Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

GoPro Hero 9 upside down with HL and Boost tilted the horizon by 45 degrees

I did a series of videos this past weekend with the GoPro Hero 9 mounted upside down on my bicycle, Linear + HL lens, and Boost selected. I found that rather than leveling the video with the horizon, it tilted the horizon by 45 degrees. I have no problems using the same mode when the camera is mounted right side up. Is this a bug or could I have a setting wrong?

Thanks,

Dave

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: GoPro Hero 9 upside down with HL and Boost tilted the horizon by 45 degrees

Hi @davek872

Do you have the camera up to date?

What SD card are you using?

Did you have the orientation locked when the recording was done?

Would you be able to share a sample file?

You may have it uploaded to Youtube and post the link here.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Nomad

Unlock the orientation and it should work correctly. I had the same issue.
Highlighted
Hiker

Hi @aragon1006 , I believe I updated the camera software right after receiving it last week. The software version is 01.21. I'm using the SD card that came with the camera. I don't believe I had the orientation locked during the recording, and just checked to make sure it wasn't locked today, as I was recording over the weekend and don't remember messing with that setting. However, I guess there's always the chance that I mistakenly selected it that day. I can share a sample file, but don't have time to do that until this weekend. Is there metadata in the video file that would indicate whether the orientation was locked?

Thanks,

Dave

Highlighted
Hiker

Thanks @superbigtwig , I will try it again this weekend and make sure the orientation is not locked. I don't believe it was when I recorded; however, stranger things happen.

Dave

Highlighted
Nomad

Ive not used boost, but i have used my camera upside down with horizon levelling and it works fine. Just had the camera hanging down but my leg as i walked around. 

Highlighted
Hiker

@aragon1006 , I used the GoPro Hero 9 upside down today on a bike ride with the HL lens running but the boost off. The camera performance regarding horizon leveling was very inconsistent. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The orientation lock was off. The amount of post processing correction needed varied wildly. Some clips needed 157 degrees of rotation, some were just 2 degrees. It was inconsistent in that some clips on the same ride would be perfect, then the next time I pushed record it was messed up. I created a video that shows samples of the problem. Hopefully there is a fix. I'm thinking now that I will turn HL off and try again.

By the way, notice that after I start recording, the camera tries to determine orientation and then "drifts" into its final orientation for the rest of the video.

The video is located here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S8zEYg_Q0M

Thanks for your help,

Dave

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Highlighted
Hiker

I forgot to mention that the software version # is 01.21.

Thanks,

Dave