Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

GoPro Hero 9, overheating issue?

[ New ]

I'm just received my Hero 9 what I bought in the subscription bundle, but unfortunately it has an overheating issue.
I went to record some clips in the city. The first recording was 17 minutes long, I stopped it manually. After that I started to record another one and it captured 4 minutes 7 seconds of footage then it stopped the recording on its own. I didn't even notice this, because to be honest I didn't expect this to happen and I didn't pay attention to the small red LED. (the screen was off)
Now a good 10-15 minutes of footage is missing, but that's not the problem because it was a test run anyways.
The weather was sunny, temperature was 26°C (79°F).

My settings were:
4K60fps, Linear, Stabilization OFF (I used a gimbal),
Bitrate High
Shutter Auto (I need ND filters but they are sold out since the launch)
White balance 5000K,
EV Compensation: -1.5
Sharpness Medium

I did another test at home, to see if it happens again or it was just a one time thing.
I recharged the battery and waited a couple of hours so the camera had time to reach room temperature.
I started to record a TV screen (so it's not static image), with the same settings what I mentioned above.
The temperature in the room was 25°C (77°F)
The Hero 9 powered itself off after 21 minutes and 20 seconds of recording. Battery level was at 64%. I used the 32GB Sandisk SD card that came with the Hero 9 and it was not even half full.
I took it, and the camera was very hot to the touch.

Some people told me they are able to film long sessions with the Hero 9 without issues and there is a chance the SoC isn't well attached to the heatsink on my unit.

I think these temperatures what I use my camera in aren't extremes, best we could call 26°C is mild.

On top of it, I can't reach customer support and it's very frustrating. I expected a much better customer service from a company like gopro... This would be acceptable if I bought a $10 piece of garbage from wish, but not when I spent hundreds of dollars on a world wide known brand, which is said to be the best in its class. 

Nomad

Re: GoPro Hero 9, overheating issue?

[ New ]

You have an "Action" camera.  It's great for recording scenes of "Action" where there is active air cooling present, so jumping off a bridge, having it mounted on an airplane wing or a race car etc.  

You're trying to record overly long video's in 4K @ 60FPS with no active air cooling and you're wondering why your camera is overheating....  You then filmed again in a static environment by pointing your camera at a TV (again, in 4K @ 60FPS).  Unsurprising it's overheating.

If you want a 4K camera that records @ 60FPS for hours on end, get a RED, a Blackmagic Mini, A Panasonic, A Canon....  those are all fairly large camera's that will do that type of shooting for those extended periods due to their massive size to accomodate their needed heat sinks and heat disappation.

The GoPro is an action camera, it's designed to capture burts of action and to take full advantage of plenty of active air cooling.

So it's not that the camera is faulty, it's just that it's being used in the wrong way.  Wrong tool for the job if you will.

Adventurer

[ New ]

lower your resolution down. its a owners issue as well a product issue

Tourist

[ New ]

Not joking--serious question.  In a static, non-action setting at 4K or 5K for extended time, would setting the camera on a hard ice pack help if you were experiencing overheating?

I don't even have my Hero9 yet, so just wondering.  There are 4K dashcams that run for long periods of time, so one would think overheating on the GoPro shouldn't be an issue under normal conditions.

Hiker

[ New ]
La mayoría de cámaras grabando a 4k a 60 fps se calientan. La Gopro está para grabar pequeños clips o tomas y luego montarlos en edición. Otra cosa a tener en cuenta que ayuda al sobrecalentamiento de la cámara es el uso de una microsd xc adecuada. Aconsejable para 4k microsd xc con escrituras rápidas V60 o V90. Yo uso del tipo UHS II.
Tourist

[ New ]

I am having the same issue. Charged it yesterday. Tried using it indoors at 20ºC today for 20 minutes at standard definition 1080p, standard speed. It gets incredibly hot and drained the battery to 30% after 20 minutes of use. This is with the latest firmware. I have gotten a response on the 'support hub' but the customer service is down for the entire day so far. I will keep trying to get ahold of them, seems they may have rushed the release of this product.

Tourist

[ New ]

Same here i tried everything.. settings everything. i turn off front camera,led, gps... same overheat what we can do?

Tourist

[ New ]
I tried :

1080/ 6o fps
Turn off rear and front screen
turn off led front
turn off gps
sd card 256gb PRO sanddisk commpatible with gopro
format sd
update newest firmware
i tried in case ( original ) for diving which is for 60m ( overheat ) maybe in water wouldnt cuz is cold
i tried in silicon case which is overheat too

im lost of ideas anyone??
Hiker

[ New ]

I fixed the overheating issue, it's depending on your use if you can do the same things what I did.

I have a yt channel where I upload videos from different cities, (shameless plug: https://youtu.be/I8Fw7HqB6gI ) so I needed a camera that can record in 4k60p continously even when the Sun is shining and it's very hot outside. I wanted to get on 4K60fps, that's the whole reason why I bought this camera. I have a mirrorless Fujifilm X-E3 but that's only capable of 4k30fps, and gopro controls exposure much better and has a wider dynamic range. It's also just a fraction of the price of a 4K60fps mirrorles camera. They start at $1500 and all of them has some issue. So somehow I had to make it work.

I don't need the front screen, nor the front led, so I turned off both and covered it with raspberry pi heatsinks.

I record binaural audio, and for that I use a separate microphone which is in an artifical "head" that I made, and my hero is always attached to it. Like on a tripod. I also have a 10000mAh power bank built in this tripod which powers my hero 9 and this allowed me to remove the battery from the gopro, and I left the side door open. 

I changed the folding finger mount for a tripod mount which is made of solid aluminium. url: https://bit.ly/2Spr7pW

Back-Bone tripod mount, they only have it for the Hero 8 yet, and even though the 9 and the 8 uses the same folding finger mount, this backbone tripod mount needs some additional drilling if you want to attach it to the hero 9. You have to make the 4 screw holes about 1mm deeper, and there are 2 other holes on the other side which you have to make a bit wider. It's about a 10 minute work if you want to make it very precisely, all you need is a drill and the right drill-bit. It works as a heatsink, and kinda sucks the heat out of the gopro, which tends to get very hot on the bottom anyways, so it's in the right place. If you are in the USA you can buy it from amazon too, I'm in the EU and I could buy from that website what I linked here.

Check out this video, this guy added 2 additional metal screws so the whole mount is a bigger piece of metal, with bigger surface area that can dissipate even more heat. 

https://youtu.be/Mh0iDpw4eAY

Photos of my Hero 9:

https://ibb.co/PNXVkxz
https://ibb.co/RYfBWvM
https://ibb.co/gP3DwqT
https://ibb.co/p2pjh6Y
https://ibb.co/wWJncdH
https://ibb.co/N1VT3nv

I think my setup is a bit of an overkill, but I like to be on the safe side and it works perfectly for me. I don't miss the front screen, I don't need my camera to be waterproof (battery door open) and I never put it in any case.

If you need these things then I think you should start your experiment with the tripod mount, maybe even that will be enough. (it wont fit into your scuba case after that).

If not, then try the  raspberry pi heatsinks, what you have to put on with thermal tape.

I haven't got time to test my camera in 4K60 yet, but I tried in 5K30 and it wasn't warm at all after 2 hours of filming outside. I think it will never power off due to overheating. 

Good luck!

the heat of a gopro hero 8 can mainly be felt at the bottom of the housing, so heat has to be dissipated from below, so that it doesn't switch off (overheati...
Binaural ambience sounds while walking on the roof of the Leopold Museum in Vienna, Austria. The video was captured with a GoPro Hero 9 in 5K30p (5K30fps). T...
Tourist

[ New ]

Same thing is happening to me.  I got my hero 9 a week ago.  I've recorded several times and it will overheat and shut off on it's own anywhere from 15-20 min into recording.  I was recording in 1080 each time.  It get's very hot to the touch.  

Hiker

[ New ]

I have never tried recording in 1080p, but the same things would work for you what I mentioned above.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I am having the same issue on the same settings, i even tried inside or for the sake of what your first reply was , the whole time i was filming it i put a fan next to it and still same thing, after 23 mins it overheated and shut down with 64% battery left. i have spoken to others who have the Hero 9 and watched youtube videos and they all have said their Hero 9s last about 2 hour and 30 mins of 4k filming. So this is not a user error this is without a doubt a manifacture error. I have been trying to contact Gopro however same thing, no response. this is ridiculous considering the amount of money i paid and how big of a company gopro is. 

Tourist

[ New ]

@jozsefm81470 wrote:

I have never tried recording in 1080p, but the same things would work for you what I mentioned above.

Glad you got yours to work but I am not covering my brand new gopro in heatsinks.  I use the front screen.  

Sightseer

[ New ]

even if my gopro is just sitting there and not recording but it is still on it starts to get hot, inside at the temperature of 72 F

Hiker

[ New ]

i used my 9 for the first time yesterday to record softball. I had both cameras h7 and h9 same settings 4k/60. with a hat draped over to shade. the h7 did great and did not over heat. the h9 how ever kept on overheating. Both had battery pulled and running on external power.  I'm not very happy. Looks like the team might be buying a mevo to stream and ill use the gopros for angles. Today i followed a friends advice and ran h9 internal battery and wet a cold wet towel over the cam to keep it cool. It did not seem to over heat but this is not the ideal setup. I dont know if moisture can be an issue if i run external power since the door has to be open.

Hiker

[ New ]

Yeah, that totally understandable. It depends on your use if should cover it or not. I would never use the front screen anyways, so I don't miss it one bit.

Hiker

[ New ]

That towel thing is a good idea, but you are right, it's not ideal. I'd be brave enough to cover my H9 with a wet (but not dripping) towel even with the door open, but I'm not sure if it wouldn't damage something. I don't think it would, but don't quote me on that if your camera gets water damaged. Heatsinks work fine for me, along with the solid aluminium tripod mount. The real test will be in the summer, but even if it'll overheat I still can screw in 2 bolts in the tripod mount, thus turning it into a bigger heatsink.

Tourist

[ New ]

@irishmanpdx wrote:

You have an "Action" camera.  It's great for recording scenes of "Action" where there is active air cooling present, so jumping off a bridge, having it mounted on an airplane wing or a race car etc.  

You're trying to record overly long video's in 4K @ 60FPS with no active air cooling and you're wondering why your camera is overheating....  You then filmed again in a static environment by pointing your camera at a TV (again, in 4K @ 60FPS).  Unsurprising it's overheating.

If you want a 4K camera that records @ 60FPS for hours on end, get a RED, a Blackmagic Mini, A Panasonic, A Canon....  those are all fairly large camera's that will do that type of shooting for those extended periods due to their massive size to accomodate their needed heat sinks and heat disappation.

The GoPro is an action camera, it's designed to capture burts of action and to take full advantage of plenty of active air cooling.

So it's not that the camera is faulty, it's just that it's being used in the wrong way.  Wrong tool for the job if you will.

Mine does the same thing at 1080p.  I am using it on an MTB bike in the desert.  So, moving at 15 MPH but it is the desert and so its hot.  If that does not qualify as an "action camera" situation, then I do not know what does.  It shouod not be oerheating and then shut down.

Tourist

[ New ]
Mine got to 47.8degc and shut down. Room temp was 22degc and 1080 record. It Arrived today, i fully charged and updated. This is dangerous temperature. This is most definitly a problem active air cooling or not.
Dont let your kids touch it.
Screenshot_20201005-142752_Gallery.jpg
Tourist

[ New ]

20201005_151025.jpg
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone!

It is normal for the camera to get warm specially during operation and extended recordings but it should not be too hot to touch.

Is the camera running with the latest firmware? Is it using a recommended SD card? Have you been able to try a different battery?

Would you be able to do a test recording while the camera is plugged in without the battery?

Let us know if you observe the same.

You may also check Camera Performance in Extreme Temperatures

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello,

I hope y'all are doing well.

I just received my Hero9 yesterday. I charged the battery that came with it in addition to a second battery I ordered w/ the dual battery charger. I'm using a 256GB SanDisk Extreme. The camera is housed in the HERO9 Black Camera Sleeve. Once fully charged, I turned off the front display and light. I turned off the beeping sounds. I dimmed the rear display to 10% brightness for battery preservation. Settings were set to 4k/60.

After having mounted it to my car's dashboard, I began recording for 40min, at which point the battery drained down to 30% exactly before turning itself off. I wasn't sure why it turned off, so I turned it back on and began recording again. About 15 seconds later, a message popped up stating that the camera was overheating and that it needed to turn off. I then picked up the camera before quickly placing it on my passenger seat because it truly was hot to the touch.

Any and all help from GoPro Support would be greatly appreciated, as this is very disappointing and (as mentioned before) unsafe.

Thank you,

James

Sightseer

[ New ]

Adding to the group... Not continuous video, 4k@30fps, underwater at 40' and using the camera for on/off 5-90 second video clips.  in the middle of one video at about 20 seconds in, it beeped and said the camera is too hot/shutting down.  How can a camera, submerged in water be overheating?

GoPro... what gives?  This is a lot of money to spend on a hotrock on the first use.

Nomad

[ New ]

The camera becomes hot at the fastening straps, or the internal battery becomes very hot when discharged ...
Remedy:
1.) For longer recordings in one go, remove the internal battery and power the camera externally.
2.) a metal attachment that dissipates the heat better.
e.g. something like that:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B088TL183H?pf_rd_r=CXK9CENSPPBDR7HH7HSW&pf_rd_p=e74560f2-413d-4879-...

Hiker

[ New ]

That is a BS response to the question. If we pay all of this doe for an action camera it should not overheat period. As a previous poster said he has 4K dashcams that record for endless hours and never overheat. 

Tourist

[ New ]

I get overheating when recording myself in kayak races. Again, because I'm in a race, I can't stop and start the camera, but the camera needs to be waterproof, light and robust. It's hard to think of anything other than an action camera that would do for my needs, but GoPro doesn't care about any use that isn't sponsored by Red Bull.

Tourist

[ New ]

Did anyone solve this problem or are they still overheating I have just got my camera and having same problems wish I'd seen this before I purchased it 

Tourist

[ New ]

I've been having overheating issues since the Hero 7. I just got a Hero 9 for Christmas, and while I haven't tried it outside in summer conditions, my bench testing seems to indicate that https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08JQK79CZ this aluminum case conducts the heat away enough to keep it cool. Makes you wonder why GoPro insists of plastic cases.

Hiker

[ New ]
I fixed the overheating issue, it's depending on your use if you can do the same things what I did.

I have a yt channel where I upload videos from different cities, (shameless plug: https://youtu.be/I8Fw7HqB6gI ) so I needed a camera that can record in 4k60p continously even when the Sun is shining and it's very hot outside. I wanted to get on 4K60fps, that's the whole reason why I bought this camera. I have a mirrorless Fujifilm X-E3 but that's only capable of 4k30fps, and gopro controls exposure much better and has a wider dynamic range. It's also just a fraction of the price of a 4K60fps mirrorles camera. They start at $1500 and all of them has some issue. So somehow I had to make it work.

I don't need the front screen, nor the front led, so I turned off both and covered it with raspberry pi heatsinks.

I record binaural audio, and for that I use a separate microphone which is in an artifical "head" that I made, and my hero is always attached to it. Like on a tripod. I also have a 10000mAh power bank built in this tripod which powers my hero 9 and this allowed me to remove the battery from the gopro, and I left the side door open.

I changed the folding finger mount for a tripod mount which is made of solid aluminium. url: https://bit.ly/2Spr7pW

Back-Bone tripod mount, they only have it for the Hero 8 yet, and even though the 9 and the 8 uses the same folding finger mount, this backbone tripod mount needs some additional drilling if you want to attach it to the hero 9. You have to make the 4 screw holes about 1mm deeper, and there are 2 other holes on the other side which you have to make a bit wider. It's about a 10 minute work if you want to make it very precisely, all you need is a drill and the right drill-bit. It works as a heatsink, and kinda sucks the heat out of the gopro, which tends to get very hot on the bottom anyways, so it's in the right place. If you are in the USA you can buy it from amazon too, I'm in the EU and I could buy from that website what I linked here.

Check out this video, this guy added 2 additional metal screws so the whole mount is a bigger piece of metal, with bigger surface area that can dissipate even more heat.

https://youtu.be/Mh0iDpw4eAY

Photos of my Hero 9:

https://ibb.co/PNXVkxz
https://ibb.co/RYfBWvM
https://ibb.co/gP3DwqT
https://ibb.co/p2pjh6Y
https://ibb.co/wWJncdH
https://ibb.co/N1VT3nv

I think my setup is a bit of an overkill, but I like to be on the safe side and it works perfectly for me. I don't miss the front screen, I don't need my camera to be waterproof (battery door open) and I never put it in any case.

If you need these things then I think you should start your experiment with the tripod mount, maybe even that will be enough. (it wont fit into your scuba case after that).

If not, then try the raspberry pi heatsinks, what you have to put on with thermal tape.

I haven't got time to test my camera in 4K60 yet, but I tried in 5K30 and it wasn't warm at all after 2 hours of filming outside. I think it will never power off due to overheating.

Good luck!
Hiker

[ New ]

thats not a fix, thats a workaround.

I have left my H7 and H9 running side by side and H7 was significantly hotter than H9, so i guess my unit doesnt have such extreme issue as described by others here.

Tourist

[ New ]

GoPro is designed and advertised to be able to record the same quality while underwater diving, with gopro official protective cases. The gopro protective case has no opening for venting. How about using in cars, under the windshield? Racing, and off roading, from inside the vehice... Your reasoning is flawed. You've fallen for their marketing. "Action Camera" is just a marketing term for it to sound more "extreme." It is designed for 'action' sports with durability and convenient compact size. OP has a legitimate concern. Don't blame their use. My Hero 9, new, is doing the same thing. Overheating while recording an accessory video. Ironic. 

Tourist

[ New ]
GoPro is designed and advertised to be able to record the same quality while underwater diving, with gopro official protective cases. The gopro protective case has no opening for venting. How about using in cars, under the windshield? Racing, and off roading, from inside the vehice... Your reasoning is flawed. You've fallen for their marketing. "Action Camera" is just a marketing term for it to sound more "extreme." It is designed for 'action' sports with durability and convenient compact size. OP has a legitimate concern. Don't blame their use. My Hero 9, new, is doing the same thing. Overheating while recording an accessory video. Ironic.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @type1

What resolution are you using?

Do you have the camera paired with the app?

You may also check Camera Performance in Extreme Temperatures 

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

I have exactly the same problem.

It makes me really dissatisfied with the product.

It is probably worse than a cheap noname cameras.

It should not overheat, full stop.

Is it a defective piece? I am not sure based on users reaction.

Above that its image quality in lower light condiftions is poor.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @redapex01616. It is not unusual for the camera to get hot while charging or when in use, but it should not be too hot to touch. 

First, it is important that the camera is updated to the latest firmware and that it uses a recommended SD card. 

Which resolution settings were you using in the camera? For cameras that feature unique high-performance video modes: 2.7K and higher resolutions, and/or frame rates above 60fps, it is normal for the camera to become warm and use more power when using these modes. These tips will help improve camera performance. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi Ej,

it happens in 5k (30 fps), 4k (30 fps / 60 fps), 2.7k (60 fps / 120 fps) and HD resolutions (the last with with 120 fps or more). Only the time when it becoms overheated differs. I have not tested all yet. Usually I used Linear + Horizon levelling setting.

It happens when WiFi is off.

I have updated firmware to the latest one before.

Ambient temperature was around 22°C (at home), that is not extreme. It was positioned on a ribbed surface..

Sightseer

[ New ]

Sorry, but I do not agree with you at all on what you wrote.  I had the Sony fdrx3000 for almost 2 years and I could run it in any environment, including extreme heat sitting on a beach and it never overheated, not once. I upgraded to the Go Pro Hero 9 to be able to shoot 4k 60fps, as my Sony was limited to 4k 30fps. I have had it just only a few months and it's shutting off shooting inside right below an air con unit, not hot at all, and after 5 minutes, it shuts off and is super hot. Saying that it's an action cam and must be moving to stay cool, come on! 

Nomad

[ New ]

Well lets see

Sony FDR X3000
8.2mp

GoPro Hero 9
23.6mp

Sony BitRate
60Mb

GoPro Bit Rate
100Mb

I could go on but it would be pointless to do so. You're comparing a 4 year old camera with a low resolution sensor, a low bit rate and a max resolution of 4K @ 30FPs to a camera with a smaller foot print, higher resolution sensor, higher bit rate, better in camera stabilization and overall it's doing a heck of a lot more work than the Sony camera ever did. Doing all of that in such a small form factor is of course going to generate a lot of heat and that's to be expected. The comparison is like a fiat 500 to a drag racer. Yes, the are both cars.
The only GoPro I had overheat on me was my GoPro Hero 2 and it turns out an improperly formatted SD card was the issue. Since then I've owned the 4, the 6, the 8, the Fusion and now the 9. Haven't had anything overheat on me, but then again, I shoot in the settings best suited to what I'm trying to do. For instance if I'm shooting indoors doing a close up of a product, I shoot in 1080P @ 30FPS, 60FPS if I need to do a slow motion shot. I'm not going to shoot 5K or 4K 60FPS as it's overkill and creates more work than needed in post.
When I hear of complaints from people having overheating camera's shooting indoors while trying to shoot their kettle boiling in 4K @60FPs I just shake my head sadly.
If I'm flying in my airplane and I need a wide scenic shot, then by all means I'm going to shoot in 4k or 5K because the situation demands it.
Now people can argue "But my camera claims it can shoot in 5K, I should be able to shoot in 5K for hours and hours at a time". Well to that I say give you the drag car example again. Top speed can be around 280mph, do you think it can maintain that speed for hours and hours on end? Nope, some of them cant even manage 1/4 of a mile without blowing an engine.
So it's no use saying "My old camera which didn't even meet anywhere near the specs of the GoPro Hero 9 never overheated...". You're just saying "Well it's stupid that a drag racer overheats in 1/4 of a mile, my fiat 500 can go for hundreds of miles and not overheat".

Hiker

[ New ]

Well then tell me why my hero 8 can sit outside in the sun recording for hours with a battery in and on external power in +30c and in the sun...... and the 9 fails in minutes with movement and not direct sun and only on internal battery.

What you gonna shake your head at there?

Hiker

[ New ]

@irishmanpdx  Thats not entirely true. 

They shouldnt push the hardware to its absolute limits , and if its really neccessary than make the body with proper ventilation.

I havent heard anyone asking for waterproof camera out of the box, Its just causing the temperature to rise if not moving. I had no issue using diving case with previous generations and im still using it with H9 because i dont trust it.

Hiker

[ New ]

SOLVED (or IMPROVED at least)

I followed recommendation of support and did manual Firmware update (to the same FW version).

Above that I considered to format SD card in my PC and I selected 16kB allocation unit size.

After those 2 steps it can last around 65 mins before battery is depleted.

Still it is very hot , but not shutting down.

Tourist

[ New ]
I’m sorry, but reading your post would be fine if we were talking about a $100 camera you bought from Radio Shack. But we’re talking about the latest and the greatest $500 action camera from the world famous GoPro. This overheating, battery depleting issue is ri-diculous and unacceptable. And GoPro’s support has nothing to show for it. If it were possible, I’d return mine along with everything I bought for it.
Hiker

[ New ]

I believe I undesrtand your reaction.

I expected more, as well and my first experinece was really disappointing.

My post was with an intention to help those, who would like to keep it and use it.

Everyone has to make their decision to like it or not, to keep and use it or return it themselves.

I am myself still hesitating.

Btw: today was my first biking with Hero9. My battery managed 80 mins at 2.7k 50fps, Horizon levelling, Boost, ambient temperature was 16°C, I have it in a silicon casing and on a chest harness, mounted upside down (for better view).

Tourist

[ New ]

Eu concordo com você!

É lamentável pagar um produto caro e ter uma experiência como se fosse um produto um produto chinês ou de baixo custo.

Eu avaliei muito entre uma Gopro Hero 9 Black ou uma Osmo Action Cam, e acabei optando pela Gopro, agora estou me lamentando pelo atendimento do suporte telefônico ser muito ruim, profissionais mal preparados e sugestões de soluções ineficientes.

Comprei um novo cartão de memória SanDisk Extreme PRO (UHS-1 U3/V30) A2 de 128 GB SDSQXCY-128G-GN6MA  

Estou pedindo a troca da camera e espero que a nova não venha com este problemas de superaquecimento.

Está é a minha primeira GoPro e será a última.

NÃO RECOMENDO A GOPRO para mais ninguém depois destas pésssimas experiências.

Meu caso aberto no suporte é: 09364703

Meu RMA: EXRMA590086

Tourist

[ New ]
I understand, brother. I meant no offense towards your post. It is just sad and disappointing that our expectations have to be so low for this product to be considered a success.
Hiker

[ New ]

This is a known issue I've been posting about it over and over starting a few weeks after the officiall release. Camera shuts off during recordings most likely due to heat and even indoors with A/C. I waited for the first firmware upgrade around Nov but that didn't fix it then again in Dec and nope that didn't fix it either. I was lucky to get a new one from bestbuy after they determined it was faulty THEN the new one did the same thing so I returned that one too a month or so ago...

To be honest I was just checking back to see if others started having issues and sure enough its pretty much the same. They really messed this camera up big time. I'll try the gopro 10 when it's released and see if these issues ever get fixed.

Tourist

[ New ]

I run multiple GoPro's simulatenously for airsoft. I've had a number of cameras over the years, basically every camera after the Hero 5 Sessions with the exception of the 360 cameras. I've had overheating issues, such is the case when you're essentially hiking in the sun with a GoPro in a protective waterproof case. But this is the first time I've seen GoPro overheat so easily.

I run two GoPro Hero 7's and a Hero 9. One Hero 7 is a modified one from Back-Bone, it's got an aluminum front plate so that dissipates some of the heat, so that's one of it's benefits. The other Hero 7 is just a standard Hero 7 in a completely sealed waterproof case (no back door access). Neither of the Hero 7's overheated on this past weekend out. The Hero 9, which is in one of those aluminum skeleton housings and the aluminum battery door cover overheated constantly after 15 minutes, being exposed to the same conditions as the other two cameras. The Hero 9 has no excuse for this.

The Regular Hero 7 was recording at 1080p/60fps.

The Back-Bone Hero 7 was recording at 1080p/120fps.

The Hero 9 was recording at 1080p/60fps.

They all have the same settings, GPS and stabilization and everything else turned off, all screens are set to turn off as soon as possible after recording starts. So why is the Hero 9, which has the most heat dissipation among all three cameras, overheating the most?

I realized again today that YouTube encoding is not friendly to small channel creators, so I looked up how to force conversion to VP9. The only way to force conversion is uploading at 2k/4k, which is impossible for me if my Hero 9 is overheating at something as simple as 1080p/60fps. This is not a "user error" issue, this is a design flaw.

Tourist

[ New ]

I wonder what the gopro's solution to the overheating issue is. My device has the same issue again and again, even with timelapses.

Hiker

[ New ]
Most definitely if you’ve updated the firmware and tried different sd cards. The sad part is that there isn’t a fix... it is what it is at this point. There is no way that GoPro isn’t aware of the issue at this point. I’m not so sure if it’s even fixable.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @changxiang0

What version is the camera on? What SD card are you using?

If you haven't yet, please check Camera Performance in Extreme Temperatures 

Thanks!

Ej