Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

GoPro Hero 9 black beeps lots and then stops recording

[ New ]
Hi,

I recently got the Hero 9 for Christmas and have been using it skiing. In general it runs without a problem, however sometimes it will beep lots and then just stop recording, the SD card is not full and there is still 75% battery, do you know the reason for this?

Thanks
Tourist

Re: GoPro Hero 9 black beeps lots and then stops recording

[ New ]

I had this kind of error only once but I was looking at the screen when it happened and saw briefly a message about "SD card error" or "missing", don't remember the exact text anymore. The GP9 beeped and stopped recording. The camara was just lying on the table, no movement at all and the SD card is a good brand and speed, been using this card in my other cams without any issues. The recording was just started, no overheating.

This error on top of the sound problems I have makes the camera unusable.

Tourist

[ New ]

I encountered exactly same problem with my go pro 9. Same thing, camera is turned off, put aside, and it suddenly switches on on its own. Nothing on earth could possibly trigger the power button.

During filming it randomly stops shooting. The battery is well charged, sd card has still plenty of space, voice control is switched off.

Also, today when I was filming, the camera was showing all the time that it was recording. When I viewed the footage in the end of the day, out of 3 hours footage it only recorded about 30 mins! I got fully charged battery (and a spare one fully charged) and plenty of space on my SD card. Also, I made sure I am using Gopro recommended SD card.

I noticed that even though there have been severeal issues with go pro 9 since I purchased it 3 months ago (including random freezing, no gps stickers applied - those seem to have been fixed), after the last firmware update two days ago it became too unreliable for the supposedly best action camera in the world.

GoPro

[ New ]

Sorry to hear about the trouble, @simãodocaminhão, @myriamb3268, @megahero706. We'd like to gather a few details. What's the SD card brand and its capacity? What's the weather condition when the camera was used? When did you start to experience the issue? What's the camera setup (e.g. mounts used and mounting location)?

Also, if you haven't yet, try to manually reinstall the camera's firmware. Using an SD card adapter, connect your microSD card to your computer and follow the Manual Update instructions specified in this article: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/How-to-Update-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394229 

Additionally, performing a factory reset in the camera may help.

Let us know how it goes.

Tourist

[ New ]

@aenriquez wrote:

Sorry to hear about the trouble, @simãodocaminhão, @myriamb3268, @megahero706. We'd like to gather a few details. What's the SD card brand and its capacity? What's the weather condition when the camera was used? When did you start to experience the issue? What's the camera setup (e.g. mounts used and mounting location)?

Also, if you haven't yet, try to manually reinstall the camera's firmware. Using an SD card adapter, connect your microSD card to your computer and follow the Manual Update instructions specified in this article: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/How-to-Update-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394229 

Additionally, performing a factory reset in the camera may help.

SD is the SanDisk Extreme 32 GB card that came with the camera, but I also had the issue with a SanDisk Extreme 64 GB A2 card. Card was formated in camera. Empty or almost empty card.

Indoors, room temp. 21°C/ hum. 45%

Happens about 1/20 recordings, within 2 minutes after recording starts. 

Camera lying on the table, not moving or mounted on a tripod. It did not move the camera as I was testing for the audio pops issue I also have, see big thread on this forum. So far I didn't have this problem when testing outdoor or in my car.

FW installs manually already many times, resets etc...

Tourist

[ New ]

microSD card in use: PNY PRO Elite 256GB

Temperature during shooting: currently 1-5 degrees Celsius

Mount used: chest mount

Steps performed:

1. I reformatted the memory card through card reader connected to my PC

Result: I have not since experienced problems with camera turning off itself while shooting or camera indicating it is recording while in fact it is not

2.  I reinstalled go pro mobile app (as while I viewed the thumbnails of videos stored on my camera, I was unable to  preview them and this only started happening after most recent firmware update - I probably forgot to mention this before)

Result: I have so far been able to preview camera footage through gopro mobile app

Still unsolved: problem with camera accidently powering on unfortunately persist - last time it happened yesterday when camera  was turned off and out on a shelf. I had to remove the battery to prevent it from draining, as once powered on it doesn't power off but continues until the battery drains down to 0%,, with camera greatly overheating.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @myriamb3268 @simãodocaminhão

Do you have the camera paired with the app?

Can you please check if the same happens when the Wireless Connection is switched off?

You may also reach out to Support through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to have this checked further.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Wireless connection was on, but not connected to my iPhone.

After the beeps and message the camera switches off by itself. When I switch it back on there is a message on the display saying the broken file has been repaired.

I said it happens 1/20, but it seems to be more 1/30. Very rare but when it happens if you jump that once in a lifetime out of a plane it's a bummer.