Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: GoPro Hero 9 Video shaky and blurry footage

[ New ]

Copy and paste much?Mine works great.4K,60fps,hl on...wide fov.iso min 800,max 1600.

Protune enabled.Bit rate high,shutter auto.Color flat.Sharpness on high.

Equipped with the Lens mod and all.

I take motorcycle videos.They come out very good.Clear,crisp.Only along the very outside edge of stuff passing by does it get a bit blurred,but not always and not really noticeable.https://youtu.be/EPSEY9jE5cM

Hiker

[ New ]

What does copying and pasting have to do with it?

You're shooting in broad daylight.  The flaws of this camera are mainly that it's terrible in less-than-bright light (both the noise and the stabilisation).  ISO minimum 800 ... YIKES!  That's a desperation MAX setting.  Also, if your sharpness is on high you're not picky in the same ways as many who would complain about picture quality. (That said I've recently boosted sharpness to Med becasue trying to apply sharpening to compressed mush and noise is a bad thing .. one can do it with "real" cameras with "real" flat profiles, but not this.)  Also, you are shooting in Wide.  All the flaws are less apparent in Wide.  In short, you are using the camera for what it was specifically designed for, and it performs satisfactorily for you.

I will say that I after I did my 1:1 settings compare with my Hero 7 I'm liking the Hero 9 a lot better _ in bright light_.  There is generally more detail, I've found, the highlight handling is better, and the Linear+HL, if not stressed out, works well _in bright light_.

In semi dodgy light, one must use Shutter lock 22 and 45.  But if it's bright out Auto is fine.

The stabilisation has serious issues with panning slowly and going around corners on roads (not curves ... corners) in that it tries to straighten them, and then jerks into place.  That seems to happen with both Linear and Wide, HS on low.  I shudder (no pun intended) to think what it would do on High or Boost.

In short, the camera seems fine, IF (note the big IF) one is aware of the situations in which it is not happy, and know how to change settings to prevent footage disgust, so requires a bit more attention.

Hiker

[ New ]

running with head mounted GP9

through low light scenes

4K 25fps, fixed shutter 1/200 sec, iso max 6400

4K 25 fps, max shutter angle 45 (min 1/200 sec), iso max 6400

if low light can't be helped, I'm ok with the noise as long as its stable and not blurry.  

Nomad

[ New ]

@genec445 In the YT video I limited to 1/200 of a second ( 1/200 shutter speed of 50 fps would be a x4 factor so in shutter angle is equal to 360:4 = 90º limitation) But then I went otside a busy enviorment and it wasn't enough, so 1/400 should do the trick (45º), it's loosing a lot of light but in a full sunny day shutter speeds can go up to 1/4000 when looking directly to the sky so there's that.

I've seen many athletes that (before the "minimum shutter angle") directly mount a mini gymbal with their GoPros, and I think that is the key having the best stabilization of both worlds the digital (with its limitations in low light) and the mechanical ( no light needed only the bulk and more batteries).

Nomad

[ New ]

Also I suspect the bad performance of ISO is due to the fact that the best noise reduction I've seen so far that is the "temporal noise reduction" (it can be added in post with Davinci Resolve Studio) makes motion blur, my Sony camera have this incorporated by default when increasing high ISOs and when trying to stabilize it digitally (GoPro stabilization method) it makes a weird ISO shaky motion blur.

So GoPro may be using an archaic noise reduction for avoiding more motion blur.

Hiker

[ New ]

I don't think the stabilisation jerkiness and artefacts are from ISO.  The ISO noise is particularly bad when you look at it and see red/green/blue in it.  Noise (grain) by itself is not so bad but this colorful stuff is harder to repair.  I have used Neat for Video for years.  It is (in my opinion) far better than Resolve's NR, as it takes an actual sample and uses that to reduce noise while preserving detail.  

I think a lot of people that are OK with the problems of the Hero 9 are using it as it was intended:  As a consumer camera.  THe example clips I've seen that people were happy with illustrate that.  It's great on a phone, or small device.  Great on tiny viewers on FB or the like to share with friends who don't give a lick about quality .. they want content, excitement, sharing ... not pixel-peeping.

Right now I'm working on a clip that I shot that at first glance looks fine.  Up in the distant treetops one can see the shuddery/shaky problems from trying to shoot in pretty low light (day, but overcast, in a forest) without having to futz around with shutter angle, and limiting ISO to 400, which is as high as I can stomach, ever.  

It did OK as far as noise. The contrast is still way too high (this "flat" is not, at all, flat) ... had to turn it down to .8 in Resolve to establish a decent starting point for grading. The deal with this camera is that if the settings are spot on for the scene, then it looks fine.  Sometimes brilliant.  But the sweet spot for settings are very narrow, and this takes a bit of getting used to, and is frustrating to deal with, especially given the extremely crappy touch screen.  GoPro Labs helped with that big time!

For these actually very amazing technologies to function, some expectations and styles need to change.  I'm not as militant as some, but I do not like the high shutter speed look.  No, I don't demand the 2x the frame rate rule hard and fast, but exceed it too much and boy that looks bad.  Take a POV shot .. you are not supposed to see each rock or bit of asphalt in the foreground!  So I deal with it in certain cases by adding a mask and a linear blur in Resolve. (would work in any editor).  This makes the strobing jarring "look" diminish somewhat.  

But the high shutter speed makes smaller intervals in between which the onboard GoPro brain has to interpolate between frames, and this is, in a nutshell, the essence of electronic stabilisation.  I wonder how well Hypersmooth 3.0 would work with a small sensor?  Give it less data to crunch, and it might do lots better in low light at lower shutter speeds.  Then noise would be down as well, although the better detail would take a hit.  

Always tradeoffs.