Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro Hero 9 Update Error

[ New ]

I just purchased a Hero 9 and when I got home I tried to update it to the latest firmware. When I update through the iOS App I get an error saying that the update failed, then my GoPro gets stuck on a screen that says "Downloading Update" but it never goes away. I have manually turn it off and turn it back on. If you guys have any suggestions or advice please let me know. 

Accepted Solutions
Tourist

Re: GoPro Hero 9 Update Error

[ New ]
I also had problems updating with Android. It continuously gave me errors the device couldnt be found, while I initiated the update while being connected. Switching Wi-Fi to 2.4ghz in the GoPro settings made it work for me. I remember having to do this with GoPro 7 too, it seems to give me more stable connections.

View solution in original post

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for sharing what worked for you, @foggyrange82625. Glad to know that you were able to update your camera. 

@greenstorm13451 and @evanwolf, see if changing the Wi-Fi band on the camera will help with completing the update process via GoPro App. If not, we recommend that a manual update be done. The steps under Manual Update here will guide you.

After the update, your camera should connect with the app as normal. Let us know how it goes. Thanks!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Sightseer

[ New ]
Same issue here, have tried repeatedly.
Tourist

[ New ]

I am going to try reformatting my micro SD card. I will let you know how that goes. Stand by.

Tourist

[ New ]

Okay reformatting my SD card did NOT work. 

Tourist

[ New ]
I also had problems updating with Android. It continuously gave me errors the device couldnt be found, while I initiated the update while being connected. Switching Wi-Fi to 2.4ghz in the GoPro settings made it work for me. I remember having to do this with GoPro 7 too, it seems to give me more stable connections.
GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for sharing what worked for you, @foggyrange82625. Glad to know that you were able to update your camera. 

@greenstorm13451 and @evanwolf, see if changing the Wi-Fi band on the camera will help with completing the update process via GoPro App. If not, we recommend that a manual update be done. The steps under Manual Update here will guide you.

After the update, your camera should connect with the app as normal. Let us know how it goes. Thanks!

Sightseer

[ New ]

You are a savior mate! Thanks

Tourist

[ New ]

I also had problems with the down load of the new Hero 9 update firmware until I swithed the WiFi connection spead to 2.4ghz in the GoPro settings Connections WiFi band 2.4 instead of 5 ghz. Once I set it to 2.4ghz the download and install of 01.21 completed sucessfully.

Hiker

[ New ]

I'm having the same problem. Battery on GoPro Hero 9 is charged, and so is my phone. It won't update to newest firmware through phone or desktop. It downloads the update, but then goes back to "0" after it reaches 100% and I can't click "continue", because it's grayed out. I'm using an iPhone XR with IOS 14.0 installed. I've tried to pair and re-pair the camera, turned the app off and on again, tried turning the phone off and back on again, none of that worked.

On PC (Windows 10) using GoPro Quik via USB, it says the camera doesn't need an update because it is already up to date, but when I look to see what firmware is installed on the Hero 9, it says "1.0" instead of the 1.21. So frustrating! 

I then tried to update manually by following the link on GoPro's website, but it leads me nowhere. It opens up a page and gives me an error that says: statusCode 400, error "Bad Request", message "Invalid cookie value".

Hiker

[ New ]

Holy cow,... I actually found a way to do it manually.

Download the zip file, extract the files, locate the unzipped folder and make sure it's titled "UPDATE". Right-click on the folder and select "copy". Take the mini SD card out of your GoPro Hero9, insert it into your computer via mini card reader, open it up and paste the "UPDATE" folder to the mini SD card. When it's done copying the folder, take the mini SD out of your computer, put it in your GoPro Hero 9 and power it up. It will automatically detect the update and will restart a couple of times before it's done. This worked for me. Good luck.

Tourist

[ New ]

@soaringsprite I know i'm a bit late, but I had that exact same error message when trying to go to the update link, about "status code400....". I fixed it by clearing cookies in Chrome.

Hiker

[ New ]

Looks like the link I posted in my above reply was removed (probably automatically), but your suggestion to clear cookies is one way. You could also right-click their link and open in a private browser. That also worked for me.

Hiker

[ New ]

How long did the update take you guys?

GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

An update should only take a couple of minutes to install.

Hiker

[ New ]

Make sure you are connected to a 2.4 Ghz network, NOT 5Ghz.  I started on the 5G wireless network b/c like all of us, wanted max speed.  Not until I put it on the 2.4G did the update work.  It is a flaky install no doubt, but try it, let us know if it works for you, it did for me.

Sightseer

[ New ]
Thanks foggyrange82625! doing this helped me out, you are a life saver!
Sightseer

[ New ]

Mine was doing something similar.

After I sent the firmaware to the camera (Hero 9 Black) via the phone (Galaxy Note 9), the "Loading" image on the camera stopped spinning and looked to be stuck.  I removed the battery and placed it back in and turned the camera back on.  It showed the firmaware install icon and rebooted twice and the firmware was installed. 

Tourist

[ New ]

I'm going to try the 2.4Ghz wifi trick, but I still wanted to reply because I attempted the manual process when I couldn't get it to work via the Android app, and that is stuck for me too. When I go to input my camera info (the registration screen) and click "Next Step" presumably to download the update file, the "Next Step" button greys out so I can't click it again but nothing happens, the browser doesn't even process anything, no "busy signal" mouse icon or browser "thinking," just stays there. I left it overnight and it was still on that screen and didn't do anything

GoPro

[ New ]

@trailwarrior666, if the Over the Air (OTA) update fails to install, this may be due to either a wireless connectivity issue or the mobile device itself. Try to unpair the camera with your mobile device and pair the two devices again, then attempt to install the update one more time. You can also try using a different device.

If you continue to get the same problem with the wireless update, using an SD card adapter, connect your microSD card to your computer and follow the Manual Update instructions specified in this article: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/How-to-Update-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394229

Tourist

[ New ]

I had to do repeated manual updates on my Her08 Black then it finally took. Got this answer to connection issue... When you updated your camera, you updated it to be compatible with the GoPro Webcam app. To do this it changed your camera's connection mode from "MTP" (media transfer protocol) to "GoPro connect". So simply open the connections menu on your camera and change the USB mode back to MTP.

I hope this helps.

Tourist

[ New ]

The manual steps never worked for me, but someone mentioned switching the mode between MTP and GoPro connect which could have been the issue, unfortunately I do not have an SD card reader on my computer (going to buy one soon). However, the 2.4Ghz switch DID work, so confirmed that is the fix! Great job troubleshooting, very appreciative this forum is active so that I know what things to look out for with this new guy.

GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks for posting back with an update, @trailwarrior666. Let us know if anything else comes up.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Thanks. This solution worked for me on my new GoPro Hero 9 Black.

Sightseer

[ New ]
I was trying to do an update, but it was of no use, and when I switched Hertz to 2.4, the update succeeded
Sightseer

[ New ]
I had the same problem, I found I couldn’t do the firmware update with my iPhone 8, I’m guessing because it’s too old, I tried several times and changed the WiFi Chanel, the only way I could do it was to use my wife’s newer iPad then it worked first time no problem, guess I might have to upgrade my phone 🤷‍♂️
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @spiryjump27110

You may also try a manual update.

See https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero9-black

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

I just received my GoPro Hero 9 and needed to update the firmware. Unfortunately, I am using a mac and I do not own a memory card adaptor. Using my iPhone to update the firmware has been dragging me to the grave since I am OCD !!!! I revised the WiFi band to 2.4 GH and still showing an error message Download Failure - The new camera firmware could not be downloaded. Please try again later, What year?

Please help me sleep!!!

GoPro

[ New ]

@mikhailgil, have you been able to unpair the camera with your mobile device and pair the two devices again, then attempt to install the update one more time?

If you continue to get the same problem with the wireless update, you may use a USB SD card reader, connect your microSD card to your computer and follow the Manual Update instructions specified in this article:https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/How-to-Update-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394229 

Tourist

[ New ]

Switching to 2.4GHz WiFi did not fix it for me either.

I had to go to the Hero 9 Connection settings and get the WiFi AP & Password from the Camera info sub page, and then let my phone connect to that WiFi AP manually, instead of to my home WiFi.

Once I had my phone connect to the Hero 9 WiFi manually, the in App preview also started working and I was able to update the Hero 9 via the app.

Hiker

[ New ]

the  update killed  my camera. Gopro is  damage control

Hiker

[ New ]

the  update killed  my camera. Gopro is  damage control !!!!!!!

Hiker

[ New ]

Gopro is  damage control the  update killed  my camera. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Gopro is  damage control

Hiker

[ New ]

Gopro is  damage control   camera is dead

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @weldont7372

Sorry for any trouble caused.

If you haven't yet, please run a manual update. https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero9-black

If it's still the same, the best path forward is to reach out to Support.

Please submit a request for a callback or initiate a chat session through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

I was having this issue as well. I do not have access to a pc with an SD card reader, nor can I manually switch the bands on my wifi network. However! I did realize that there may be a conflict with my proxy settings. I use the NextDNS app on my Google Pixel 4 to prevent unwanted ads and malware. As soon as I turned this off, the phone synced with my GoPro Hero 9 and began updating immediately. Just another thing to consider for anyone else having issues connecting the phone and camera or updating. Hope this helps!

Hiker

[ New ]

Manual update does not work because the  automatic update  screwed  my camera and  there no back screen or WIFI access.

Customer support = 0  No call back came  through. Waiting to see if  get a refund  through credit card. 

Hiker

[ New ]

no camera  is @#$%^&*(

Hiker

[ New ]

Tryed the  manual update.  screen lock for  hours

LOCKED SCREEN.JPG
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @weldont7372. If the manual update is still not working, please let our Support team know. They will be able to walk you through the next steps. 

To connect with them, visit https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Once there, select "Contact Us" and proceed with either chat or a callback request. 

Should you encounter any issue scheduling a callback or a live chat, please ensure that you are not blocking cookies and have your pop-up blocker disabled. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Relax, bro! Spamming this thread isn't helping your cause. I totally understand your frustration. Just keep trying to contact support. They are probably overwhelmed with calls due to the recent holidays and lots of people getting cameras as gifts. You'll eventually get through to someone. You may just have a bad device that can simply be replaced or refunded, if that's what you truly want. The camera really is one of the best out there. So, I hope this experience doesnt ruin it for you. Good luck!