Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro Hero 9 Touchscreen is not responsive

[ New ]
I just received Hero 9 today and after initial setup and update I tried to setup different presets but the touchscreen is not responsive.
I have to press really hard to click on anything.
Is there a setting for touch sensitivity or is this a defect?
GoPro Community Manager

Re: GoPro Hero 9 Touchscreen is not responsive

[ New ]

There is not a setting to adjust sensitivity. We have passed along this feedback to our teams. Thanks.

GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

There is not a setting to adjust sensitivity. We have passed along this feedback to our teams. Thanks.

Tourist

[ New ]

Just got my Hero9 yesterday.  Haven't gotten outside to do any shooting yet, but been piddling with it indoors.  This is my first GoPro, so I have nothing to compare it to.  Out of the box, I'm pretty content with the screen sensitivity/responsiveness.  My personal preference is that touches be deliberate.  I've had some touchscreen devices that were too sensitive and would frequently do things by accident.  

Maybe mine is not acting the same as others', but I am happy with the touchscreen interface/responsiveness.

Only real gripe so far is the beep is still too loud when set to low.

Hiker

[ New ]

I put screen protector on my GP9 then not good responsibility. so I did peel it off.  but still not good response as before. I did factory reset my GP9. then seems better.  

Sightseer

[ New ]

My Hero9 touch screen is also very difficult to use. At times it's non responsive or very slow to respond. I wonder if is a hardware malfuntion or if it can be corrected with an upgrade. As it is I'm using version 01.21.00. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Mine is interesting. The touch screen is way more responsive when it is not mounted to anything. Hand holding it works pretty decent. When I have it mounted on something, the touchscreen just stops working almost. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

Thanks for posting. I follow your advice and it works. When Hero 9 is not mounted touch screen works. Weird!

Hiker

[ New ]
Thanks for posting it for others to learn from .
What I don’t understand is how companies continue to release products without sufficient testing and providing accessories at time of release .
Imagine buying a car and it failing after the first week .
It usually occurs when they rush to bring out a new version before the completion .
Hiker

[ New ]

I have same issue like this.

Mounted and Unmounted differencesof the GoPro Hero 9 touch screen.
GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

Thanks for the feedback everyone. We are working on a fix for the screen sensitivity. You can read about that and some other things we're working on here.

Nomad

[ New ]

Jeff that a bit light on all the problems posted here.

be nice to get some timescales as well

Tourist

[ New ]

Would've been great to work out all this prior to release, versus making all of us paying beta testers.  This product was released premature...it's a 90% product.  Hero8 screen works perfectly fine...this 9 freezes and needs rebooted, the webcam stuff is all in beta, the touchscreen doesn't work and the temperature this thing operates at is worrisome to say the least.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Driving me crazy. Cannot cosnsitently make menu items engage or page changes happen. It is not a good thing. Any suggestions would be great. Just moving around menus has me really frustrated. Cannot tell if it is pressure sensitive or my finger is too large.

Hiker

[ New ]

My Hero9 touchscreen is not as responsive as my Hero8 touchscreen. At the end of a bicycle ride in cool weather last week, it was worse -- impossible to get the screen to respond to any touch, and very little in the way of a swipe. So I gave up on changing any options. Since then I've turned screenlock off, as there was no way to get past it that time. On my outings since then it has been better (and the weather has been warmer) but it is not as responsive as my Hero8 (which has a somewhat shattered screen).  I am able to change options, though. It will be interesting to see what happens when the weather turns cold again. 

Tourist

[ New ]

I'm having the same issue. Compared to the GoPro8 this 9 is not good at all.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Used my gopro hero 9 for the first time yesterday. Touchsceen was very uncooperative. Hope this is fixed soon

Sightseer

[ New ]

I sold gopro 7 black to buy gopro 9, i have the same situation as you guys, the screen press is not as sensitive as gopro 7!

Tourist

[ New ]

The touchscreen is terrible!! It is not responsive when attached to a mount. I put in on a hand held mount and I couldn't get the screen to change to anything other than what was shown.  I used the app on my phone and I was able to get it to move that way.  I did notice something else though.  When on the mount, it didn't work properly but when I backed off the thumbscrew, the screen became responsive again.  Just to make sure, I tried it several times with the same result.  I traded in my Hero Black 8 for the Hero 9 and I think that I made a big mistake.  GoPro, you had better come up with a fix soon, instead of saying our team is working on it.  I'm close to calling you and sending it back to you for a refund!

Tourist

[ New ]

yeah good luck, Gopro wont even respond to an email. Pathetic, I have four different Gopros sitting in the Gopro bag with all the gopro equipement and they cant even respond to a email. Im ready to burn every piece of Gopro product and upload it to every social media outlet.

Nomad

[ New ]

https://gopro.com/en/us/news/hero9-black-launch-updates

Hold on, just a few days until the firmware upgrade....

Tourist

[ New ]

I installed the update, dated 10/20/20, and the screen is more responsive to touch.  However, it still does not respond when the GoPro is mounted and the thumbscrew tightened!!  If I unscrew the thumbscrew a bit, it will become responsive again, but when it is tightened up, it does not work.  As before, I tried this several times with the same result.  GoPro you will be getting a call sometime tomorrow to see what a resolution could be made.

Hiker

[ New ]

I installed the update, too. It seemed to make a difference when I use the device in my office, but I'm not sure there was much improvement, if any, when it was outside in cold weather (again in the high 40sF). (It was in its mount, then, too.)  I'll be doing some more tests under those conditions, and I'll be sure to test it both in and out of its mount. 

(I really like the hindsight feature and hate to give it up by giving up on this GoPro version. I also have a Hero 8.)

Tourist

[ New ]
Agreed. I feel like it is more responsive on initial impressions, until you get it in a mount. I'm almost of the inclination that the problem is a physical problem and not a firmware one.
Tourist

[ New ]

I installed the update yesterday and  did a factory reset to set it back with all the default settings. I checked the firmware to make sure it was the new one after the update. While I will agree that the responsiveness is better while out of the mount, It is still really unreliable when mounted in a case or on a sticky mount. I am not expecting perfection, but many of the rounded touch buttons wont even register when I try to change settings when mounted. I had high hopes, but this makes me very skeptic of investing in this company in the future. I have written their support with no response (1 month ago) and now their "fix" is not inline with being functional. Sorry guys, but this is the way you turn customers off of a product completely. 

Tourist

[ New ]

I agree with geerhed with his speculation that this may be a physical problem vs. a firmware update.  After I did yesterday's firmware update, yes, the screen responsiveness was much better, but it still did not allow the screen to be responsive when mounted.  However, as previously stated, if I untighten the thumbscrew, it would work fine.  So here I had a flopping GoPro, mounted, but I could change settings on the screen.  Tightening up the thumbscrew and lo and behold, it would not work.  Exasperated, at this point, I was ready to forget it and make do with what it was.  Before I was ready to give up, I happened to touch my fingers to the camera and the mount simultaneously, and screen responsiveness worked fine again.  I held it with my middle finger and thumb while using my forefinger to touch the screen.  This action leads me to believe that it is a physical problem, as geerhed suggested.

Hiker

[ New ]

Only had my Hero 9 for 2 days, but even with 1.22, find some of the smaller buttons, + for example, almost impossible to select.

I dread to think what this was like on older firmware if 1.22 is supposedly better.

What with this issues, and WiFi that is almost impossible to connect to for preview etc., I'm finding the Hero 9 a bit of a disaster after my rock solid Hero 6.

GoPro

[ New ]

@irishdad46, @spokesrider, @geerhed, we appreciate the feedback. We'll look into the details you've shared.

GoPro

[ New ]

@rodc, we also have recently released an update for the GoPro App that includes a bug fix top keep the pairing process on point. Let us know how it goes. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]

I originally thought it was related to the two fold out prongs on the bottom of my GOPRO when in a mount, but it is also happening in the waterproof housing when its cinched down using the thumb screw attachment. It has its own built in prongs.  All are GOPRO accessories. Thanks for looking into it. 

Tourist

[ New ]

I got in touch with GoPro today and explained the difficulties I experienced with the mount and the non-screen response.  The Customer Service Rep indicated that they are aware of some issues and offered to send the camera back to them.  It went back today, and they told me that since it is under warranty, they will be sending me a "functional" Hero9 back to me.  Unfortunately, I am without a camera for about two weeks, but I just couldn't be bothered any longer with the aggravation.  Hopefully, they'll diagnose the problem and correct it during their manufacturing process.  They emailed me a UPS label, which I printed out, and an RMA authorization to attach to the camera.  I boxed it up and took it directly to a UPS store to have it shipped back. It was easy to do, albeit a bit of a pain, but if I'm shelling out that much money, I want the product to work correctly.

Tourist

[ New ]

I'm having exactly the same issue with the latest firmware. If the camera is mounted on something then the touchscreen doesn't work unless I use my other hand to touch the side of the camera.

Tourist

[ New ]
I would not bother with it because it's not going to get any better. Just contact GoPro support and tell them about the issues that you are having. Evidently, it is a known issue, so returning it for a replacement under warranty will not be a problem. As a few other people said, it's not a firmware issue but something else within the camera itself! Good luck!!
Tourist

[ New ]
The problem at the moment though is that if it's a known issue and not fixable in firmware, unless they have changed something in manufacturing any replacement you get will have exactly the same issue and you will just end up sending it back again. I'll be interested to see if the replacement they send you fixes it. Please do come back and tell us
Tourist

[ New ]

I'm curious to see what the replacement will be like, too bobmoss!  I've read your post, and you understand what I'm referring to when I say if you touch the camera body, the responsiveness comes back to the screen.  I thought other people would read my situation and descriptions and question if I knew what I was talking about.  GoPro indicated that they are aware of the problem and would be sending me out a fully "functional" camera, whatever that means.  It remains to be seen, but I will post the status once the camera comes back to me.  If it still does the same thing, I'll learn to live with it.

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks for the updates. I returned my camera for a full refund. I will buy another after the first of the year. I'm assuming by then, they will have fixed the hardware issue. For some people it does not matter, which is fine. Please keep us updated as to the status of this problem. Otherwise, excellent camera.

Tourist

[ New ]

Just got my replacement Hero Black 9 back today after a total of 3 1/2 weeks.  Between the shipping back and forth between California and North Carolina and GoPro's ineptitude and protocols, I finally got the camera back.  Lo and behold, this replacement does the same thing as the one I sent back.  As stated previously, I'm just going to learn to live with the non-responsiveness of the touch screen when it is mounted to any accessory.  It seems to work well when I touch both the screen and the camera body at the same time.  When I do not, the touch screen is non-responsive.

Dealing with a RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) is an exercise in futility.  I complained several times because they had the camera back and seemingly were not doing anything to process a replacement.  I finally was promised that it would be "expedited" and shipped back to me via UPS 2 day but that didn't happen.  The whole process was frustrating and annoying.  Customer Service gives all the stock answers and "lip service" just to appease you at the time.  GoPro you may have decent products but the competition is catching up.  If you want to stay competitive, revamp your Customer Service procedures and pay more attention to your customers and some of the issues that they are confronted with. 

Nomad

[ New ]

Claim on your credit card for refund

Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks for the suggestion. The camera is responsive when I put one finger on the touch screen and the other on the right side of the body. I actually tried it by touching the left side of the body too and the screen is not responsive. It works fine otherwise so I'm just going to keep it instead of going through the hassle of sending it back. Besides I've already bought extra batteries for the Hero 9 and some other accessories specific to the camera.
Tourist

[ New ]

@irishdad46: I am seeing the exact same behavior. (Running firmware version 01.22 manully updated.) Still debating if I am requesting a refund or replacement.

Hiker

[ New ]

Sorry everyone is still having issues. I've come to the final conclusion the issue is hardware and I'm not sure if there will be a fix until the next edition, or a revised edition is released with an improved screen. If it's a processor issue, I doubt a fix can be made w/o re-designign the entire camera into a larger frame that can handle heat distribution and a larger battery. As I noted beofre, I belive technology has reached the limit as to how much you can stuff into a small frame. Even my drone (another brand) has processor crashes in the Arizona heat and shuts down.I returned my GoPro camera within the 30 day limit for a refund and had no problems with GoPro customer service.

I will still use GoPro products in the future and hope they are able to fix this issue before storm chase season next year.