Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

GoPro Hero 9 doesn't turn on with Media Mod

[ New ]

Well, I already posted about the Hero9 slowly draining the battery when connected via HDMI - so I removed the battery to keep it going. Turns out: it doesn't turn on with the media mod and USB only, no battery. It DOES turn on instantly with USB only, no battery and the Media Mod removed.

As I have been trying to reach support for a week now and it's just non-existing, maybe someone here can help: is my Media Mod malfunctioning? Under which e-mail address can I actually get support as a registered GoPro customer who bought his Hero 9 from the GoPro shop (biggest mistake ever!)?

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: GoPro Hero 9 doesn't turn on with Media Mod

[ New ]

Hello, @agileflash86561. We just did a test and we were able to turn the camera on with this setup: no battery inside the camera, Media Mod attached, the camera connected to an external power source. 

Make sure that the camera is pushed in all the way to the Media Mod to securely connect it to the camera. Also, see to it that you are using a charger or a power source that outputs 5V, 1-2A. Connection to the power source should be using the USB-C charging cable that came with the camera. 

If this is not the case, there could be a fault to the hardware. Then it will be best to connect with our Support team through visit https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . If chat does not work, you may submit a callback request. In doing so, you will be provided a case number. If you do not receive a call, we can use the case number to follow up with Support. 

Hiker

[ New ]

This did work before with USB - it just didn't work today after being without power for a couple of days. I'm trying another adapter now (this one 5V, 2A, the previous one 5V 3.1A).I'll get back to the forum if this doesn't work either.

Hiker

[ New ]

So here's my test: 1) disconnect the Go Pro Hero 9 from any power for a day 2) connect it via USB again. Result: with the Media Mod, the red light at the front flashes until you turn the camera off. After that, it won't turn on again. If you remove the media mod and plug the USB cable in directly (still no battery), it works.

GoPro

[ New ]

@agileflash86561, please contact our Support Team so they can look further into this. You may reach out to them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives.

Hiker

[ New ]

I tried again to reach anybody via the contact form (for the 10th time or so). When I click on "chat" I get a message "Chat is currently unavailable for you.". When I click on "call back", I get a message "Invalid Captcha. Please retry." - but there is no Captcha on the page (!). I'm planning to report an fraud offense to the police now - I sent you my old camera A MONTH ago as part of the trade-up program but I never heard from you nor seen any money, also there was no indication of a trade-up program on the invoice I got, instead I was forced into a one year subscription and I can't reach anybody. As I'm getting NO SUPPORT whatsoever, I'm also selling my Hero 9 and the Media Mod on eBay now. May some other poor soul live thrive in your customer hell. This has been the worst customer experience in a decade. Never again a GoPro, I'd rather buy DJi now, even of their products were inferior.

GoPro

[ New ]

Apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused you, @agileflash86561. We try to help out as best as we can.

When contacting our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs, if you haven't yet, try again after clearing cache and cookies or using a different browser. You may also explore using an incognito browser to see if it makes a difference. Also, please manually enter the details on the form; do not copy-paste the info.

Once on the page, fill out the form and you will be given an option to initiate a chat conversation or to request a callback. Be sure to put in your best contact number on the form.

Should you encounter any issue scheduling a callback or a live chat, please ensure that your browser isn't blocking cookies and the pop-up blocker should be disabled. If you run across issues, there are some suggestions provided by a Hub member in this thread that might help.