Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

GoPro Hero 9 recording time ??

[ New ]

Hi i am new with my gopro hero 9 .
i am trying to film my padel games .. 
First time i managed to record about 1hour and 15 min .. when the battery died .
So the next time i used a powerbank on it and the power hold much longer but the recording stoped after 1h ..
and today i tried again and it only recorded for 47 minutes .. still battery left and almost 3 hours space left in the memorycard ..

I use 4k  30 frames and superview ..

Is the camera not able to record for a longer time than that ??

Cant find any info about it 

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: GoPro Hero 9 recording time ??

[ New ]

@multipicture, the camera will work normally when powered from an external power source 5V 1A (5V 2A recommended for HERO9 Black) via USB-C cable. This is perfect for capturing long videos and time-lapse events. However, even though your camera is charging, the battery will not charge during recording. It will start charging when you stop recording. You cannot record while your camera is plugged into a computer.  

In addition to this, if you will be using an external power source, I suggest removing the battery if you will be using the camera for very long-term shooting (e.g. Timelapse) to prevent the camera from overheating – at some point, preventing potential damage to the battery as well. Other users have expressed similar suggestions when using an external power source for continuous recording. 

On a side note, without the battery installed, the camera will eventually turn off the moment that the external power stops.   

Heads Up: Because the door is open, your camera is not waterproof when charging. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

Re: GoPro Hero 9 recording time ??

[ New ]

@multipicture, the camera will work normally when powered from an external power source 5V 1A (5V 2A recommended for HERO9 Black) via USB-C cable. This is perfect for capturing long videos and time-lapse events. However, even though your camera is charging, the battery will not charge during recording. It will start charging when you stop recording. You cannot record while your camera is plugged into a computer.  

In addition to this, if you will be using an external power source, I suggest removing the battery if you will be using the camera for very long-term shooting (e.g. Timelapse) to prevent the camera from overheating – at some point, preventing potential damage to the battery as well. Other users have expressed similar suggestions when using an external power source for continuous recording. 

On a side note, without the battery installed, the camera will eventually turn off the moment that the external power stops.   

Heads Up: Because the door is open, your camera is not waterproof when charging.