Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Nomad

Re: GoPro Hero 9 not displaying preview when recording in iphone app

[ New ]

I was using the Gopro hero 7 silver before this... the quality of the hero 9 black is so much better

My hero 7 silver did this flawlessly every single time and the hero 9 black can't do it!!! 

I want to rip my **bleep**ing hair out over this!

Nomad

[ New ]

I 100% agree

This is an ESSENTIAL feature for me! I lose out on a lot without it... actually losing money because of it as we speak...

Nomad

[ New ]

I sold the hero 7 silver because to be totally honest, it was junk, froze all of the time, image was noisy, etc... and I bought this solid hero 9 black that has given me no issues whatsoever, but then there is this "brick wall" that I kinda smash into over and over again in frustration...

Tourist

[ New ]

Is the processor and circuitry of the hero7 more powerful than the hero9?
I don't think so, I guess the hero9 is a more advanced camera (?)
So what are they doing with their users?

Nomad

[ New ]

Gopro support would say it was the SD card I was using that was making my hero 7 silver junk, freeze, crash

Guess what! It's the SAME SDCARD I am using in my Hero 9 and it has given me absolutely no issues whatsoever.

Video quality is amazing

Every feature is great

But come on!

We NEED to have that preview while recording

Some of us definitely NEED this

It is essential, crucial, required

PLEASE MAKE THIS POSSIBLE AND TAKE WHATEVER HEAT YOU NEED TAKE BECAUSE YOURE GOIÑG TO LOSE CUSTOMERS!

Over a live preview too...

Hiker

[ New ]

The ability to show preview when recording, plus using the Smart Remote and the Microphone Adapter DID WORK when we bought Hero9 in October. but was suddenly and without any warning taken away with the next firmware update.

I did report about those problem her in the forum at that time.

I did send the information to dpreview.com but it was taken of the forum after just an hour.

I did send a report to the Tony Northrup site, no response!

I did ask DC Rainmaker why he did not mention those flaws in his Hero 9 review, no response!

I have asked several more "reviewers" why they have omitted those facts, no response!

I tried to return the camera and got problems with that.

Tourist

[ New ]

It is something essential for everyone... and not to warn before the purchase of this camera that this function has disappeared is something very serious...
On the other hand I think we deserve some respect... gopro says that "the camera is incapable of processing this enormous amount of information".

Nomad

[ New ]

@gf52 wrote:

The ability to show preview when recording, plus using the Smart Remote and the Microphone Adapter DID WORK when we bought Hero9 in October. but was suddenly and without any warning taken away with the next firmware update.

I did report about those problem her in the forum at that time.

I did send the information to dpreview.com but it was taken of the forum after just an hour.

I did send a report to the Tony Northrup site, no response!

I did ask DC Rainmaker why he did not mention those flaws in his Hero 9 review, no response!

I have asked several more "reviewers" why they have omitted those facts, no response!

I tried to return the camera and got problems with that.

I am with you on this, we need to do this

Tourist

[ New ]

American laws protect the consumer, the same is true in Europe... this is a very serious issue and we deserve a solution.

Nomad

[ New ]

@diegod1852 wrote:

It is something essential for everyone... and not to warn before the purchase of this camera that this function has disappeared is something very serious...
On the other hand I think we deserve some respect... gopro says that "the camera is incapable of processing this enormous amount of information".

Look at the fact I can use it to stream to facebook and it records to the SDcard at the same time!

Their answer is Bull$[-]/£

Nomad

[ New ]

Absolutely true! They don't even inform us that this very big deal of a feature was removed in this new camera... all they kept saying was "more everything"

Nobody was saying anything about losing any features, especially not one that is so important

Nomad

[ New ]

And my Hero 7 SILVER gave me the live preview while recording in 4K too... this is insanity!

I actually may need to ask my therapist for meds because of this

Tourist

[ New ]

This is something like saying: the camera cannot work on Saturdays and Sundays from the next firmware.
Is there anyone responsible for GOPRO around here?

Tourist

[ New ]

I think it is essential to spread this serious problem in the forums and social networks, in Spain it is already being spread in the gopro9 channel on Telegram.

Tourist

[ New ]

Yes, until GoPro sees a financial reason to restore the functionality, it won't. When sales are in the balance they will pay to license this tech and restore the live preview.

Nomad

[ New ]

If I downgrade my firmware, do I get the live preview while recording back?

Or has it also been disabled in the new app itself?

How about in labs firmware?

Anyone?

Please let me know!

Nomad

[ New ]

I've already told 2 people not to buy it, and they were going to... one of them uses on a tripod at his kids games and uses his phone to control it... he will stick with the 8 he already has, he bought it when I bought the hero 7 silver last year to get one up on me. when I told him I bought the 9, he said he had to have that now, but I told him, don't do it! And when I told him why, he agreed, it would be useless to him, and he is sorry that I'm losing out now with the newest hero 9 black... 

If this feature comes back, I know 2 people right off that will buy it... I can't be the only one either...

Nomad

[ New ]

We need to keep this post alive and on top so that others see it, we need to keep this going and hope for others to join in this conversation, because now more than one of us is in complete agreement that this is unacceptable 

Nomad

[ New ]

We don't want this ability back

WE NEED THIS ABILITY BACK!!!

Tourist

[ New ]

Totally agree, we will continue to insist on this forum and others until gopro listens to the users of their products.

Nomad

[ New ]

The video quality is incredible and I can't even make proper use of the camera because of this

Nomad

[ New ]

I love the front screen, use it once in awhile, but normally I turn it off, that feature is not what I purchased it for... I purchased it for "More Everything"

Nomad

[ New ]

@aragon1006 wrote:

Hi @nicktgo

The live preview in the GoPro App while recording using the HERO9 Black is not supported as the camera needs extra energy to perform its processes.
Sending live feed over Wi-Fi while recording will not be possible.

Please continue checking our website for updates.

Thanks!

Ej

This answer is unacceptable simply because it will stream to YouTube, facebook, and twitch, flawlessly while recording to the SD card... this fact renders your answer BS...

Nomad

[ New ]

This camera could definitely provide a low resolution preview on my tablet while recording...

Even my hero 7 silver could do this while shooting in 4k resolution... enough with the garbage answers like this and tell us, you're customers, what is really going on

Nomad

[ New ]

I am literally sending a live feed over wifi while recording when I stream to facebook and have it save a copy to the SDcard... stop saying it isn't possible when I'm not an idiot.

Nomad

[ New ]

WE NEED LIVE PREVIEW WHILE RECORDING!

Nomad

[ New ]

We can't just accept this, we need to demand this !

Hiker

[ New ]

you guys need to read that article that was posted earlier in the thred. its ok to be angry, but you need to understand the source of the problem (and gopro would do themselves tremendous benefit if theyd just be honest with tehir customers about the situation)

https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/contour-ip-holding-llc-v-gopro-inc-70318/

it looks like that feature will be dead until gopro figures a new way around it or pays licensing to contour.

Nomad

[ New ]

Still unacceptable... they need to provide the features and take the heat... that's all there is to it

Tourist

[ New ]

If gopro has infringed two patents it is not our problem.
It has several solutions:
Include another technology of your own or someone else's
Pay for the use of that technology
Cut the price of its cameras in half.
Refund the money to the cheated users
Tell the truth without lies
Be honest with the purchasers of your cameras.

Hiker

[ New ]

ed, you need to calm down. you've made your point. and its a very good one. but blathering on about it isnt going to change anything. and will probably make those who would have been on our side, question your sanity instead.

IF this lawsuit thing is indeed the culprit, there are legal realities at play here. the lawsuit was clearly punitive in intent and simply "taking the heat" may well not be a financially viable option for gopro.

and from what ive seen, people like us who use this feature MAY be in the minority. it may be time for us to simply move to dji, sony, insta360 etc...

i do though wish gopro would be more forthcomming with information, instead of making up stories to cover for it.

Hiker

[ New ]
Nomad

[ New ]

Still unacceptable 

Hiker

[ New ]

yet further reading. it's most recent (3/17/21) article i can find.

https://casetext.com/case/contour-ip-holding-llc-v-gopro-inc-10

it SOUNDS like contour LOST a decision for ongoing royalties. but im not sure how that relates (or not) to use of the disputed technology. 

in multiple online chats with gopro support i was told repeatedly that it MAY be addressed by their "advanced team" and be resolved in future firmware updates. while i dont have time for that. and have already returned my recently purchased 9, i do hope those of you who still have them will be presented with a resolution soon.

Tourist

[ New ]

The following cameras have live preview record:
Midland H5+
Victure AC 920
Eyeshot HD Action Cam
DJ Osmo
Sony FDR x3000.......................................
Many of them are low cost cameras.

Where did they get the technology?
GoPro why are you cheating your customers?

Hiker

[ New ]

Isn´t it ironic that this thread is marked as solved (by GoPro?)?

Tourist

[ New ]

For GoPro, it is a good thing that this serious problem is not talked about and not spread... It is a "solved" problem

Nomad

[ New ]

Hmm..

Tourist

[ New ]

GoPro where are you?

We are still having the same problem.

Tourist

[ New ]

this post was opened on 10 /01/2020 = GoPro: 473 days without fixing this serious problem

Sightseer

[ New ]

I CANT BELIEVE WE ARE STILL HAVING THIS PROBLEM AFTER SO LONG AND SO MANY COMMNETS ON THIS ISSUE, & AND PEOPLE ARE REALLY TRYING TO GIVE OUT GOOD SOLUTIONS TO THIS PROBLEM. And in my opinion there are a couple of good ideas for a firmware update that we could all use, have this solved. I JUST HOPE THEY GET TO THIS SOON, BECAUSE IT IS A VERY MUCH NEEDED FEATURE, SPECIALLY WHEN OLDER MODELS HAD IT. like What kinda shXt is that? you know? lol

Hiker

[ New ]

if you look back a couple pages in this discussion. i found (and linked) articles that explain that this is part of an intellectual property lawsuit.
not a hardware limitation as gopro would have us believe. id imagine as soon as they are legally allowed, the feature will be re-activated in an update. 

Nomad

[ New ]

@wayneg25820 wrote:

if you look back a couple pages in this discussion. i found (and linked) articles that explain that this is part of an intellectual property lawsuit.
not a hardware limitation as gopro would have us believe. id imagine as soon as they are legally allowed, the feature will be re-activated in an update. 

I really do hope so, but something tells me that a great dirty marketing strategy would be to give the ability back in a new camera, like the hero 10.

Dirty, nasty strategy, and I'll be completely done with GoPro. I already bought this upgrade for "more everything" only to discover an extremely important feature.

Sightseer

[ New ]

whatever they do I really hope is for the good cause, because this is just not cool at all! 

Sightseer

[ New ]

If this is the schedule they are trying to run..? they should know is a **bleep**ty and backstabbing one. Atleast thats how it would personally, make me  feel. But if they are havent done anything by now, you are probably right!

Hiker

[ New ]

yeah, i did the same thing. 

fortunately i realized early enough in and was able to return the 9 for a refund and order an 8 (which isnt effected by the lawsuit).

you have no idea how much time i sunk into investigating why a feature i had (and depended on) in my old 5 wasnt present in the newest model. AND SUSPICIOUSLY, of at least a dozen or more youtube reviews - ONLY ONE of them mentioned the ommission of this feature.

Nomad

[ New ]

It should be right there on the advertisement

*camera does not provide live preview while recording as in previous models.

Never would have bought it.

And, lawyers agree that GoPro knew this, and not only that, they have done this sort of thing in the past a handful of times.

I've seen complaints now from enough people, and GoPro has yet to make good on this. And I could use compensation as I am actually suffering personal injury from this, and I now also have documentation from my psychologist and my stress management therapist to prove this, and have an appointment tomorrow afternoon as well.

Nomad

[ New ]

"More everything"

Nomad

[ New ]

Extreme distress with episodes of psychosis

Call me crazy! I am!

And that's gonna help us take action

Nomad

[ New ]

The first video I shot with the hero 9 was before updating firmware, and it was with the older GoPro app on Android, and right out of the box, it had live preview while recording.

It wasn't till the Quik app update and the firmware update that I could no longer have it, so that alone is proof that the camera is capable