Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro Hero 9 - file corrupt

[ New ]

Hi,

I bouth bundle with 64GB micro SD card and sometimes i got corrupted files. Some of the footage are importand like my sons second birthday. That file I cant even copy to PC (Windows 10 and Linux Mint as well). The sequence was too long and GoPro splited in two files. One file is corrupt and the other one is OK.

I had that problem before. I tried erase card via Smartphone app but problem remains.

I have latest update.

Is there a solution?

Please help

Ivan

(btw Linux Mint plays HVEC much better then Windows 10)

Screenshot from 2021-05-21 10-19-20.png

Accepted Solutions
Backpacker

Re: GoPro Hero 9 - file corrupt

[ New ]

Once you get a file corruption on your SD card, this increases  the risk for further file corruption.  A full format must be carried out on the SD card in order to fix these file errors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=633S-6lagDI

View solution in original post

Are you fed up with your GoPro locking up, freezing and refusing to record video? Your issue may not be with the camera, but simply with a corrupt SD card. ...

All Replies
Backpacker

[ New ]

Once you get a file corruption on your SD card, this increases  the risk for further file corruption.  A full format must be carried out on the SD card in order to fix these file errors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=633S-6lagDI

Are you fed up with your GoPro locking up, freezing and refusing to record video? Your issue may not be with the camera, but simply with a corrupt SD card. ...
Tourist

[ New ]

Thank you for advice and YT video tutorial.

So far it is wokrnig.

:D

Sightseer

[ New ]

GoPro Hero 9 is a great camera. you can use in also under water. i strongly recommended to buy this. many more advantage write in this article for GoPro Hero 9

Backpacker

[ New ]

@zd1400rt You are most very welcome.

It's possible (and likely) that the error will occur again eventually (for me, it's maybe once every 3 months?).  When it does, you'll need to repeat the steps in the video to prevent SD card corruption (and therefore more crashes).

Tourist

[ New ]

After having a lot of success with the GoPro 4 Black, I recently purchased the Hero 9 bundle with the SanDisk Extreme 64GB V30 card.  I ran into similar SD corrupt errors and unplayable files, and reformatted the card from the camera.  After the reformat, I filled the card to 90+% with multiple videos from a recent vacation.  The camera then started complaining about SD card errors again, and Windows and the camera were only able to show about 6 of the 40+ videos in the file explorer view.  After panicking for about 5 hours, and unsuccessful web searches for the solution, I ran Windows utility "chkdsk /f <drive letter>" on the drive.  Chkdsk found upwards of 30 file system errors, managed to resolve all of them, and allowed me to recover all of the content!  Before doing this, I captured a full RAW disk image using hxdedit so I could revert the action just in case it made the problem worse, and if your content was as important, I suggest doing the same.

My camera is currently on the 1.52 firmware version, I hope this has been resolved in the 1.6 update if it truly is a firmware problem, but see nothing in the release notes.

Tourist

[ New ]

Also, I'm not sure I agree with the need for the full card format per the DemonView recommendation.  This will write info to all sectors prior to being quick formatted by the camera.  This may have the benefit of refreshing the flash cells on the SD card with a known state, but unless there is a serious NAND-cell level hardware issue on these SD cards, that shouldn't matter.  The more likely scenario is that there is a ExFAT file system firmware issue that needs to be fixed.