Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

GoPro Hero 9 not displaying preview when recording in iphone app

[ New ]

I received my GoPro Hero 9 yesterday and updated to the latest firmware and installed the latest GoPro app on my iPhone XR. When I go to control the camera using the app on the phone it previews fine but then when I hit the record button on the phone the preview disappears and it says preview unavailable. It also does the same when used in camera mode (but says camera busy). I have tried in all resolutions and frame rate. I have tried swapping from H.264 + HEVC to just HEVC but still no difference. As said above preview works fine it's just when recording that you can't see the live image of what the camera is seeing.

Accepted Solutions
Tourist

Re: GoPro Hero 9 not displaying preview when recording in iphone app

[ New ]

Yes sadly the preview is not NOT available in any resolution, apparently because the camera is doing too many other complex tasks, this version of the GoPro Hero (9) cannot output an image while recording, even if the front screen is switched off and you're in 1080p mode!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Tourist

[ New ]

Yes sadly the preview is not NOT available in any resolution, apparently because the camera is doing too many other complex tasks, this version of the GoPro Hero (9) cannot output an image while recording, even if the front screen is switched off and you're in 1080p mode!

Hiker

[ New ]
Thank you for the quick reply. At least I know it’s not a problem with just mine. I probably won’t use the feature much and maybe they will sort it with a firmware update at some point.
Tourist

[ New ]

This is so not cool i need this to work cannot view when recording my volleyball game tripod is 20ft in the air lol.......come on gopro wth.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @nicktgo

The live preview in the GoPro App while recording using the HERO9 Black is not supported as the camera needs extra energy to perform its processes.
Sending live feed over Wi-Fi while recording will not be possible.

Please continue checking our website for updates.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

never had this on the hero 8 black thnxxx

Tourist

[ New ]

So when my camera is 20ft in the air on tripod rec. and someone bumps into it i have to stop rec. to fix angle this does not make sense...

Tourist

[ New ]

Progress is not always good, My Gopro 7 streams live through the app without issue. I buy the 9 and it doesn't!

Tourist

[ New ]

I'm hoping an update will change this, if my GoPro 7 can there's no reason why the 9 can't!

Tourist

[ New ]

Hey,

Hope this email finds you well.

I've heard back from the team and they've mentioned that the live preview in the GoPro App while recording using HERO9 Black is not supported as the camera needs extra energy to perform its processes (specially now that it can shoot up to 5k). Sending live feed over Wi-Fi while recording will not be possible. If this will be possible in the future updates, we're sacrificing more battery life for the preview so I really doubt it'll be implemented in the near future.

If you'd like to continue with the return, here's a reference case 08542711 where you can get back to us so we could send in a request.

All the best,

Joemel A.
GoPro Support

Hiker

[ New ]
Am happy with it and just didn't know if it was a problem with just mine but glad it wasn't. I can understand with 5K etc. it not working but maybe the team could get it to work in 1080 etc. in a future firmware update.
Tourist

[ New ]

I agree...totally ridiculous.  Same here, but soccer.  20 feet in the air, & I can't live view or even send a video output to a display to live view it like that!  And Gopro, don't tell me to live stream it & look at my stream to see output, cuz you KNOW live stream is always a few seconds behind..I AM SO MADDD!!

Sightseer

[ New ]

This is really sad. And is a deal-breaker. Not possible to work without monitoring with iPhone. At least it needs to be able to do this when Hero 9 is connected to a power source -- if power consumption is the issue as you say.

I ordered all the accessories already. Will you refund everything I purchased for Hero 9?

Tourist

[ New ]

I agree.  Super stupid of them to RETRACT this necessary (for me & a LOT of people) feature!

why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why

Hiker

[ New ]

This gets very irritating!

The remote worked until the firmware was updated, then suddenly it didn´t" We had to wait several months until they announced a "new" remote. Which will not be avaliable UNTI FEBRUARY in Europe!

Then the support for the Mic adapter was taken away and we had to wait months before a fix was available.

Now the preview has stopped working, also without any warning. IT DID WORK WHEN WE BOUGHT THE CAMERA!

As an example, we made a full production on October 19th with the Hero 9 controlled from a phone´s preview!

GoPro has made it almost impossible for professional users, at least GoPro, please employ some grown ups, you kids can play in other market segments far away from the professional market!

Sightseer

[ New ]
This is absolutely stupid GoPro!!!! So the Hero 5 let's you see the preview via the app, yet the NEWER Hero 9 doesn't let you do this?!?! WTF?!?! This needs to be fixed ASAP!!!! I rely on the preview in the app for filming with multiple cameras at once so I can view my different angles and be sure they're still framed great when I need to leave my camera up on stage at a concert. Y'all really should've figured out this before advertising that you could control the camera from the app. As yes you can control the camera, but you should be able to do something that the camera 4 models ago could do! This has me extremely upset and I'm starting to worry that I made a $1000 purchase for nothing! Fix this ASAP GoPro!!!!
Tourist

[ New ]

Had I known that you cant preview in video mode I would never have made the purchase. Its like buying a car without wheels. Very disapointed GoPro. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

I agree , very disappointed in my recent purchase, debating returning it 

Sightseer

[ New ]

Even if both GoPro displays would turn off when activating preview  on the phone would be better 

Hiker

[ New ]

I just bought the new Gopro Hero 9 Black, this my 6th Gopro Device,and so far I never had a problem to (enable preview)  an any of the 6 cameras I had. and now I upgraded from the last Gopro Hero 8 Black to to the new Gopro Hero 9  and they took away the best feuture of the camera to ( enable Preview) when using an extrernal device like an iphone or table? I had been trying for hours,trying to make it work, I thought  I was doing something wrong or perhaps broken, I'm reading the comments and can not believe it, I still have the Gopro Hero 7 and Gopro 8 Black and I have no problems Enable Preview using my iphone. again I'm so desappoint about it taking away or no be able to ( ENABLE PREVIEW) on the phone or table? when using the new Gopro Hero 9 Black, please we need some help, any information how to fix theis problem I will appreciate? 

Tourist

[ New ]
There should be a firmware update that restores preview functionality. GoPro can disable wifi streaming preview at higher resolutions/frame rates/GPS enabled or whatever the tradeoff needs to be. This feature is critical to making the camera attractive to someone without a team recording video.
Tourist

[ New ]

I cant belive the 9black can't show a preview while recording. My 4 silver does this, my sony does this also. thinking of returning it...

Tourist

[ New ]

As we require real-time monitoring of our Hero 9, can you recommend a hard-wired alternative?  Can we use the HDMI output from the Media Mod to directly display on an HDMI monitor?

Sightseer

[ New ]
Gopro is dropping the ball with the HERO9. I previously owned the HERO5 and allowed you to record while previewing on the app in addition to fully controlling the camera. This is one essential feature that allowed you constantly monitor your frame while you camera sits on a tripod, selfie stick or strapped to your chest/body.
This is so SAD!!!! AND LAME AND LAZY EXCUSE by tech support!!!
Tourist

[ New ]

As a follow-up to our concern with not being able to monitor video footage 'real time' while recording using the GoPro App, (on the Hero 9) we did purchase the Media Mod and a separate monitor (interconnected thru HDMI).  In our case the camera is mounted on the roof of a campervan so hardwiring was both possible and, we believe, a better and more reliable means of getting a real time video feed.

BUT, get this . . . when you control the camera (as we must do) from inside the vehicle using the the GoPro App, the Hero 9 defaults to the PlayBack Mode when the video monitor is connected.  There appears to be no way of switching the Hero 9 back to the normal camera mode.

The solution - - at least short term - - has been to power-up the Hero 9 (using the GoPro App) with the monitor OFF, then start recording a video on the Hero 9, THEN turn the monitor ON.  At that point we stop the recording, delete the short recorded file and all is well - - the Hero 9 remains in the normal camera mode and we are able to start and stop recordings thereafter.

Hiker

[ New ]
Gransurf04234, Thanks for the suggestion about to control or mirroring the GoPro Hero 9. however GOPRO should know that
not being able to monitor video footage 'real time' while recording using the GoPro App, (on the Hero 9) for my opinion still very disappointed, I know that by using the Media Mod and a separate monitor (interconnected thru HDMI) It works! But that’s not the idea? The idea is, even if we go back, (GoPro Silver 4) thought GoPro Hero 8 Black, we were able to Mirror the footage of what we are recording just from the iPhone! Where the Hero 9 The Screen turns Black an the iPhone, while your are recording, and you can not see anything on the phone. It’s really disappointing. However
Don’t give me wrong but I have to give credit to GOPRO, for the new Screen on the Front of the HERO 9, at this point you ARE ABLE to monitor video footage 'real time' while recording using the GoPro App, but that’s if you are real Close to the Camera! So you can see yourself, on the front screen of the Hero9, Other wise you out of luck.

Nomad

[ New ]

This is quite literally my only complaint with the camera... I used the live preview on my hero 7 silver in order to frame money making shots while the gopro was on my head... now I get superior video quality, but so far most of that money making footage has been unusable because I'm unable to keep the scene properly framed... this actually screws me financially, and I spent a lot more on this camera.....

Pretty strange how gopro does things... they give you features in exchange for others without any option to retrieve those features...

Hiker

[ New ]
jrtorres, I’m agreed with you, Indeed, disappointed, however I have to give credit to GOPRO, the fact that the Hero9 cámara came with the NEW front Screen, to preview what we are recording, but helps Only if you are close to the cámara, you can still Control the Cámara from the apps! but the GoPro apps in your phone can Not Preview what you are recording at that point.

The Bad news, again if you have the cámara few feet away from you can still Control it, but can not see yourself looking at the apps on your Phone, Not Preview, that was a mistake by GoPro.

I don’t want to buy an extra Monitor, to preview the recording an my GoPro? and by the way by using the media Mod with an external Monitor and HDMI if you outside an a raining day, Good Luck? ones you use the Media Mod, it’s not Longer water Prove, since the side of the GoPro Camera has to be remove an order to connect the HDMI, sorry, another good reason to preview what you are recording straight from your iPhone, or Table.
Nomad

[ New ]

Just now I've started working on a mirror mount for when I am wearing my headstrap! Yay! I can see my POV again while recording my POV content!

When I've further perfected my design I will definitely share! For me this will be a game changer in my line of production...

Tourist

[ New ]

I can't believe this...

Gopro 7 does transmit in recording mode and Gopro 9 is incapable of doing so? but what are the engineers thinking?
It's quite disheartening that they answer that there is no solution.

Hiker

[ New ]

it's ABSOLUTELY INEXCUSABLE that gopro doesnt address this in the connectvity section of the specs / comparison section of their web site. i mean my (and id assume many others') primary use for gopros is puting them in places that are out of reach. and not being able to see what (or if) is being recorded is simply NOT an option.

i had the same experience as the OP here. i had to return my 9 (which i loved in every other way) as without this feature it is completly useless for me. so i have to no decide to go with a 7 or 8. or to go with another company (who's a bit more up front with their customers) altogether.

i've heard rumors about it being an issue of a limit of processing power. but interestingly enough, ive also heard rumor about it being about an IP lawsuit issue with another (now defunct) camera manufacturer.

whatever the reasoning, go pro needs to add this CONSPICUOUSLY to the specs page of the camera.

Hiker

[ New ]

i REALLY hope i dont buy a 7 or 8 and one day update the firmware and find out THEY also lose this capability. 

i mean seriously. this is like buying a car that's delivered with no steering stystem.

Nomad

[ New ]

HOW CAN I USE IT AS A 1080P WEBCAM STREAMING TO FACEBOOK AND IT ALSO KEEPS A 1080P FILE ON THE SDCARD, BUT I CANT GET A LIVE PREVIEW WHILE RECORDING?

THINK!

this makes no sense to me... I stream in 1080p to facebook and it keeps a copy of the stream in 1080p on the SD card

This means the camera absolutely can provide a live preview while recording

You're welcome...

Nomad

[ New ]
Please bring back live preview while recording! My previous comment more than proves that it is definitely possible...
If I can stream it online and it saves a copy (records while I'm streaming over wifi) than it could certainly stream to my local device while recording... let's get real! Or at least be honest and tell us it is because of the Contour IP holdings LLC... give us honesty!
Nomad

[ New ]
Also, if I stream to facebook or twitch in 720p it still saves a 1080p copy to my sdcard... see how this proves we could get a 720 to 1080p live preview and record at the same time!!! There is absolutely no reason why we could not make this happen unless it is in regards to the current lawsuit...
Nomad

[ New ]

Really simple, unless contour is totally owning the sh*t out of you, in which case, just SAY THAT!

Hiker

[ New ]

i have seen people suggest using the stream as a monitor. the problem with using the stream as a monitor is the lag. if you're doing training videos and are narrating what you're doing, that can be VERY disorienting.

no to mention this is a feature that people had before. and there is no reason they should lose that capability without it being mentioned in the product specs.

Nomad

[ New ]
No, I think this is BS! I need that live preview and am losing money making shots because of it not being available!! I'm on your side here wayneg25820 ! 100% on your side here!!!
Nomad

[ New ]

My point is this

If I can livestream and it records to the sdcard simultaneously,  than there is no reason why I shouldn't be able to live preview a low resolution preview and record simultaneously as well... really simple concept, and there is no good excuse...

Hiker

[ New ]

the part that chaps me the most about all of this is that its not documented on the products specs on the web site.

not having used a gopro since the hero 5 days, i did EXTENSIVE research (im talking several hours. a full business day or more) before my recent purchase to decide if i needed any of the features of the 9 vs the 8. i didnt, but i figured that the price difference wasn't much, so better to have and not use features, than find out i did and not have them. so i bought the 9. only to find out the ONE REASON I BOUGHT A GOPRO IN THE FIRST PLACE wasnt supported on the 9.

this would be very easy information to address on the connectivity section of the specs on the web site. and its not there.
another odd thing is i watched like 20 youtube reviews, tests and evaluation videos and only one (that i found last night - well after my purcase) mentions this issue. 

Nomad

[ New ]

I know, it is not documented... in my honest opinion it should say it right on the box "no live preview while recording"

But I bet it would hurt sales, so deceiving...

Tourist

[ New ]

The same thing happened to me, I couldn't find anyone to mention it, and I really feel ripped off by gopro, if they are not able to solve this I will never buy another gopro product... and please gopro send me a satisfaction survey about your product.
Only the strength of all the users of this camera will solve this problem that makes the gopro9 unusable for the remote control of the camera.

Nomad

[ New ]

No no no... how then I it that I can stream in 1080p to facebook with both screens on and it records a 1080p copy to the sdcard? 

@robovs wrote:

Hiker

[ New ]

i mean RIGHT HERE, there's a SECTION FOR IT! and it BELONGS THERE. (image captured from the live gopro site. 4/15/21) there should be a little asterisk on the "Connects to the GoPro App" field in the 9 column that directs to a footnote explaining the loss of the feature. this info would have saved me DAYS of lost productivity. AND instead of going online, and in as many youtube videos as i can BLASTING gopro for it, i'd be happily using my hero 8 singing how great gopro is.

maybe they thought that doing so might impact sales negatively. but if you asked me, the loss of customer loyalty will be a FAR bigger hit for them.

oh well...

Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 2.06.50 PM.png
Tourist

[ New ]

GoPro was sued for infringing upon 2 patents, 1) allows viewing streaming video from the camera 2) allows controlling the camera and storage via Bluetooth. The court ruled the GoPro has infringed upon the patents since 2014. So, unless they somehow license the tech, it ain't coming back...

Source: https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/contour-ip-holding-llc-v-gopro-inc-70318/

Hiker

[ New ]

that's what ive heard. but then shouldnt the feature also be disabled on 8,7,6, 5 and other previous models?

i'm REALLY afraid that im going to buy an 8 and wake up one day after an update and find that it no longer does it either...

Nomad

[ New ]

Did gopro ever care about customer loyalty? From what I've heard they grind themselves into the dirt and dig themselves out again...

It sucks, because everything else about the camera is solid awesomeness, and then we lose this one extremely extremely helpful, and for me personally, required feature.

Nomad

[ New ]

As of now I stick a mirror to it so I can close one eye and view the front screen in the little mirror to try to frame my shots from my headstrap... it is very frustrating, and very awkward, and rather upsetting... camera blows my mind, and this is depressing.

Nomad

[ New ]

With the live preview I can see where the camera is looking at all times, I set my phone in the corner of the room where I can see it while performing... without that, the camera angles are all coming out **bleep**ty... I end up pulling the camera off my head and holding in one hand and ìt destroys all my pov shots... really really sucks...

Hiker

[ New ]

prior to this situation, my experience with gopro has been STELLAR. 

great tools. useful apps. web site had information that was easy to find. ordering was easy - and delivery faster than expected.
100% of my interaction with chat support has delivered clear answers. and if any resolution or action was required it happened sooner than estimated.

thats another thing that makes this sting so much.