Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist
Accepted Solution

GoPro Hero session 5 not turning on/not charging

After a long 18 hour flight, my hero 5 session was stored in my carry on back pack.  I did not use it for 2 days and the battery is empty.  As soon as I got home I tried charging it. 

There were no sign of red light indicating that the device is charging.  After a few seconds, bottom and the side of the camera is really hot.  So I let it cool down for a couple days, and tried to charge or turn it on.  No indications of charging nor turning on.  I tried resetting it by holding down the record and menu button, but zero signs of life on the device.

I purchased GoPro Hero Session 5 with a GoPro Hero 5 Black 3 months ago and I feel dissapointed.  I am GoPro fan, and have purchased all my action cam from GoPro.  

Please provide me some solutions to recover my dead Session 5.

Dino

Accepted Solutions
GoPro Community Manager

Re: GoPro Hero session 5 not turning on/not charging

@boldsand4204 - We have some steps to try at https://gopro.com/help/articles/Solutions_Troubleshooting/HERO5-Session-Will-Not-Power-On. If you have another power supply and/or USB-C cable you can try, that would be a good first step to see if those might be the issue.

Thanks,

Jeff

View solution in original post

All Replies
Hiker

Hello i got the same problem.

To resolve I had to let my GoPro charging until minimum 40% (even if becoming hot) then I updated firmware to 1.55.

now everything is working fine battery is not discharging anymore (I check everyday since last week).

so check your firmware.

Tourist

Thank you for the response.

But currently, the session 5 wont even turn on. The temperature of the device reach to the level that its very hot to touch.

I dont want to continue charging it due to safety reason and/or might lead to a serious damage to the device.
Sightseer

same situation, session 5 gets really hot, no charging LED, wont turn on, make any beeps,

Cant update firmware!

Solution GoPro?

Sightseer

I am having the same issue. Brand new, turned on while driving home from the store, put it on charger, now nothing.

Sightseer

OK, after some further searching I found this on another thread and it worked for me, "try holding the back button down ten full seconds, then hold the back button, while pressing the Shutter  for a good ten seconds,. remove sd card. and retry the buttons." (ffishycomics)

Sightseer

This worked for me, thank you so much! I held the menu button for 10 sec, then continued holding it while pressing the shutter button quickly for another 10 seconds and suddenly the GoPro unit turned on. 

Adventurer

@benj2017 wrote:

This worked for me, thank you so much! I held the menu button for 10 sec, then continued holding it while pressing the shutter button quickly for another 10 seconds and suddenly the GoPro unit turned on. 

You're welcomed guys a high five   please.