Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: GoPro Hero 9 Scheduled Capture Issues

[ New ]

Updated the firmware. Scheduled Capture not workingin my Gopro9, tested now many times. Only drains the battery. 

Tourist

[ New ]

I tried it last night and it did work after I installed the Oct. 20 firmware update.  Yay!!!  Also the touchscreen is much more responsive.

I hope it isn't a fluke as I see some people in the comments are saying it didn't work for them.  Also there was no mention of it in the release notes for the update.  I'll try again tonight.

Hiker

[ New ]

What configuration did you use? I used NightLapse auto 15 sec exposure set for shoot at 3AM (did this process at 12AM) and did not fire. 1.22 FW.

Hiker

[ New ]

10/21/2020

Schedualed Test Time Lapse Capture Video

Start 6:30am PCT

10 Second Intervel

No Time Limit to turn off

Result: Camera Turned on and did not record any media to SD card. Battery went from 86% to 39%.

Conculsion: POS firmware update 1.22 did not address the issue, was not listed in the release notes as well. The last release was 1 month and 4 days. So I guess in another Month and 4 days see an update.

I guess they dont want sell a lot of these for Christmas as they dont work right.

No comments from any GOPro Reps wether issue is still being addressed or was addressed and did not work. Its like a Biden Hunter cover up, just dont talk about it.

Hiker

[ New ]

so dumb!!!!!

i did notice that @GoPro stopped mentioning this feature in all press...good thing that's the only reason i purchased it (and also good thing i kept my 8 where this feature STILL wolrs perfectly in labs.... so it really cannot be that hard for them to fix right? ) 

Tourist

[ New ]

I did a video timelapse of .05 fps.  I set the timer at 9:00pm the night before to go off at 6:30am for two hours to capture the sunrise.  It worked fine and actually before the firmware update it never worked.  I tried four seperate times.  It would only work if I set it for 1-2 hours ahead but never overnight.  I was happy about it working but also suprised since it wasn't mentioned as a fix in the release notes.  How hard could it be to get a timer to work on this thing?  I was suprised it didn't work right out of the box.  Same thing with the touchscreen.  There has been a big improvement with the touchscreen after the update.  Why was it released like that though?  It's not like it's new technology and they needed to perfect it.  It is hardly any different than the Hero 8 which has been out over a year.

Tourist

[ New ]
Mine still not working, camera turned on but, once again still dosent record.
Just about sick if trying to get it to work.
Nomad

[ New ]

Same as other's for me, the update is great for the touch screen and the crazy sharpening but nothing has changed as far as the scheduled capture. Tested it with a 6am capture for 2 hours set at a bit after midnight and no capture but battery loss. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Tested again. I mentioned before, the new firmware installed. Set the time in the evening to next morning 5 am. 4K 30P video, no time limit. Nothing captured, battery drained from 100% to 45 %. I think nothing has done for this issue in firmware update.

Tourist

[ New ]

Finally the scheduled capture worked! Set it up at about 3pm (UK) for a 10pm scheduled NightLapse Photo capture. Latest firmware update and set up was done through an iPhone 7. Settings were 30s Interval, No limit duration, 3s timer. The battery was drained by this morning at 9am but had captured 389 images.

Still not convinced that it will work consistantly so am trying again tonight with nightlapse video.

Love the camera but this is poor from GoPro, selling a product with an advertised function that simply doesn't (hasn't) worked. Perhaps the latest firmware is the solution but it doesn't seem to work for many.

Hiker

[ New ]

Still No GoPro Rep on this issue.

I have heard that the next update is in November, but that update was addressing the 3rd party external mic issue. Not sure id Schedualed Capture will be in that update in November. Will see.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone!

This has been shared with the team.

We'll post back once new information is available.

Thanks!

Hiker

[ New ]

I put two H9s outside, both set up for a 6:30AM timelapse, one had the clock saying it was 10:00 but scheduled to shoot at 16:30, other had time synced clock. Both of them woke up, then did nothing. just stayed there powered on.

Nomad

[ New ]

Yet again a demonstation from GopPro that it is incapable of releasing a product fit for market.  This is Beta at best.

My Hero6 was rock solid in all aspects, with a very good GPS fix and features.

This Hero9 appears to be so full of bugs that using it is a very unpleasant experiance.  

If only there was a reasonable eway of contacting support, other than the joke chat feature.

Tourist

[ New ]
Following
Tourist

[ New ]

Scheduled capture video did not work on test... it did the usual... drained the battery and took no footage!

After one succesful schelduled photo the other day i had high hopes but product still not working as advertised or sold.

Tourist

[ New ]

I said earlier that it seemed to be working but it didn't today. I had been setting it just an hour or two in advance and it's worked every time I've tried it. Today I set it for about 5 hours and it didn't work.

Back to being disappointed with the product.

Tourist

[ New ]

Really disappoint. My GoPro 9 also has an audio issue (with pops) which makes this camera unusable for Vlogger. I hope it is also a software problem, and it would be solved very soon.

Nomad

[ New ]

i tried yet another scheduled capture after waiting a few days to do the 1.22 update. no joy

set it all up at 7pm with a fresh 100% battery to wake up at 5.30 for a timelapse sunrise for 2 hrs. As I aproached the camera at 7am I find it wasn't on and nothing was recorded - battery at 42%.

how are these features being released with little to no testing? GoPro's QC and testing team need a stern talking to 

There are so many holes in this ship i fear it can't be saved from sinking. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Same here :/ not working. Firmware 1.22 :(

Tourist

[ New ]

Had an epically red sunset today. Torrential rain, rainbows, sunshine, it had everything.

Of course, it didn't record. The timer was still showing the start time, in spite of it having already gone by (24h clock). Maybe I should just leave it tomorrow and see if it starts the following day.

At least it's not eating the battery now while it's busy doing nothing.

Hiker

[ New ]

Still not working GoPro.   I even restored to factory setting.  Evening set for time lapse sunrise.  GoPro in the am was warm but nothing recorded.  @GoPro are you working on this?   See my YouTube review. https://youtu.be/rMVr3efAU54

As of this date, 10/15/20 one of my favorite features of the GPH9 was going to be scheduled capture. As I started making this review I discovered that it do...
Hiker

[ New ]

Hallo,

gibt es schon eine Lösung für das Problem?

Bei mir funktioniert mit der aktuellen Firmware 1.22 die geplante Aufnahme nicht.

MfG

Sightseer

[ New ]

Any news from GoPro on solving this problem? 

Nomad

[ New ]

apparently the next FW release

Hiker

[ New ]

Yes, it's now mentioned in the blog post: https://gopro.com/en/us/news/hero9-black-launch-updates

Hiker

[ New ]

Ha! 'Improve start/stop time precision' is a funny way to say they're going to actually make it work ;) (I hope!)

good find!!!

Nomad

[ New ]
Same issue here. SC not working.
Sightseer

[ New ]

I'm having the exact same issue was well.  Just got a GoPro 9 and this is the only function I've had issue with.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hang tight, firmware update will fix this.

Hiker

[ New ]

When is the Nov firmware to be released? 

Hiker

[ New ]

This month sometime they release update, that will address the issue, as well as other issues.

All you can do is wait, there’s no fix yet. When I started this thread longtime ago, we have tested every possible work around. Probably more so than GoPro. It is a software issue that needs to be resolved.

As good as the Hero 9 can be. It was plagued with bugs at launch. They needed this to work. The competition from DJI and other manufactures with a cheaper product doing more is only getting worse. I’m curious to see how sales go with the Hero 9 at years end. This by far did not sit well with customers, and future buyers.

We have many manufactures to choose from now moving forward. So it’s a a good market for us if ever want make the switch. For me, this will probably be the last GoPro Product I ever buy. I bought 3 Hero 9. I’ll stick with them for a year or so maybe, and then sell and go to different brand. I myself given GoPro to many chances to prove they are ahead, and ready.

Hiker

[ New ]

"We have many manufactures to choose from now moving forward"
Do we? Who's left in this game? Insta360 and DJI only, and their action camera offerings aren't exactly known for stability.

Sightseer

[ New ]
I have also been experiencing the exact same issue, scheduled capture does not start and battery drains. This is so frustrating, have missed out on shots I specifically bought this camera for! Can GoPro pleese acknowledge and address this issue ASAP??
Sightseer

[ New ]
This does not work for me, I stayed up till 12, set the scheduled capture for 3:30, when I woke up, the gopro had turned on but nothing was captured, again. So irritating. Tried this multiple times now
Tourist

[ New ]

I am very disappointed with this.  Scheduled Capture is really the only reason that I purchased the Hero 9.  This is something that I have wanted in a camera for years.  If not fixed soon, this will probably be my last gopro.

Tourist

[ New ]

I have possibly found the issue.  Or, at least I finally got a sucessful scheduled capture.  All the failed attempts, I did not set a duration and did not use the app on the phone for set-up.  Finally, I tried the phone app and set a duration.  It seems to have worked.  Hope this helps and was not just a fluke.

Nomad

[ New ]
Very interesting.
Just tried setting it up from the App rather than on the GP9 itself, and as you say it appears to work.
Only set it up for 20 minutes ahead, but will now try overnight.
Never thought to try via App so excellent find.
Tourist

[ New ]

I hope it works for you.  I am going to try again tonight.

Nomad

[ New ]
Unfortunately appears the same old issue. After setting it up via the app with a delay of multiple hours (overnight), nothing recorded and a flat battery
Was hopeful, but alas no luck
Pity that we now have to wait until Dec for a fix. Wish the team would bring out incremental fixes, rather trying to get this entire mess working in one update.
Tourist

[ New ]

Unfortianatly I had the same results overnight.  I was very hopeful after it worked the first time I tried it.  One odd item for me is that on previous attempts, I did not have a dead battery, but on this attempt, I did have a dead battery.  Strange.  It really does suck though, as this is the No. 1 reason that I baught the hero 9.

Tourist

[ New ]

v1.5 Firmware Release: 
Heads Up: This firmware update is now slated for December. Why? The more we test HERO9 Black in the field and the more feedback we receive from users, the more we identify little upgrades that will have huge impacts on the user experience. In order to provide the best experience, we are holding this firmware update to include as many improvements as possible, which includes:

• Wireless Offload – Up to 20% faster wireless offloads to the GoPro app.
  • HyperSmooth 3.0 – We’re improving HyperSmooth performance even more in colder temperatures. 
  • Slo-Mo Shortcut  Introducing a new slo-mo shortcut option for rear display.
  • Live Streaming with the Max Lens Mod – Support to bring ultra-wide 155° Max SuperView perspective and powerful in-camera horizon lock to live streaming when using Max Lens Mod.
  • GPS Improvements – Improved GPS lock and accuracy.
  • External Mic –  Connectivity enabled for the 3.5mm Mic Adapter.
  • Scheduled Capture – Bug fixes to improve start/stop time precision.
Hiker

[ New ]

'improve start/stop time precision' is a pretty interesting way to state the problem!!!

;) hope it works! 

Sightseer

[ New ]
Precision assumes something works imprecisely. This simply doesn't work.
Tourist

[ New ]

I have had an opposite issue and I do not know if it is because of the more recent update. When I am at 100% I set up the capture for 6.30 am. When I woke up the next day the battery was dead, I did have a time-lapse of the dead of night and NOT the early morning sunrise. Got another battery in and watched the camera. Settings I have tried are both time-lapse in video and time-lapse photos. Once I see the time at the top of the screen that it is scheduled and it is confirmed if I want to adjust the time (or continue with the time set menu screen) I have used both the adjust and continue options and the camera now just starts to take the pictures or video, ignoring the capture start time. 

My GoPro is the new hero 9 black, Version 1.22

Sightseer

[ New ]
Seriously, y'all are awesome for putting all this out there. Just had my first run in with this bug last night thought I'd messed up my settings. Appreciate all this info!
Nomad

[ New ]

lets go GOpro! Push this firmware out! 

Tourist

[ New ]

Have they given a date for the firmware update as yet? Scheduled capture (a function advertised and SOLD) still not working :(

Hiker

[ New ]

Dear GoPRo,

new sunshine & new Hero9 schedule fail again and again. Can you fix this ? But before this fix....please fix F******** TouchScreen !!!! Is working worst then Hero8 ! If you don't fix this on Hero9 you will see how Gopro Camera Will fly better  then Elon Musk's SpaceX  with no return to Earth. 

A big thanks  for future fix :D

Tourist

[ New ]
何度もトライしてもスケジュールキャプチャが成功しないので、ここの記事を見て自分だけの問題でない事を知った。既知の問題として公表しない事に失望を感じる。