Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Nomad

Re: GoPro Hero 9 not displaying preview when recording in iphone app

[ New ]

@gf52 wrote:

This gets very irritating!

The remote worked until the firmware was updated, then suddenly it didn´t" We had to wait several months until they announced a "new" remote. Which will not be avaliable UNTI FEBRUARY in Europe!

Then the support for the Mic adapter was taken away and we had to wait months before a fix was available.

Now the preview has stopped working, also without any warning. IT DID WORK WHEN WE BOUGHT THE CAMERA!

As an example, we made a full production on October 19th with the Hero 9 controlled from a phone´s preview!

GoPro has made it almost impossible for professional users, at least GoPro, please employ some grown ups, you kids can play in other market segments far away from the professional market!

Yup, worked out of the box, used my tablet to record my first video with live preview on the entire time. And then they took it away, either in the firmware update or the gopro quik update that took place. Somewhere in there it stopped working and I was pretty devastated by this.

Hiker

[ New ]

while i don't know that gopro has any legal responsibility to provide the same features from one model to a newer one (even from update to update), i DO THINK that they have a responsibility to make any changes at least reasonably conspicuous to existing as well as new customers. 

the fact that this isnt addressed ANYWHERE (not even in fine print or a footnote somewhere) in the connectivity section on the features / comparison product page on their website is absolutely unforgivable.

Nomad

[ New ]

I'm sure that there will be a firmware update very very soon.

With all of the reported issues, there has to be.

In fact, by looking at the dates of repeat complaints, and even after receiving replacement cameras, people are still having the same issues, I'd say we should see a firmware update within the next few days, or a week at most. So, just hang in there and give them a fair chance to make it right with that update.

Hiker

[ New ]

@emn420 wrote:

I'm sure that there will be a firmware update very very soon.

With all of the reported issues, there has to be.

In fact, by looking at the dates of repeat complaints, and even after receiving replacement cameras, people are still having the same issues, I'd say we should see a firmware update within the next few days, or a week at most. So, just hang in there and give them a fair chance to make it right with that update.

the dates, number of complaints, and replacing cameras have NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS! its not a bug or hardware issue. the issue is related to an intellectual property lawsuit. the feature was intentionally removed followig that legal issue. once the issue is settled, im sure they will replace the feature with an update. but until all of that washes out, this feature will continue to be disabled on the hero 9 PERIOD.

Tourist

[ New ]

The issues to be resolved are many:
The disappearance of the preview in recording mode.
The terrible screen response that has not been fixed with the latest firmware.
The impossibility to rename the different recording profiles.
Why is this company the only one with this patent conflict?
Why is the preview still possible on other manufacturers and gopro models?....
and the worst: Why is Gopro misleading its customers by saying that it is a hardware capacity problem?

Tourist

[ New ]

ru serious!?  well that just makes me even more mad at the fact it doesn't have it now!

Sightseer

[ New ]

Wow what a camera. To gain some steps and go back on a major part of functioning is just beyond me. I mean surely it should be able to preview at lower rates. My Go pro 3 and 3 plus can. I bought this overheating, glitchy, loosing connection with Iphone and android tablet when trying to operate it in any capacity. The non previewing Hero 9 has left me wondering, expecting that a firmware upgrade would fix it......BUT NO.

Please give me excuses that it is an action cam and has to be used under water or in the snow to stop overheating.  I have used it on the same resolution as the 3plus and it still overheats within a few minutes. Maybe they should be sold as hand warmers. To say that I am extremely disappointed would be an understatement. 

Image quality is not everything to your consumers. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi

I am in the middle of fact finding

Hero Go Pro 9 Black

Recording , preview says available.

I have 2 cards, various clips, various photo and video, and some of them gave a preview when the camera was mounted outside a vehicle during recording.

Many, all others, say no preview available.

I will review this footage and give details of frame rate fps and also card type, etc.

I saw responses saying Iphone did not work but this is an old Samsung droid, updated and all new updated 6.8. 2021 firmware.

Any ideas?

I will get back with my finding to review the settings and try re-create.

Golden

Nomad

[ New ]

I am curious if the new "Open GoPro API" may allow for live preview while recording?

Does anyone know if this is even remotely possible, or am I wasting my time?

Sightseer

[ New ]

.одерьмо полное! дgopro 9 не показывает изображение при видеосъемке. верните деньги демоны.

Backpacker

[ New ]

@emn420 Doubtful, the open API allows for limited interaction with built in controls, the video stream is not included in the API though.  

Sightseer

[ New ]

So it looks like this issue is still not solved. For many of us who use the gopro app to remotely crontrol a camera, the lack of preview while recording would have made us hold off on our purchase of the new camera. Why is it that GoPro has hidden this loss of functionality. Why not be honest, and let the consumer know this function, which still works on my Hero7, is missing from Hero9 rather than pissing off a lot of professional users?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @bravegorge3886

The live preview in the GoPro Quik app while recording using the HERO9 Black is not supported as the camera needs extra energy to perform its processes.
Check out GoPro Quik: Live Preview

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]

This is not acceptable.  I just bought a GP9 thinking it's an upgrade from my GP5, I use the live preview feature always while recording my AA/AAA baseball games.  There's no way I'll be able to use this camera if I have to stop recording to check the framing to make sure a foul ball hasn't knocked it out of frame.  This is unacceptable and I can't believe GoPro hasn't been more transparent nor can they appreciate how dependent users are on this feature.  This is total BS! 

GoPro, I hope you consider the extensive list of users that have expressed concern on your site and you find a way to make this happen.  Even if that means we need to shoot at 1080 with no front screen on, etc.  Something has to give here.

Tourist

[ New ]
We should create a platform of victims of the purchase of GoPro 9 and fight for our money back
Hiker

[ New ]
What’s the scoop GoPro? Playing with my $500 Hero9 and just assumed this live preview during recording was a technological impossibillity. Then, someone gives me a Hero4 and guess what? Yep, that old piece of junk has live preview during recording. Wow, just wow!! Another fine example where GoPro is just a very expensive toy! That and the cloud service is crap. Gotta rethink how I spend my money!b
Tourist

[ New ]

Word is the GoPro 10 will have live streaming again, new processor will allow it. Sell your 9, just dumped mine.

Hiker

[ New ]
So the recommendation for fixing an inadequate system is to spend more $$? Yeah, right! Then what will be left off of the 10?
Nomad

[ New ]

@johnp3668 wrote:

Word is the GoPro 10 will have live streaming again, new processor will allow it. Sell your 9, just dumped mine.

The Hero 10 does NOT have live preview while recording 

Sightseer

[ New ]

When it's actually possible to stream it to facebook/twitch/youtube/whatever. This makes no sense. 

Backpacker

[ New ]

It makes perfect sense if you do your research online.

It has nothing to do with camera performance and never has, it has to do with a lawsuit and GoPro not being allowed to offer live preview while recording on it's newer camera's or offer protune controls in their app.

Hiker

[ New ]
Well, that’s certainly good to know. I did a search and only came up with limited info on the patent infringement dating back to 2014 or something like that. Sure would be nice if they’d update the app to display something like “Cameras manufactured after 2014 do not support this feature” instead of continuing to let everyone think they are just a bunch of boneheads that can’t fix the hardware or software. But, I guess a statement like that doesn’t look good in a slick glossy brochure.
Backpacker

[ New ]

Yup, it would be bad press.  Also more than likely there is a gag order to prevent either party from discussing the issue, so more than likely they actually can't put that message out there.  The case seems small, but it's actually a huge issue.  If GoPro win the case, they get nothing other than the right to patents which are unenforcable, they can't even countersue for costs since the other party is an LLC and the only asset they have is the patents in question. So if GoPro win... they lose.

If the other crowd win, they set precedent, they can then go after every single camera manufacturer out there with the same patent lawsuit.  

So yeah, this is not a good thing at all IMHO.

Tourist

[ New ]

Funny the 8 does live preview and that was out in 2019.

Backpacker

[ New ]
Yes, before the lawsuit reached its current ruling, so only newer cameras are affected until the case is settled.
Tourist

[ New ]

Well I do overlanding and need live preview so I'll stick with my 8 maybe Osmo Action 2 will be out soon, sure that will live preview.