Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

GoPro Hero 9 webcam preview lag

Ok, so i just go my gopro hero 9, and one of the reasons i bought was to use as webcam.

I installed the software, on windows, everything ok, but when i get to preview on the software and also on obs studio and others apps, the video feed lags and then comeback ok right away. Got the last firmware on the camera. Since i need a continous video feed, i would like to know if there is something i can do about or if you can check what the problem is.

If there is no solution, i will have to send back and ask for refund since it is a big deal for me.

Highlighted
Sightseer

Re: GoPro Hero 9 webcam preview lag

Same problem here. Using the gopro 9 with usb and the software. 

I don't have a hdmi mini plug to try it out but will get one and try(I have the media mod) I wonder if that will help?

Highlighted
Sightseer

With the media mod and a hdmi adapter (turns out I did have one) the lag is much better. Still a little micro lag, (compared to my logitech web cam with both of them running side by side in OBS  I will be running this event I'm putting together with external lapel mics (which I haven't set up yet) so I won't have the duo mic lag at least. It is way less noticible with just one mic on.

Highlighted
Tourist

Thank you for replying.

Actually i just order the media mod, is good to hear that the lag is better.

How is the quality through hdmi compared to the webcam app?

Because with the app the quality is really poor. I'm using windows so i know it's still in beta but i expected a little bit more quality since GoPro advertise in the box as a webcam.

Highlighted
Sightseer

Yeah, I wasn't happy with the windows quality with the usb connection either.

https://vimeo.com/466341334

is a link to a quick test I did with the media mod. It needs a hmdi micro (i had an adapter, it turns out) then a hdmi cable then a hdmi to usb video capture dongle. I'll end up using lav mics for my two hosts through a sound board so I won't have two mic lag sound like on this video (which has sound from both my headset and the gopro for comparison)

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks for the video test, it looks way better, less grainy  and without artifacts unlike through usb. Waiting to receive my media mod so i can do some tests too.