Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

GoPro Hero 9 sound problems

[ New ]

Hero 9 fitted in snug protective housing. No rattling, fastened to bike mount on bike firm. Bike itself is very quiet, gone on a few test rides and a constant audio crackling from apparently nowhere just ruins the video. I tested out the Hero 8 before this and no audio problems. Is this a firmware issue or hardware? If it's hardware then this camera is unusable for what I need it for.

GoPro Community Manager

Re: GoPro Hero 9 sound problems

[ New ]

Would it be possible to attach a sample clip? Mounts and housings can cause the noise, so a clip may help us identify the cause. Also, do you notice the noise when the camera is used on it's own - like when it's just held in your hand or siting on a table?

Hiker

[ New ]

It's common issue with Hero 9. I've had two cameras with the same problem. Return it if you can and wait for Gopro to fix the problem.

Nomad

[ New ]

This is common, I have also had multiple camera and they both had pops and crackles.. go pro don't seem to care a lot  about Audio.. their whole audio system is flawed..

if the next version doesn't fix it mom returning it for something else I think.. video without audio is pointless..

Tourist

[ New ]

Open video settings and set Wind to Off (it's on Auto by default). Did it fix the issue?

Sightseer

[ New ]

no. I need to know. Is this problem a bug or a hardware problem...

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @sharpflame8214. Our Product team is aware of the issue and is looking into it. We do not have an update yet as they are still trying to replicate the issue. We will post back as soon as we have new information. Thanks!

Nomad

[ New ]

My guess hardware. I had my first one replaced and the dsecond one of the same batch does the same thing. Its getting replaced again, but with a later batch. I am expecting it to be OK.

@GoPro If you have one that does it, its not hard to replicate.. the issue destroys all audio all the time.

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for the feedback, @boldridge4531. Were your replacements coursed through our Support team? Is there a case number that we can use as a reference? Details from your camera and the files that you have submitted to Support will be greatly helpful, in addition to the samples that we have submitted from the different threads. Thanks!

Nomad

[ New ]
The camera shop replaced them. But I have no problem sending samples. It’s late here but I will share a couple of examples one from each camera in the morning. The clicking and popping is very apparent. You can’t use the audio. With the first camera it also did it with the external adapter before I upgraded and it stopped working.

Also is in the wav files if you use advanced audio.
Nomad

[ New ]

@mariustanya 

Camera 1 pops and clicks

https://youtu.be/J88zLRar02I

Camera 2 (the replaceemnt) is worse (I am clapping to sync up a recorder)
https://youtu.be/QDe0Iapu8SY

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you, @boldridge4531. We will pass this along to the team to be added to the sample files. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Same problem. My gopro was static mounted on a tripod and indoor. Crackled sound and clicks in the first part of the movie.

Tourist

[ New ]

I have the exactly the same issue. I do factory reset, update latest firmware and change to compatible sandisk extreme 256gb card still have the same problem. Funny thing is after trying to test the video a few time, the audio seem to be ok. BUT AFTER NEXT DAY, IT HAPPENED AGAIN.:(

Please let me know what to do? Wait for update firmware or send RMA?

Nomad

[ New ]

Mam ten sam problem. Ale u mnie zaczeło się po wgraniu oprogramowania 1.22. Co mam robić?

Sightseer

[ New ]

i have the same problem

Sightseer

[ New ]

Same problem here. I was using it for a news story that ended up going national on CNN. Crackling audio. Unusable.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I've got the same problem and it ruined an interview with a 'dead' voter who was actually alive. It ended up on CNN with the crackling audio. Normally I wouldn't use just the GoPro Hero 9 for an interview, but she was a skittish 96-year-old and there was no time to get the DSLR and the Sennheizer **bleep**gun mic before she'd change her mind. 

The crackle appears at 1:05 in the Twitter clip:
https://twitter.com/BrendanKeefe/status/1327384479401390080

And the same sound at 1:30 in this Facebook copy of the CNN story:
https://www.facebook.com/brendankeefe11alive/videos/700971937499945

The sound is COMMON in all my GoPro Hero 9 videos. I also have two DJI Osmo Action cams, but I TRUSTED the GoPro 9 for this story and it failed me.

PLEASE FIX THIS!!! Thank you!

BRENDAN KEEFE

Chief Investigator

The Reveal  |  WXIA 11Alive (NBC Atlanta)

bkeefe@11alive.com  |   C. 404.291.2691  | TheReveal.tv

Hiker

Re: GoPro Hero 9 sound problems same issue

[ New ]
Tourist

[ New ]
Nomad

[ New ]

W niczym to nie pomoże.  Gopro ma gdzieś nasze prośby o naprawienie tej usterki.

Hiker

[ New ]

I am having the same problem with popping and crackling noises with my new HERO 9 Black...

I have heard of people sending their camera back becuase of the problem and the replacmeent camera having the same problem

HELP!

Tourist

[ New ]

Same problem. I am on my second Hero 9, I'm not returning it, as it doesnt feel right to punish the retailer. This is GoPro's problem to deal with. I have to say, I have had a lot of GoPro cameras. HD Hero, Hero 3, Hero 3+, Hero 4 silver, Hero 6 black, Hero 8 Black. I have had more problems with my 9(s) than all the others combined. Initially I thought the 9 was the camera that would keep GoPro on top of a very competitive market. Specs wise it should. But this is really distressing. 

I can attach audio and video files if anyone wants/needs them to help with diagnosis. 

Hiker

[ New ]
@flyingotaku nessuno ci ascolta purtroppo
Hiker

[ New ]

Regretably, the one thing that seemed like a somewhat usable workaround for the popping in the audio - which was to disable the wind noise reduction - isn't solving the issue for me. Even with it turned off I continue to have the problem. I also find my HERO 9 Black spontaneously stopping its recording while I am filming something. What the heck is going on here?!?!.... This is all very disconcerning.......

Tourist

[ New ]

Yeah, turning off the wind noise thing didn't work for me either....

My gut is saying this is a hardware issue, not a software issue. 

Tourist

[ New ]

È così vero.

Hiker

[ New ]
al contrario... è attivandola che si attenua l'effetto del POP audio perche viene riconosciuto come disturbo e quindi attenuato ( almeno a me funziona cosi... ) disattivandolo completamente non ci sarà alcuna attenuazione dei picchi audio
Hiker

[ New ]

I'm simply not using the rigid case anymore on the bike. I did receive a reply from GoPro after submitting a video showing extensive audio crackling. They replied telling me to use the rubber plugs (which I've never seen on this website and that GoPro don't make anymore). I couldn't be bothered buying any more accessories so am just using the camera as is, on a cycling mount. Sound is no longer an issue, although camera is now unprotected.
As I am on the subscription for the year, if it does break I assume GoPro will honour their guarantee and replace it, no questions asked, if I do manage to damage the camera in any way.

Tourist

[ New ]

The audio popping I am getting is not mount jiggle. which is what the orange or white rubber piece stops. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone!

For those who are still experiencing the issue, please reach out to Support to have this logged and checked further.

You may submit a request for a callback or initiate a chat session through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Take note of the case number for reference.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

Betreff: GoPro Hero 9 sound problems

[ New ]

I have th same problem and i found a solution.

You can see it here:

https://youtu.be/xwSs1qe3T6c

Hero 9, cracks, clicks, noise, sound, problem, issue.Solution:- Start Hero 9- Wait 3 minutes with the first recording.- No clickie, cracky, craxieFilmed in 2...
Hiker

[ New ]

you have not found a solution, you have hardly found the cause of the issue.

are you seriously going to record 3min in advance every time ?

Nomad

[ New ]

From version 10, GoPro will be included with a stopwatch :-) This is a comedy.

Hiker

[ New ]

You call that a solution, seriously going to wait 3 min before recording and you mis all the action.

GoPro is known for caption the action and the moment.

My solution for this issue, was to returnering my hero 9's.

Since the was not solution.

If they fix the 2.7k cracking issue, I'll might considering buy agine, but til then im use my hero 7 black.

Hiker

[ New ]

Smiley Very Happy

Tourist

[ New ]

I think I figured it out! Based on what romann43054 said, I started playing with a couple of things. 

I think this is some how temperature related. When the camera sits for a while, the first thing you record will have the popping. the Three minutes romann43054 was talking about was giving the camera a chance to get warm. you dont have to wait that long!

If you let the camera sit, power off, it cools down, and the popping returns. then you shoot something, or even just leave it on and the popping will go away.

I realized that it is most common on my first shot of a session. 

I would be willing to bet the popping is somehow related to hero 9 feature that is supposed to prolong battery life in cold weather!

But most importantly I can now predict accurately when I will get popping noises. 

Hiker

[ New ]

You are absolutely right. Now you can predict accurately when you get popping noises. 

Nomad

[ New ]

GoPro sold you a faulty camera. And you are glad that you will be able to record one clip. Priceless :-)

Tourist

[ New ]

No, gopro sold me 2 faulty cameras! THis is my second Hero9 with the same problem. I am glad for two reasons:

1) I should be able to shoot, and manage to get the footage I need and have it be usable, while I wait for gopro to replace my camera. 

2) When I deal with their customer support - who is wierdly hung up on how I am viewing the clips, and whether or not I am using the app to trigger recording, makes no sense from a troubleshooting point of view - I can accurately, and predictable recreate the problem, so they can see, or in this case hear it. 

I am not cutting them any slack, and if you head over to my youtube channel you can see that. I have had an original HD, Hero 3, Hero 3+ (two of them actually), 4 silver, 5 black, 6 Black, 8 black, and now the 9. They all have had their quirks - with the exception of the 3+ that camera was trouble free. But i have never, ever, had any camera - gorpo or otherwise - give me trouble like the 9 black. 

Nomad

[ New ]

I'm impressed. I don't have enough strength to fight them. I've already replaced three cameras. Today I spoke to the helpdesk and the man told me that for the first time he hears that GoPro9 has a problem with the sound. !!! I don't want to hear about the GoPro brand anymore.

Hiker

[ New ]

The Hero 8 Black has the same problem but I can live with it. Sure it is stupid to have a crackling at the beginning of the recording but I can adjust to it.
Before I make recordings it is turned on so that it warms up.
After that, the crackling is no longer heard.
We are talking about a very small and "quiet" problem.
As soon as wind comes up the sound is already "destroyed" anyway.
In post-production, I cut out the noise or replace it with music.
Hero 9 is unfortunately not perfect but it delivers excellent images and that is the most important for me.
Much more annoying is that low light shots with Hypersmooth are almost unusable.

(Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version))

Tourist

[ New ]

... same issue here

https://youtu.be/8wWXj4SorGI

Tourist

[ New ]

Ive now uploaded six videos for them to see. I honestly don't know anymore.....

This is what they requested:

Hi Brett,

Our expert team advice for you to record a video away from any electric device because this can cause static .

Please reach us back by requesting for a callback for us to gather more information .

Use this case number : 09149614

How ridiculous is that? So I did it. I shot video this morning before work.

https://youtu.be/HBCgGL718JA

They have had me shoot video on different cards. 

They have had me view the video in different places (the app, on the camera, etc..) like that would make a difference. 

It is really ridiculous. 

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Hiker

[ New ]

This proposal is really silly.
The problem is reproducible.
When the camera is cold something creates the crackling, when it is warmer the crackling is gone.
Why don't the Gopro people try it themselves.
Denying the problem is not fair to us. We are the customers.
I would like to know if all Hero 9 have this problem or only a certain batch.

Tourist

[ New ]

Just got off the phone with GoPRo support. They said I was the only one having this problem! 

It's bad enough I have spent over a month dealing with this. 

It's bad enough they are giving me the run around. 

Now they are lying to me. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Just got this email from GoPro customer support. 

Sending you this email to let you know that the team who is handling your case provided a resolution/recommendation. As per them this is a known issue. It should be fixed with the next update. Please stay tuned for it.
In the meantime, the workaround we have for this issue is to let the camera stay on for a while before taking a video. Do not record a video right away after powering on the camera. Wait until the camera is at least heated up.

THEY PROVIDED A RESOLUTION!? I posted this fix two weeks ago, and posted it here. Now how long will we wait for the firmware fix?

Nomad

[ New ]

Hello@romann43054 can you proof the temperature is the cause? Or anyone can too please? I'm interested in finding the cause of this so maybe we can ask for a GoPro Labs future request to sort of avoid this problem.

I replaced mine and now only makes poppings randomly when touching directly the camera mic and with 1.52 firmware update these are gone (in my last tests).

My tested findings so far:

-One user told me to switch Wind setting to "On" and it worked (with my second camera), turns audio to mono, this could mean one of the 3 microphones don't give problems but the others do. 

-With the 1st camera the crackle happened always around minute 1, then went off and came back around minute 5 and forth; only standing in a tripod. Never thought about the temperature, maybe it is related.

-When recording RAW audio, the tracks of the .WAVE file have to be increased up to +60-70 Db to hear normal sound (in postproduction) but the crackles/pops can be adjusted to +48 Db to avoid them volume from clipping.

-I was able to reproduce the poppings/crackles with a piezoelectric microphone with an audio recorder boosting the input volume to +6 Db, the reason being a normal microphone when boosted input volume raises the noise floor not crackles/pops like it seems is the case of GoPro 9.

-Independently of the kind of mic, this is an underwater camera so it must have something to seal water inside therefore muting the sound making it perhaps super sensible to sound ?

Anyway, technical feedback is appreciated, thanks!

Hiker

[ New ]

Today I did a second sound test with the Hero 9.
Start at room temperature. Absolutely quiet in the room.
Only the ticking of a wall clock was heard and the crackling.
Unfortunately.
Even changing the wind reduction has brought nothing.
After 3 minutes, the crackling was almost gone.
It is annoying but I can live with it.
One must not forget how small the technology in this camera is.
What we are talking about here is a small problem.
The camera delivers absolutely perfect shots and that's the most important thing for me.

(Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version) German - English)

Nomad

[ New ]

Thanks for the feedback.

If you can, I encourage you to replace it for another one, according to trading laws you have all the right, for me it worked a lot.

If I ever accomplish anything with GoPro Labs I'll let you know, it's been like 3 months since I bought it and so much time wasted on many little problems.