usually get all camera sources looking pretty similar.