Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

GoPro Hero 9 Video shaky and blurry footage

[ New ]

Why is my footage shaky and blurry while I'm walking. My video settings are Cinematic 4K/60/Linear + HL with Hypersmooth Boost.

Hiker

Re: GoPro Hero 9 Video shaky and blurry footage

[ New ]
Gopro use digital stabilization, in low light can not work well if the shutter speed is very low the imagen will be always blurry
Nomad

[ New ]
I’ve been testing this as well, I think the issue is with Hypersmooth High and Boost with Linear + Horizon Leveling in 24-30fps. Attached is a screenshot from 4K @ 24fps and the entire clip is a jittery blurry mess. I did shoot a lot yesterday with 4K and 2k @ 60fps with Hypersmooth “On” and didn’t have the issue. I also have my ISO Max at 1600 which is pretty high.
Nomad

[ New ]

35726719-B321-4879-B7F1-218EDE9B78A4.jpeg

Hiker

[ New ]

I only tested in 5k30p, 4k60p, 2.7k 120p, 1080 240p and it works, so could be, I will test 4k 24p and 30p (but I don't use it)

Tourist

[ New ]
Thank you for your input. Are you shooting with hypersmooth on but linear + hoziron one boost off?
Hiker

[ New ]

I made a fast test 4k24p lineal horizon level, interior and was fine... but I should do a more intensive test outdoor with low light as your shot. That blurry imagen only could happen in dark night, with some light I has always a good imagen in 4k60p lineal + horizon.

Hiker

[ New ]

I having the same issue, i did some test and it happends every time when im using hypersmooth and HL, doesnt matter what resolution, if you treat it gendle thats not happen and if you walk or move the camera quick up and down or to the sides yes that will be always there....now if you turn them complitly off, the camera is good, i belive that is a software issues, please any solution will be appreciated, thank you guys

Tourist

[ New ]

I shot it in 4K/60/L+H Hypersmooth On; Shutter-Auto;  with no problem;  Tried 5K/30 Hypersmooth On and it was still blurry. 

Hiker

[ New ]

i tried but still havin the same problem, but when i turn hypermooth and HL works just perfect 

@noblecave4026 wrote:

I shot it in 4K/60/L+H Hypersmooth On; Shutter-Auto;  with no problem;  Tried 5K/30 Hypersmooth On and it was still blurry. 

Hiker

[ New ]

@noblecave4026 wrote:

i found a solution but i will do some mor test this weekend, this are the setting im using please try it and let me know:

5K24fps

Hypersmooth (boost)

Lineas + HL

ISO 100-400

shutter at max 1/384

Tourist

[ New ]

Thank you. Will try your settings this weekend.

Nomad

[ New ]
I think the issue is with Hypersmooth High/Boost in 24fps/30fps but I never had this issue on the Hero 8.
Hiker

[ New ]

OK, nothing is wrong with your camera with the shay and blurry videos. What i did was one of my friends bought one from best buy and we compare and the cameras works the same, so we went back and exchange his camera and the same thing happened. Just for now try to find the best settings and wait until gopro put out another update because they need to keep adjusting the software, and camera is new with new features and i guees we have to wait. Just find out the best settings that work for you and enjoy...

This are the settings i found the best for me, thx u all...

1- For Outside:

Res: 5K24fps

Lens: Linear + HL

Hypersmooth: On (NOT BOOST)

Bit Rate: High

Shtter: Auto or 1/384

EV Comp: If the shutter is in Auto -1 otherwise is you ar using 1/384  wont let you change dthe EV

ISO: 100 - 400

2- Low Light or indoors:

Res: 4K24fps

Shtter: 1/96

EV Comp: N/A

3- Low Light  Or Indoors:

Res: 2.7KK60fps

Shtter: 1/120

Note: 2 and 3 is for the same purpose

4- Slo-Mo:

Res: 2.7KK120fps

Shtter: Auto or 1/148

Backpacker

[ New ]

hi,

when you limit the ISO to 400 you will force the camera to chose a slow shutter, this will produce blurred frames.

from my experience what influence the stabilization:

1. you need crisp, frozen like frames
    • the equivalent shutter to be 1/(X*fps) were X at least 8 (worst case) 
      • from my tests when shutter is below 1/1000 (exactly 1/960) camera starts to push ISO 
      • in shutter auto to have enough ISO the shutter not to drop below - test if you like 3200( I can live with...), if not limit to 1600 - use FLAT colors not to have so much saturation and contrast
      • manual shutter to 1/(X*fps) see above
        • downside icamera has only the ISO to adap with, so f you go in bright light frames could be overexposed
        • EV and exposure control are disabled 
      • EV -1 or -2
        • darker frames but shutter will be twice or four time faster (lower)
      • exposure control
        • in low light I tell camera to measure and adapt only to the square I chose
        • when I ride in the evening I chose the square in front of my bike, car, where the headlight spot is
        • can be used along with EV
  2. scenery
    • best when you have a wide-open scene, a horizon like
    • if in the woods, the passing by trees and the continuous changing horizon (only a narrow trail in the front) is not helping the software to "anchor" the image
    • in the night when street lights, these are "jumping" unless the shutter is fast
    • also in the night, even at headlamp light, not too much image details
  3. lens - a SuperView has narrow margins between the cropped image and the entire sensor
    • the narrow the FOV, the best hypersmooth
      • you lose details, will be image noise as you crop the sensor.
    • for 9, that has boost on all combination resolution/fps/lens, should not be an issue - still for heavy movements could count

just me,

robert

Tourist

[ New ]
My gopro9 videos look really bad too i uses hyper smooth and it shaky and blurry videos my gopro 8 look better why is this
Hiker

[ New ]
That is normal for now they will fix all that, they will update again this month
Tourist

[ New ]
How do you know i hope so because my gopro 8 make better videos
Hiker

[ New ]
Because i have the same issues and i had to make a few settings that work for me until next update and see what’s happens
Tourist

[ New ]
What u did?
Sightseer

[ New ]
https://youtu.be/nKnTazU3tzI

This being my first Gopro, I must say the micro blur from each step I took when walking in the forest was unusable.

Was trying to test out some cinematic settings but when I got home to review & edit, I was gutted.

This was taken with the GoPro mounted on a DJI OM4 gimbal to boot. I guess if I was recording something static or the camera was static then I'd have been fine.

I can't image how people got some of the stuff I've seen on YouTube.

I've posted a link to a short couple of moments that shows me walking down the path. All the settings are in the description. Best seen at 4K.

I really really hope this is improved via firmware updates. Still, it's good for other things I've tested out, mounted on car.
Hiker

[ New ]
This are the settings i found the best for me

1- For Outside:
EV Comp: If the shutter is in Auto -1 otherwise is you ar using 1/384 wont let you change the EV

2- Low Light or indoors:

3- Low Light Or Indoors:

4- Slo-Mo:

Anyway its a brand new camera with new things, they have to fix a lot of software issues, but they will get it right, and i try 3 cameras and all are the same

Let me know if those settings get you a better quality
Sightseer

[ New ]
Will give your 5K/24 a try on the weekend again, same forest & report back. Tempted to take my laptop but will see if it can play back H.265 first, it's alittle on the old side.
Hiker

[ New ]
just put the speed at max, if its dark go for 4k/60 and rise de speed up, and what i think is firth software issues and then camera cpu, but i dont know, wanna see the next update and then make some test
Tourist

[ New ]

I do exactly have the same issues as described. I hope GoPro will release an update soon.

Hiker

[ New ]
Look for my older post, those settings will help, i believe gopro will release an update this month
Tourist

[ New ]

Super shaky and blurry footage for me as well!

Really disappointed :( :( :( 

I had no issue with my GoPro Hero8.

GH080003.mp4_snapshot_00.05.375.jpg
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @spyrosa

Please stay tuned for the next update release.

https://gopro.com/en/dk/news/hero9-black-launch-updates

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Yes True, My gopro 9 is so shaky and blurry even when I am recording video in sunny weather, with ISO 100 and shutter 1-120 / 1-240.
this is so disappointing. Could new update resolve it ?

Hiker

[ New ]

Something is not normal, there are a lot of people with blurry footage with light even some examples where you see that it works perfectly and then suddenly it fails. My GoPro 9 runs perfectly, cero crashes and really good stabilization. yes, I have a lot of death pixels but no problem at all with firmware stability and stabilization. With GoPro 8 was a disaster. I think we have here a hardware problem not a firmware problem.

A big problem with manufacturing quality?

My suggestion is to return the camera if you have these problems.

Hiker

[ New ]

In my experience (and I have some, sadly) this kind of issue (camera not performing as advertized) is a loser's game if you wait for the nice kind friendly company to fix the problem that should never have been acceptable in the first place .. should have been fixed before product release.

In other words, I just got a Hero 9, updated immediately, adn then after a few tests I'm searching for "Why does my Hero 9 have jittery, blurry, shaky, unusable footage?" and I find this thread, which includes remarks from GoPro on November 9th saying "We'll fix it, wait until next firmware" ..

Well I have the next firmware over a month later and still it's unusable.

Returning.

Tourist

[ New ]

Did anyone see improvements after updating to 1.5? I'm on 1.5 and today I tried shooting indoors with the following settings in the morning with sufficient sunlight into the room (though cloudy day), and the footage has a lot of jittery shakes as I walk around: 4K 60 FPS, H+L, HS ON, Sharpness Medium, Shutter Auto, WB Auto, Bitrate High, ISO Max 800.

It had ruined our Christmas home video, what a crap!

Hiker

[ New ]
I think the big problem is, the camera has a biiiig issues with shutter speed, the processor is trash bcuz can’t handle the low shutter speed with 5k, 4k any k in low light plus hyper smooth + boost is garbage, now with perfect light situation works just fine, i jumped from 7 black to this junky pice of trash bs camera, I probably sell this one and buy the 8 black, that one is a beast, aaaand I know is expensive but other brands has 1 inch sensor, anyway is you check my older posts I post the best settings for me, try them and let me know
Hiker

[ New ]

@thecuban I am responding to this becasue I have just got the H9 and upgraded it judging the camera off of my immediate recollection of the H7 9which I have right here) and it looks really bad .. is this you are saying not fixable due to the sensor size/processor?  Seems just as bad in 4K as 5K, and if 5K is NFG then why bother with this cam at all?  I liked the H7, except the swimmy stabilization, looks fine, as long as one does NOT use h265 (HEVC) which is garbage codec as far as I'm concerned.  Gray skies, blotchy trees etc. are norm here in low light full day.  So if it is not good enough outside under gray skies, then Hero9=JUNK

Send the junk back or can they fix it?  WILL they fix it?  

What other settings you mention? Can you link?

Like deeptii, my results are quite the same, settings are similar, 4K/5K 30 FPS, H+L, HS ON, Sharpness Medium, Shutter Auto, WB Natural, Bitrate High, ISO Max 800.

Hiker

[ New ]

I have watched the bug and I don't have that problem at all, in any kind of conditions. Of course, if the light is very dim the image is not good but it is usable. I really think there is a problem with the hardware not the software, probably different kind of chips or one part of the camera not working properly.

To proof this theory we would need two cameras working together, one properly and the other with the fail. This is not easy to get. 

Tourist

[ New ]

@thecuban wrote:
I think the big problem is, the camera has a biiiig issues with shutter speed, the processor is trash bcuz can’t handle the low shutter speed with 5k, 4k any k in low light plus hyper smooth + boost is garbage, now with perfect light situation works just fine, i jumped from 7 black to this junky pice of trash bs camera, I probably sell this one and buy the 8 black, that one is a beast, aaaand I know is expensive but other brands has 1 inch sensor, anyway is you check my older posts I post the best settings for me, try them and let me know

Thanks for sharing your settings Hiker. I just gave them a try using 2.7K 60 FPS, L+H, HS ON, Bitrate High, Shutter 1/120, but with ISO 100-800. I just tested in my room with 1,000 lumens light. I tried walking or stepping on the same spot and I think there're some improvements as the jittery became much smaller. However, I could still notice very tiny jitteries.

After reading some posts, I turned HS completely off, and now the jittery is entirely based on my body movement but better than the sudden earthquake like jittery in the video with HS ON. I saw one advice being that HS should be completely turned off and one would use a motorized gimbal to accomodate the stablization. It looks like that may be a viable solution for such low light condition...

Nomad

[ New ]

Outside in reasonably reasonable lighting conditions, Hypersmooth and horizontal alignment work wonderfully!
I never use Boost, just "ON" and 4k with Linear + HL or 2k7 with MaxLensMode.
Otherwise I film without stabilization and then stabilize later with ReelSteeady.
Here I noticed that the problems mentioned occur especially when using the horizontal alignment with ReelSteady - the source film material is, however, generally sharp! Imho that indicates a software problem! Although, after the last updates from ReelSteady, things got a lot better. I suspect that this has now also found its way into the Hero 9 with FW 1.5. Because blurring because of the horizontal alignment has now not struck me.
See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrc2BpEXSk4&feature=youtu.be

Ein großes Danke an die Pistenbetreiber von Corona am Wechsel (Unternberg), die mir diesen Spaß ermöglicht haben!
Hiker

[ New ]

I'd like to point out a recollection of two instances.

My first ever GoPro, a Hero 3 Black, was a buggy pile of crap.  Popping out of record, failing to remain connected to the remote, corrupted files (regardless of SD card), and frequent, maddening lockups.  

They fixed it!

But they fixed it by "offering" the Hero 3+ Black, for sale, to people.  It was a hugely different camera.

GoPro did not offer replacement.  

On the other hand, the company Edelkrone, when replacing models of the earlier version of HeadOne and the Slider modules, REPLACED, with zero cost to the consumer, paid shipping both ways (except for when they just let you keep the old unit).

Edelkrone support is available 24/7 including Xmas day.  (I know this as I had an issue and was in contact (issue was resolved))

What is the difference?

In other words, I am kinda suspecting that if there are issues with Hero 9 (the fancy bits that make it worth upgrading to don't work, therefore might as well have purchased another Hero 7) then it is better to return the --bleep-- thing and wait for GoPro to fix the bugs (and come out with a Hero 9+ maybe??? Haha)

It's worth the wait for these cameras that are incredible when they work, but I do not trust the company.

Hiker

[ New ]

What im saying is gopro did not did a good jobwith this camera, H8 is way better than this one, now when the  day is good with lot of light camera works just perfec, use de settings u want but turn stabilization and HL off and will gork just fine

This are the settings i found the best for me

1- For Outside:
EV Comp: If the shutter is in Auto -1 otherwise is you ar using 1/384 wont let you change the EV

2- Low Light or indoors:

3- Low Light Or Indoors:

4- Slo-Mo:

Let me know if those settings get you a better quality

Tourist

[ New ]
I got mine couple month ago and it was bad too return it and got a new one and with new updates worka better them gopro 8 and i love go pro8 sold it to get the 9 first i was sad that didnt work but with new updates works great for me maybe your gopro is not good and need a new one if u have warranty tell them they will work with you
Hiker

[ New ]

No, not yet.  It's pretty bad.  The ONLY benefit I see so far form the Hero 9 is the linear mode, adn that is in question anyway, since the noise is really bad.  I can correct for distortion in Resolve without inducing more noise .. (duh) and the pixelization due to cropping in to a bad sensor is not really making me happy. 

The stabilization (the other main reason to get the Hero 9 ) only works in bright light.  Not all of us can see the sun always.  The effects of the stabilization are very aggressive, and it does not look smooth.

Furthermore, I LOATHE the low bitrate of h.265.  Go ahead, I dare you. Do what I did.  Shoot with Hero 7  and Hero 9.  in 4K.  Do identical shots.  Do something with no motion and high detail. Compare how h.265 (HEVC) makes detail shimmer and twitch.  Especially small detail like trees.  So ... 5K is useless, as far as I can tell.  I don't like seeing a frame by frame twitch.

Nomad

[ New ]

Hello @noblecave4026 and other unhappy users @thecuban @jtapia85 @genec445 etc, that effect it's called "motion blur" and is natural with the wrong configurations and gets very ugly with vibrations.

·Motion blur happens when the shutter speed isn't enough fast, GoPro automatic algorithms compute the light that is available in the scene with your settings configuration and decides to lower the shutter speed and the problem occurs.

·The solution is you to take manual control over the algorithm behavior and correct it with the right settings:

-1 Reducing the frames per second configuration prevents it; ex. lowering to 30, 25 or 24 helps when there's poor light.

-2 Don't put the stabilization in "Boost" mode, sometimes switches by mistake, without enough direct hard sunlight "Boost" makes motion blur worse than normal Hypersmooth 3.0

-3 Don't limit the Auto Shutter Speed, it's GoPro magic stabilization, Auto algorithm is probably the best for anything.

-4 Don't limit the max. ISO, good stabilization needs fast Shutter speed and needs to steal the light from high ISO when poor light.

-5 "Linear" view zooms and crops the image, so the motion blur becomes bigger and more visible, prevent it using SuperWide view that uses the maximum size of the sensor and therefore all the noisy and jerky artifacts looks smaller and more natural and usable.

-6 Turn sharpness to minimum or 0, artificial sharpness makes more visible all the optical defects including motion blur micro jitters, it's kinda optional but look for sharpness levels in any movie, in professional workflows sharpness is avoided and later fine tuned in the video editors.

-7 I'd say also avoid contrast color, select flat color, contrast will make more visible any optical defect, that's why in pro workflows also use flat color and later edit in video editor.

I think I don't miss anything, hope it helps.

Tourist

[ New ]
Mine work perfect now with the new update i used boost and work amazing. And video looks great
Tourist

[ New ]
Hello.Had the same issue but your answer is very interesting .I had manual settings for cinematic look but those don't apply in the situation I used the hero 9(trail running).Looking forward to set everything as you mentioned and auto most of the settings!!Happy new year and go to hell 2020!!!
Hiker

[ New ]

Hi you're being helpful, I know.  It's not "motion blur".  I've enough cameras and experience to know what I'm doing. 

I'm using all the settings you specify.  Locked shutter speed (2x the frame rate minimum) Protune, flat, sharpness all the way down, no boost, etc.

It's a crap camera.  The Hero7 looks better.  Sorry guys.  Face it.  It looks fine on a phone or the camera's LCD.  But if one puts it on a real monitor, scaled, or full-rez, it looks like garbage.  Even transcoded, so it's not a playback frame rate issue either.

Yes, if one turns "Linear" off, then what are you left with?  Basically a Hero 7.  Don't give me guff about 5K.  It's BS 5K, squashed to all hell by crap compression.

Nomad

[ New ]

I understand you, in fact I was going for SteadXP for my Sony APS-C unstabilized -look it up it's amazing- and for the pandemic reasons I decanted for GoPro and honestly I knew from the start what I was getting into, and I'm happy, not disappointed. GoPro right now it's become very good in its own thing. No one is adverstising for what you expected, this happened with my first digital pro camera too, look it up, the camera that borders all terrain usage perfection for me is the a7SIII costing 4000!! 10 time more money than GoPro9, of course they can give more, GOPRO GIVE US RAW VIDEO UPDATE NOW!!! I'LL PAY GOOD FOR IT!!! 

Good new year.

Nomad

[ New ]

Hello again @noblecave4026 @genec445 @batman41 @jtapia85 @thecuban @superbigtwig @supercurro @robert1326 @alistairl644 @michaelc37254 and company, I apologise for my previous comments because my recent tests revealed that indeed Gopro 9 have a noise/vibrations problem that Gopro could easily solve it with an update. Surprised to see how many previous Gopro users and also new users complain about the same issue in image quality: noise or vibrations/shaky footage.

In default settings the stabilization pulls the ISO and the quality is almost unusable, when people limit the ISO to 100 for good quality then appears the vibrations and shaky footage because the shutter speeds goes below 1/200 of a second (that's the minimum for good stabilization in like walking activities).

The solution: A shutter speed minimum setting.

Gopro could easily implement in a firmware update a minimum shutter speed setting to have good quality, maintaining always the auto shutter speed above 1/200 second with a maximum setting of ISO 100 allows Gopro to record noise-free perfect stabilized footage.

Now this could be done manually, but defeats all purpose of having a sports camera that works automatically and besides Gopro can't be operated to change settings while recording.

Please let me know what you think about limiting the auto shutter speed and continue posting and complaining about this quality issues so Gopro takes note in further updates (current update is 1.5 when writing this).

This are some recent tests in manual settings to achieve good quality:

Vibrations and noise test settings: https://youtu.be/1-fdtWaj2OA

Stabilization test settings: https://youtu.be/spRYJuPJPTM

Low light noise test settings: https://youtu.be/3_FHwweb5Rk

This problem was solved by GoPro Labs Firmware, download GoPro Labs in the official web page, see a brief GoPro Labs demonstration of the solution: https://y...
Hiker

[ New ]

Shot recently with Hero 7 and Hero 9.  I mostly was using the Hero 7, but had some shots earlier in the day with the Hero 9.

Clearly noticed the difference between H7 and H9 in low light.  The H9 just sucks if using Linear+HL in low light.  But in bright light it's fine.

In fact it almost seemed to me that the color science is better (the looks don't match if you are using Native WB/Flat, sharpness, minumum, same everything else).  But it did seem like it came out looking better, at least in the brighter scenes.

So hopefully the new firmwre update will improve the stabilization in low light.

I have yet to do an aggressive test (I was hoping to put this on an airplane wing, in daylight, in Linear+HL with boost but that won't happen any time soon, so I'll try it on my car on a rough road in bright day.)

My end date to return the camera is January 31.  They basically have 2 weeks to fix this or I return it and wait for something better, as I don't need it and I tend to prefer the H7.  

Nomad

[ New ]

Yo! the vibration blur versus noise problem have been pretty much solved with GoPro Labs update, look this Gopro Labs discussion about the it: https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Labs/Labs-Feature-Request-Minimum-shutter-speed-or-minimum-shut...

I've made little explanatory test iplementing the GoPro Lab system solution: https://youtu.be/xC8KJdHjUNg

It's like a plugin for the camera, manual installation.

Explanatory test of the Maximum Shutter Angle: https://gopro.github.io/labs/control/maxshut/Feel like GoPro Labs should be getting more visibility, It's unlo...
Hiker

[ New ]

I checked into the GoPro Labs thing, which is pretty freaking cool .. thanks.  However, did some tests today in 4K and 5K, linear+horizon leveling, boost on and off, flat color, sharpening minimum, ISO 100-200, Shutter angle locked at mox 45 and max 90 (tested both) using the bite mount while riding a bike on my long driveway in overcast but bright forest.

It still cools crap and is very very noisy.

I see no improvement, sadly .. I did have my hopes up and today was the first day I could really test.

I think this is a huge FAIL on GoPro's part.