Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

GoPro Hero + Will not record or stay on.

Hello,

My GoPro Hero + will no longer record viedo. Once the record button has been pushed and the red light turns on, the timer last no longer than 30 seconds before the recording stops on its own. I have reformatted my sim card by fallowing the intructions provided by GoPro. Once I insert the reformatted sim card to my camera and power it on I am met with a message that states a sim card error and gives me the option to fix the issue with the camera. I select the option to fix the issue and all seems well. When I go to iniate the recording again I am met with the same issue of the camera manually stopping the recording session. On top of that, the 10 - 30 seconds of recording is not even being captured. When I view the contents of the sim card with my computer, there are not new videos to be found. I have been working on troubleshooting this issue for a while now. At times the camera has locked up all together on me, and I had to wait for the battery to drain itself to power off the camera. The camera has not suffered any damage, nor has it been submereged in any water.  I hope that the GoPro team has corrected the disconect previously experienced from their customer support. The camera was awesome, day one, and documented great expereinces for me. I would love to be able to fix the camera I have, in order to keep the stoke going! Thank you in advance for your support!

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: GoPro Hero + Will not record or stay on.

Hello, @wkenshur. How long have you had your HERO+ camera? Is this issue only observed recently? 

Which SD card are you using? The brand, type, and capacity information will be helpful. 

To further isolate the issue, we recommend doing a manual firmware update for the camera, that is if you have not done it yet. This process will help clear out any possible issues with the current installation. 

The steps under Manual Update here will guide you through the process. Let us know how it goes. Thanks!

Highlighted
Tourist

Hello @mariustanya

Thank you for your quick response! 

I have had my HERO + for 4 years. It worked perfectly well for the first year, no issues. At some point after the first year these issues started. There was minimal help to be found for this issue, and since the camera was less than two years old and had very little use, I was in no rush to purchase a new one.

I have ran the firmeware update (fallowing the procedure provided by GoPro) and it was recieved with no issue by the the Mirco SD card and the camera. 

The Mirco SD card I have been soley using is a San Disk Ultra Plus, 32 GB HC1. This was the card recomended at the retail store as one of the best options for this specific camera, at the time. 

Again, I used this SD card with the camera for over a year with no issue. 

Since my first post, I confirmed I have the latest firmware on my SD card and camera. Afer a successfull update I was able to record for 15 minutes at home with no issues. This is a new record. 

I decided to take the camera on a walk with me, fully charged, to confirm I could record for a longer period. 

One minute after starting to record video, the camera stopped recording on its own. It would not allow me to initate a new recording session. As I started to scroll through camera options, everything started to lock up. I was able to power thte camea off at this point. When I attempt to power the camera back on, nothing happened. The camera is currenltly off or at least none responsive, with only the batterty life (full) being deplayed. This is not the first time this scenario as played out and I expect I will have to wait for the battery to drain itself before I can attempt to re-charge and power on to further attempt to trouble shoot.

Please advise for the next steps.

Thank you. 

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @wkenshur

Ultra cards are not recommended to be used with GoPro cameras. They may work initially but they are observed to cause issues with the camera eventually.

It is best to use one of the recommended cards on the list here: SD Cards that Work with GoPro Cameras

See if using another card from the list will help.

It will also be best to run the update with the recommended card.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi @aragon1006 Ej,

I have ordered the San Disk Extreme, 32GB mircro SDHC card as refernced on GoPro's, "SD cards that work with GoPro camearas," list. It is the first recomended Micro SD option listed for the Hero + and the Hero + LCD models. 

I will fallow up after I received the SD Card and have tested it out on my GoPro Hero +.  I will be sure to re-run the Firmware update with the new Micro SD Card as well. 

Thank you. 

Highlighted
Tourist

GoPro Heoro + update: San Disk Extreme, 32GB mircro SDHC card (Recomended by GoPro) has proven to reslove the issue so far. I have recorded videos over 40 minutes long 3 times so far with none of the previous issues. The camera will stay in recording mode and does not seize up at any time either. I did download the most recent firmware update for my camera and use the new Micro SD to upload on to my GoPro. No issues there either. As expected, the videos are segmented into 12 minutes incrementes, by GoPro's design, and I fully expect to be able to join them in editing. I do not expect any issues going forward. I will reach out again if I experience any issues going forward. 

Thank you GoPro Team!

Highlighted
GoPro

Glad to hear that, @wkenshur. Let us know if anything else comes up. Stay stoked, and have fun capturing moments using your GoPro!