Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

GoPro Hero 9 external power

[ New ]

Can we use external power on GoPro Hero 9 while filming ?

Accepted Solutions
GoPro Community Manager

Re: GoPro Hero 9 external power

[ New ]

@cosminn3660 - All you need to do is set up your GoPro so it's ready to shoot and then connect the USB cable to the camera. Then, plug the USB cable into a power source like a USB wall plug, an external power bank, etc. Once that's done, you can start recording and the GoPro will pull power from the external source.

Note that while the USB cable is plugged into the GoPro, the camera is not waterproof, so you will want to make sure the camera is protected if you're going to use it where it may get wet.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Tourist

[ New ]

Yes.

Hiker

[ New ]

Can anyone give me instructions about doing that? Thanks!

GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

@cosminn3660 - All you need to do is set up your GoPro so it's ready to shoot and then connect the USB cable to the camera. Then, plug the USB cable into a power source like a USB wall plug, an external power bank, etc. Once that's done, you can start recording and the GoPro will pull power from the external source.

Note that while the USB cable is plugged into the GoPro, the camera is not waterproof, so you will want to make sure the camera is protected if you're going to use it where it may get wet.

Sightseer

[ New ]
It doesn’t seem to work for me. I used a USB battery bank with all of my older gopros. As soon as you press record, the 9 does not show that it is receiving any power via the “lightning bolt.” Any confirmation would be great. Thanks.
GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

When the HERO9 Black is operating, it may not show a charging signal since the incoming power is being used to power the camera, not to charge the battery.

Try starting the recording with the battery in but the external power not connected. Then, once the recording is going, you should be able to connect the external power. The HERO9 should continue to record using that external power in combination with the battery (or only using the external power if you then remove the battery).

Tourist

[ New ]

OK.  I'm confused by the answers provided so far.  Probably me.. but let me explain what I've done and see if that helps.

I currently use a Hero7 Black on my motorcycle.  I like to record rides using hyperlapse mostly.

If I run the camera with the battery in AND connected to external power it just runs until the battery dies and turns off.  It ignores the external power entirely.

If I run the camera without the battery AND connected the external power it runs until the memory card fills up or the camera overheats.

I'd prefer the camera to run on both.  That way when I stop for gas or food I don't have to set the camera back up when I get back on the bike.  Also it loses the time and date most of the time.  That's a total hassle to have to set each time I get on the bike.

If the Hero9 has "solved" this issue I'll buy one.  I kind of like the auto level feature anyway.  Otherwise I'm pretty happy with the Hero7 performance.  Works great for what I mainly use it for.

All answers appreciated.

Tourist

[ New ]

Here is what I experience with my Hero9:

Battery in, external power attached, not recording = lightning displaying that the battery is charging in battery icon

Battery in, external power attached, recording = no lightning displayed in battery icon, but it is charging as my percentage increases.

Looks like it works as you would want it to outside of it showing it is charging the battery.

Side note, it appears you can remove and replace the battery without issue while recording and the battery icon simply states no battery until the new battery is installed.

Sightseer

Re: GoPro Hero 9 connect to power box

[ New ]

how do you connect gopro 9 to power box

GoPro

[ New ]

@michaelv57122, you can use the USB-C cable that came with your HERO9 Black to shoot videos and photos while your camera is plugged into a USB-charging adapter, the GoPro Supercharger, another GoPro charger, or the GoPro Portable Power Pack. This is perfect for capturing long videos and time-lapse events. 

Even though your camera is charging, the battery will not charge during recording. It will start charging when you stop recording. You cannot record while your camera is plugged into a computer. 

Heads Up: Because the door is open, your camera is not waterproof when charging.

Tourist

[ New ]
I’m a hang glider pilot who needs an external battery solution for a GoPro 9 so that I can record video of flights lasting at least 4 hours. I have limited abilities during a flight to operate camera controls (I’m busy flying and often with gloves on). From what I’m learning on this thread it appear I can use a GoPro USB cable to attach an external battery. If that’s so then I’d appreciate learning more about what battery would be best to use. Another concern is wind nose. I’m in need of a cover for a GoPro 9 that I can easily modify to add the USB cable to the camera. I’m using an external battery on a GoPro 4 now that has a housing made for the camera with the external battery with a wind cover over the housing. I’ve not upgraded to a newer GoPro solely due to battery life issues and poor solutions for my needs (4+ hours of hands off recording). I’ll shell out big $ to get a GoPro 9 and accessories if it will record lengthy flights.
Tourist

[ New ]

There's a new USB pass through door accessory for the Hero9 (https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/mounts-accessories/usb-pass-through-door/ADCOD-001.html). I assume it can be used with the GoPro Portable Power Pack (???).
Also wondering if the USB pass through door can be used with the Media Mod (https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/mounts-accessories/hero9-black-camera-media-mod/ADFMD-001.html) (???).

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @steveb54524. There is more information on the other uses of the USB Passthrough Door at USB Pass-Through Door that you may refer to. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Read that. I need to learn whether the USB pass through door can be used with the media mod. I'm not familiar with the Hero9 so I do not know if the media mod takes up the space used by the USB pass through door. For my main use of a GoPro (hang gliding) I need both long battery life and wind noise suppression. I don't want to buy the USB pass through door and the media mod and find out I cannot use them together.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @steveb54524

No. You would need to take the door out if using the camera with the Media Mod.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

I shoot almost exclusively with USB-C power because I am filming Hummingbirds using 240fps (https://www.instagram.com/thehummingbirdchronicles/) and it works great.  I need to be on the ready (using Hindsight for when the little guys appear).  I remember hearing from a support individual that if you are going to record using USB-C for long duration (or be in standby mode) that you should remove the battery due to heat. 

Just checking here to see if there is different guidance.  I sure wish Hindsight would not timeout after some time of inactivity.  

Backpacker

[ New ]

So first of all, a quick review of GoPro's USB Passthrough door.

DemonView Review GoPro's best product EVER! Pass-Through USB Door - YouTube

Spoiler alert, it's fantastic and well worth the buy.

2nd:  Here's the low down on using an external power supply as experienced over a number of years using GoPro's from the 2, 4, 6, 8, 9 and Fusion.

Your GoPro will not run off an external power supply if you have the internal battery inside the camera.  Instead your GoPro will run off the internal battery until the battery drains.  At which point the camera will power off and start to charge from the external power supply.

Also likely to happen is your camera will overheat and shut down during this process.

In order to use an external power supply, you should always remove the GoPro's internal battery first and then power via an external power supply.  It works, period.

For those asking if you can use the USB passthrough door with a media mod the answer is no, nor is it needed.  To attach the media mod the battery door must be removed as the media mod connects to the USB-C socket under the battery door.  However the media mod has it's own USB-C port on the back for powering your camera using an external power supply.  The same guideline applies, if powering using an external power supply, you should remove the internal battery first.  Please note that unlike the USB Passthrough door, the media mod is NOT weather resistant.

There have been a few odd reports of people who have connected their camera to external power supplies with the battery inside and managed to record without draining the battery.  This is actually an anomoly and isn't the norm at all.  It could be due to them not using a recommended power supply and in most likelyhood over time, will end up damaging the camera and inscrease the risk of overheating.

For those who need to power their camera using an external power supply and don't want a power cut when turning off the electrics on their bike or car, I simply suggest purchasing a power bank and securing it on your bike or car.  Most power banks are quite small and larger heavier ones can usually power your camera for a number of days.  So it's all about how much power you require vs size and weight and how good you are at securing things.

Hopefully the above info helps!

In this review I tell you all about GoPro's best product ever. It's very needed, it's intelligently designed and it's just an all around fantastic product.....
Hiker

[ New ]
Thanks @irishmanpdx for confirmation on removing internal battery for USB-C powering.
Sightseer

[ New ]

Which power bank would you use for a 3 day timelapse? I'm at a location with access to power, but the client wants me to run it through a powerbank. I haven't found a powerbank that charges and provides power concurrently. 

I've considered just plugging the camera into a computer battery backup as well. If I went that route, which one would you recommend?

Hiker

[ New ]

I use this one and it works great....

Anker PowerCore 26800 Portable Charger

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JIWQPMW

Tourist

[ New ]

Regarding your statement, "There have been a few odd reports of people who have connected their camera to external power supplies with the battery inside and managed to record without draining the battery.  This is actually an anomoly and isn't the norm at all.  It could be due to them not using a recommended power supply and in most likelyhood over time, will end up damaging the camera and inscrease the risk of overheating."

This is not true at all. I have been supplying external power kits for GoPro cameras for years [www.3brpowersports.com]. I supply kits for the HERO3, HERO3+, HERO4, HERO5, HERO6, HERO7, HERO8, HERO9 and HERO5 SESSION.

In all cases, there is no need to remove the battery when operating the camera on external power.

Recording mode and charging mode each generate a lot of heat. Therefore GoPro firmware prevents the battery from charging while recording. 

I recommend leaving the battery in the camera so any power glitch will not turn the camera off as it would with the battery removed.

Backpacker

[ New ]

Yes, I recognize your products, I've recommended them to people and redirected them to your site.

My statement:  Your GoPro won't charge while recording.

Your Statement:  GoPro firmware prevents the battery from charging while recording. 

So not sure why my statement is "not true at all" and yours is?  

Tourist

[ New ]

Sorry, you missed the key part of my reply, i.e., " in most likelyhood over time, will end up damaging the camera and inscrease the risk of overheating."

Running external power with the battery in place will not "end up damaging the camera nor will it increase the "risk of overheating" due to the fact that as you & I both mentioned "Your GoPro won't charge while recording"

My apologies for not making my comments clear and also thanks for the recommends.
Let me add that the GoPro External Power kit is a superbly elegant design and very low cost.

Unless a user needs the added protection of an aluminum case I would recommend it over my X~PWR-H9.

Bummer for me and my tiny company but that the fact.

Hiker

[ New ]

Will there be a pass through door coming for the Hero 8 any time soon? Thanks

Backpacker

[ New ]

Ahhh, it's one of those internet communication things, where you can't tell if someone is making a joke, being serious, being insulting OR JUST HAS A STUCK CAPS KEY!

My point about overheating and damage was in relation to using a non recommended power supply.  I didn't mean to imply that every non recommended power supply could cause issues, but some may.  Playing the safe card for end users, after all, I've seen people complain about why their GoPro didn't continue to work after they put it in a microwave........ after all, it's made of plastic.......    (and I really wish I were joking about that but unfortunately I'm not).  The last thing I want is someone to figure "I'm pretty sure I can just rewire this USB cable directly into a 110V outlet, that should be enough voltage...".  This may already have been done, I don't know, I haven't checked the Darwin awards in quite some time....   The fact that your power supplies fall wall within the definition of being a recommended power supply should be of comfort to those considering a purchase.

The reason I recommend your products is actually because it's a well designed and well engineer solution that allows for not only adding an external power supply, but keeps the internal componants free from water intrusion (the big one that people need), also the aluminum case also helps with heat disappation while adding an extra layer of fall or bump protection to the GoPro itself.  This is actually why I suggest people get the X~PWR-H9 and don't just tell them to get the External Power Kit.  If you pay $350 for a camera, you want to protect it!  Also even with the GoPro Plus return policy, it's still cheaper than paying the replacement fee and waiting 14 days+ for a replacement (longer if they don't have stock).  So protect your camera, go for the X~PWR-H9 kit!  

Backpacker

[ New ]

It may come it may not, the fact is that enough units have to sell and enough interest has to be generated to make production of such an accessory worthwhile.  GoPro could have even taken a loss on the USB passthru door for the 9, but just launched it in order to have another accessory to help those on the fence about buying (rather than just use an Ulanzi door on their old Hero 8 for instance).

Take a look about what I said regarding the X~PWR-H9, the X~PWR-H8 offers the same protection for the GoPro Hero 8.  It maintains a water intrusion free connection and is a vast improvement over other current USB doors available for the Hero 8.  If external power and camera protection are what you're after, then it's a solution that's available now.

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks Mate, Well said.

I hear you with the Darwin award.

I have had a few mini-darwins with customers who aren't aware that USB is a 5VDC standard. They cut off the USB-A plug and wire their camera to a 12VDC battery.

I'm absolutely amazed at how long their camera runs on 12VDC. Sadly, in the end Ohms law prevails and all of the smoke escapes from the camera.

Cheers,

Tourist

Re: GoPro Hero 9 connect to USB pass tru door

[ New ]
Just bought first Go Pro. A GoPro black hero 9.........
I have a 2 Part question:(2nd question is for the go pro customer support staff)
1- if I want to run continuous power why can’t I just use the go pro made weather resistant USB Pass-Through Door
HERO9 Black for $19.99 connected directly via the supplied usb c to ac power.
2-when will GoPro have the weather resistant USB Pass-Through Door
HERO9 Black for $19.99 Back in stock? Thankyou

https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/mounts-accessories/usb-pass-through-door/ADCOD-001.html
Tourist

[ New ]

USB is a 5VDC standard. You have to have some kind of a USB regulator if you want to run off AC power.

There are many AC USB adapters available.

None that I know of are weatherproof so you will need to cobble up something.

Tourist

[ New ]

Tourist

[ New ]
Yes it would need a usb- c same as when you charge a smart phone. The link I attached to my original inquiry states the go pro connection -cord to the charger door on go pro 9 is water resistant ( see link I attached on original inquiry). The other end would depend on where the usb charger port is, exposed or not( in my case -on a boat -in a protected console). Let me know what you think. Check out the link. And Thankyou. Still would also like to also hear from go pro on when it will be back in supply.- competitors solutions are much more cumbersome or much more expensive that $ 19.99. 👍
Tourist

[ New ]
Hey Irishmanpdx I just read your review on the go pro 9 with the new GoPro door & water resistant cable.( I should have went back that far on the thread before I asked my question) Excellent review you did great job explaining difference between it & old go pro 8 door& how the new one
functions. It’s answered all my question. Now I just see go pro to get back to me on I when they will have it back down in stock! Thankyou
Backpacker

[ New ]
Glad you found it helpful and hopefully I explained the difference between the GoPro solution and the competition. Since this forum is run by GoPro tech support they may not have any insight as to when the door will be back in stock as sales is a completely different division. The only thing you can do is keep checking back to see if stock is available.
Tourist

[ New ]
Thankyou IMpdx. I am new to the go pro ,but very experienced in others .I found your reviews, comments & insight spot on! Thanks again.
Tourist

[ New ]

There is a problem when you will use external power supply during filming ouside, you need to have the door open to battery and microsdsx, in rainy weather it is not useable.

With my old Hero3 fitted in a watertight house it was possible to make a tight opening in the house to sypply power to thr spare-battery.

Any solution to this.

Use the camera during cycling long events.

Backpacker

[ New ]

Yes, GoPro specifically make a water tight USB passthrough door for this.  It's will keep rain and snow out of your camera, it can't be used for diving or swimming though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZMwI0VEpxg

In this review I tell you all about GoPro's best product ever. It's very needed, it's intelligently designed and it's just an all around fantastic product.....
Tourist

[ New ]
Hi, does anyone have experience with USB charging cable, for HERO 9, what is the maximum cable length and that the camera can work with the battery in it and with external power supply, but also that it can work without battery only with the help of external power supply?
Tourist

[ New ]

The USB standard specifies a maximum length of 10 feet. But that is for reliable data transfer. You should be able to run twice that or more when just powering the camera. Be sure to use a quality USB cable with at least AWG24 power and gnd conductors. Look for cables that say 24/28 as they are AWG24 pwr/gnd, AWG 28 data conductors.

Even though the camera will record just fine with external power and no battery, I prefer to leave the battery in when recording with external power. That way, if there is a power glitch the camera will continue to record. If the battery is removed, then recording stops with even a quick power glitch and won't turn back on. 

It is important to note that GoPro cameras do not charge the battery when recording. Each function generates a lot of heat and the camera cannot support the heat load of both running simultaneously.

Tourist

[ New ]

When I connect external power to my Gopro 9 using a Anker battery with the internal battery still in the camera, it shorts out my camera and shuts down when I hit record.  It will come back on and say: REPAIRING DAMAGED FILE and then comes back on. The camera will not record if I take the internal battery out and just use external power.

Tourist

[ New ]

Are you using the GoPro cable or another quality USB cable?

If your USB cable is not the GoPro cable check to be sure the one that you are using is high quality. Some low cost cables do not have the 56K ohm resistor in the sense circuit which can cause overload.

Backpacker

[ New ]

Do you have a make and model of the power supply?  Not all external batteries are created equal.  Also now that you have had file corruption on your SD card, you're going to experience more and more issues with that SD card until you fix the SD card corruption (a "Quick" format in the GoPro does nothing to fix corruption issues).

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi, Have just tried same procedure as you described.

Camera not turn on and connect the Anker wire and turn on the Anker and then the camera, worked as it should.

Camera on and filming and connect wire will turn on Anker automatical.

Turn off worked as it should.

Tourist

[ New ]
Tourist

[ New ]

Same Anker I use.

Tourist

[ New ]

The media mod has it's own pass-through door.

Tourist

[ New ]

Using an external battery, is it okay to use the 2.4 amp outlet, or is the 1 amp required?  I'm running two GoPro Hero 9s off the same battery, and have the option of using the two 1 amp outlets for the cameras, the two 2.4 amp outlets, or one of each.  Also, the option of using a second external battery, so that each camera has its own.  Thank you.

Tourist

[ New ]

Correct but you need to take out the internal battery to avoid stop of recording when it automaticaty changed between internal and external power source.