Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist
Accepted Solution

GoPro Hero3+ Silver Reset Issues

I have followed the "update wifi and firmware update" instructions as well as the "update wifi and password only" and "update firmware only" and nothing works. When I turn on my GoPro after plugging back in the micro sd card nothing happens. Not once. Does that mean it's up to date? Also, I have purchased this GoPro from a friend who didn't remember the password anymore and said if I could figure out how to reset it that it was mine. Well, I've been trying on and off for about 6 months now and I can't get it to work at all. When I try and use the app to link to it it continues to pop up with whatever name and password he had previously set up that he couldn't remember. Is there no way to just wipe the GoPro and do a factory reset on it because this is getting to be absolutely ridiculous and very frustrating. Thanks in advance to anyone who's got any kind of suggestion that may help.

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: GoPro Hero3+ Silver Reset Issues

Hello @jesterusn

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Let us help. You are on the right track, that is, in doing a manual update in order to change the Wi-Fi name and password of the camera. As the camera was named before, the only way to reset password is to do the manual update. 

We can try again but first make sure that you delete the update folders that you have downloaded from the update page. Then go through the "update Wi-Fi and firmware" steps again. This will download an UPDATE.zip folder on your computer. Then extract the UPDATE (non-zip) folder from it. This folder that contains the update files must be named UPDATE [all caps, no other characters like (1)].

Make sure that SD card is formatted prior to saving the UPDATE folder so that it is only the UPDATE folder that will be in there. If you see DCIM, MISC or any other item on the SD card, go ahead and delete them. It would be best if you are using a recommended SD card as found on this list

Prior to putting the SD card back into the camera, ensure that the camera is fully charged. On turn the camera on once the SD card is already inserted. The front screen of the camera will display update progress information and will indicate completion of the update. 

Let us know how it works out. 

Thanks, 
Marius

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

Re: GoPro Hero3+ Silver Reset Issues

Hello @jesterusn

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Let us help. You are on the right track, that is, in doing a manual update in order to change the Wi-Fi name and password of the camera. As the camera was named before, the only way to reset password is to do the manual update. 

We can try again but first make sure that you delete the update folders that you have downloaded from the update page. Then go through the "update Wi-Fi and firmware" steps again. This will download an UPDATE.zip folder on your computer. Then extract the UPDATE (non-zip) folder from it. This folder that contains the update files must be named UPDATE [all caps, no other characters like (1)].

Make sure that SD card is formatted prior to saving the UPDATE folder so that it is only the UPDATE folder that will be in there. If you see DCIM, MISC or any other item on the SD card, go ahead and delete them. It would be best if you are using a recommended SD card as found on this list

Prior to putting the SD card back into the camera, ensure that the camera is fully charged. On turn the camera on once the SD card is already inserted. The front screen of the camera will display update progress information and will indicate completion of the update. 

Let us know how it works out. 

Thanks, 
Marius