Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

GoPro Hero 9 Scheduled Capture Issues

[ New ]

So I have used the Scheduled Capture a few times to rest. I set it up to Turn on and capture video in 2 minutes within programing it. I turn GoPro Hero 9 off. It works. It turns on few minutes later and starts recording. Awesome.

Problem:

When I set it to do same thing but 10 hours later, not just in few minutes. But I program it turn on for sunset and time lapse for 2 hours. It wont. Not only does it not turn on, but when I set it up at 9pm, for a 6am sunrise it was at 88%. I woke up no video but battery was 2%.

Is anyone else having problems with Scheduled Capture set to turn on many hours later while asleep. I saw couple people on Youtube saying they experienced 50/50 it working. Which is seems what Im seeing.

Maybe GoPro aware and address it next update.

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: GoPro Hero 9 Scheduled Capture Issues

[ New ]

Hi @pilotsflight @stoutboost7283

This has been reported to the team.

We'll post back once we have an update.

As a workaround, can you please try setting the camera's Auto-Off option to Never?

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

View solution in original post

All Replies
Hiker

[ New ]

Same issues and it's really a bummer...after using labs which worked perfectly on the 8, was so excited to have some of the features built in...but same results, 0 success with any schedule longer than 15 min...spoke to support yesterday, they said hard reset camera would do the trick...definitely did not...really wish they would at least address the fact that it's not working as the scheduling was one of the main selling points....

Highlighted
Hiker

[ New ]

Update: 9/24/20

i tried again last night 9pm set scheduled time lapse 10 seconds for 3 hrs for 6am start. Tuned off GoPro at 97% battery. It's now 9:02am next day. No media saved, did not record and it's at 86% battery.

Again if I select a time in the future only 2-5 minutes away from starting and shut the camera off, it turns on and starts. But anything for longer scheduled time does not record..

missed two sunrises now

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @pilotsflight @stoutboost7283

This has been reported to the team.

We'll post back once we have an update.

As a workaround, can you please try setting the camera's Auto-Off option to Never?

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

aragon thanks much!!! 

can confirm that at least in my case, switching auto off to never did not help... hoping for a fix soon (at least i still have my 8 with labs firmware...which works awesome!... but still want the new one working ;) 

GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks! @stoutboost7283

We'll have this shared with the team as additional information.

Hiker

[ New ]

Update:

I tried again 3rd time. Camera at 100% battery 9pm, schedualed 6am. Auto Power set to NEVER, and used 24 hr clock instead of the am selection as previous times I tried.  Turned camera off. 

Just check no sunrise. No recodings, but camera was at 21% battery. Every time no media recodred but battery is drianed.

Not doing any more testing 3x (3 days) was enough to play around get it work. They will have fix it in next software update.

Tourist

[ New ]

I have been having the exact issues that pilotsflight has with the scheduled capture.  I had auto off set to "never".  Tried to record the sunrise with Time Lapse Photo.  Set the capture time for 6:00am and turned the camera off around 10:00pm the previous day.  Tried three days in a row and no recording.  It does appear that the camera is turning on but the recording does not start up.  I have experimented with setting shorter times such as 2 hours and it worked fine but every time I try overnight no recording.  The battery is drained quite a bit though the following morning.  I wonder if the issue is that the capture is set the day before and there is some kind of firmware glitch?  Very frustrating as I thought this would be a great tool for capturing time laspse while I was asleep.

Hiker

[ New ]
Okay I am running into the same issue as well but for a night lapse mode. I set the schedulecapture. In night lapse mode at 12 a.m. intended for a 3 a.m. capture. In the morning there are no video as a result. I tried again yesterday with the exact settings and time when I set it up for 3 a.m. capture and this morning again no video. Mind you the camera was sitting outdoor at around 60° weather both attempts therefore I wonder if there are correlation between temperature and the scheduled capture mode. Today in my room I scheduled captured 5 hours away and the camera did turn on in night lapse mode. This issue seems to only happen during the nighttime
Tourist

[ New ]

I have a hard time beleiveing that the Gopro malfunctions at 60 degree temperatures.    That was  about the same temperature it was when my Gopro was outside and it didn't capture three nights in a row.  I do think the GoPro turned on but the capture never started recording.

My theroy is that there is a softwear glitch that has a problem with you setting the Scheduled Capture the day before.  I'm going to try setting it up after midnight and then see if it works in the morning.  I'll let you all know. 

Whatever it is it seems like it is something that can be fixed in a firmware update.

Hiker

[ New ]
This is super interesting and let's lay down some of the stats:

Negative Condition:
Temp = 60F
Camera Config time = before 12am
Scheduled Captured hours = 3am next day

Positive condition (when it worked)
Temp = 70F
Camera Config time = 8am
Scheduled Captured time = 12pm (doing a second test 5 hours apart @5pm same day)

Based on this, I think you are right and the system may not have fired if it's considered the next day. One way to test this is to setup the camera time as 11. 55pm now and then schedule to fire at 12.01am again. This will allow us to test the theory of next day glitch.

Gopro you should comp us for finding these bugs for you and with proposed solution. I will take the max mod thanks!!!

Hiker

[ New ]
Also we are in year 2020, @GoPro why is this site not mobile responsive at all?

From 1 silicone Valley dude to another... You should know better
Hiker

[ New ]

I've had this issue happen to me since getting my GoPro, fortunately it's getting fixed Smiley Happy

Hiker

[ New ]

i bet you're right sightseer... what makes this doubly frustrating as labs, where this scheduled capture was based i presume, has 0 issues with next day etc... so frustrating

Hiker

[ New ]
Actually just tested by changing the gopro time to 11:55pm and scheduled capture at 12:02am to simulate the overnight process and it actually fired... I did make a change where I changed Auto Shut Off to never. Let me test again with original settings of 15min
Tourist

[ New ]
Hi all,

I'm am having the same issues as mentioned.
If I set a short scheduled start for say 10min time it works, tho if tried 3 nights in a row to schedule a sunrise capture and nothing works.
Very dissapointed so far
Hiker

[ New ]

It's really issue on same day firing. I can set up 3 hrs away as long as it is same day it will fire.

so tonight at 12am I will set it for sunrise, and I think it will work for 6am record time.

it's just setting it at 9pm night before for 6am fire it won't work.  The software not recognizing 6am the next day.

I'll try it tonight at 12am set it for sunrise 6:30am. I'll post results.

Hiker

[ New ]
Just tested again by setting gopro to 11:55pm and set capture time at 12.02am with auto shutoff at 15min. It fired up again and recorded.

Now I am thinking if it has to do with scheduling at extended hours (3-6 hours or more) + next day issue.... I can try tonight as well but I did this 2 nights in a row and still failed...
Hiker

[ New ]

Interesting redhike.

so it may just be plain and simple extended schedual record firing times more then 3 to 6 hours away.  Nothing to do with next day now.  I'll try at 12am still for 6:30 am fire for sunrise.  

Hiker

[ New ]
I just hate the wait and wake up to disappointment.... Lol
Hiker

[ New ]
Update:

So I tested it at 12:05am set it for a 6:30am sunrise. The camera DID turn on but it did NOT record. So debunk the next day theory. It’s just anything set over 3 to 6 hours out scheduled record. Won’t record. Anything set shorter will.

I woke up camera was on but no Data.
Hiker

[ New ]
Are you in Night lapse mode or regular time-lapse mode? Yeah I am down to the theory of extended scheduling hours
Hiker

[ New ]
I was always in just regular time lapse mode video. Never recorded. Turned on but never recorded. In all 4 of my test.
Hiker

[ New ]

OK I can confirm this behavior as well - GoPro turns on but did not fire on the actual capture with no media saved.

@GoPro  @pilotsflight 

Setup Info:

• Camera setup time: 11:58am
  • Scheduled Capture time: 3am
  • Mode: Nightlapse
  • Auto Shutoff: Never
  • Shutter/Interval/Duration: Auto everything
  • Battery Percentage during setup: 98%

Results:

• No media captured
  • Battery 0% at 7am in the morning

This confirms the following observation: 

1. GoPro did turn on but did not capture anything

2. Same behavior regardless of Auto Shutoff being set to never (previous workaround from Labs)

3. Everytime I tested it seems to fail at night, but day time setup fires correctly

Hypothesis:

1. Possible issue related to long shutter opening when left to Auto shutter (Can re-test by setting shutter at 30 seconds and leave rest auto to compensate)

2. Possible clash between Auto Shutter and Interval (Seen this on Panasonic Lumix camera), this would be a gopro bug since everything was set to Auto.

Nomad

[ New ]

I can replicate the same issues that others have described here so I layered on the confirming the day switch over by running;

10 am this morning

1. Video mode - set to scheduled start 14:00 - Duration set to 30 seconds
  2. Plugged into charger
  3. Switched off

14:15 (now)

1. GoPro was still switched on (15 min power off)
  2. Nothing had recorded
  3. Scheduled start setting has cleared
  4. Duration still set to 30 second

IMG_0069.jpeg

Previous tests were with Timelapse mode and Night Timelapse mode.

Video mode worked numerous times when set to start within the same hour as being set, i.e. in 5 mins time, in 10 mins time etc.

So;

• Still powering up at the scheduled time
  • Not starting set mode, regardless of mode tested
  • Crossing midnight is not a factor that seems to impact the result
Hiker

[ New ]
I am glad someone else is nerding out with me on this lol
Tourist

[ New ]
I guess my question is is this issue a problem with everyone who has a Gopro 9 or is it just a select few like us? It seems like there would be more people complaining about it if it happened to everyone since this is a relatively big feature of the Gopro 9. What do you all think?
Hiker

[ New ]
I think it is a firmware issue, now I can only assume that not everyone with the new hero 9 is testing out nightlapse captures with a schedule. Most people kinda just point and shoot videos with it. I did see some big YouTube reviews that said had same issue on scheduled captured. And obviously most people on this thread is experiencing the same thing so No its not an isolated incident, but rather I think it's lack of user same size with this functionality.
Tourist

[ New ]

Same issue here. If timer is set near the ongoing time, it works, if more than few hours after, it won't work. Probably same issue in all gopro 9:s so it's a firmware issue. Hoping for issue solved soon. Been so frustrated to miss many good opportunities.

O97A9344-2.jpg
Tourist

[ New ]
I set mine at 02:00 to fire at 07:22.... still didn’t work. 100% battery down to 88 and no footage.
Sightseer

[ New ]

Chiming in here that I have the exact same issue. Have tried many different setups and parameters over about 7 different nights and none have worked so far lol.

Tourist

[ New ]

Same problem here. I did a lot of tests about the Scheduled Capture function.

1. Set scheduled capture in an hour, works very well (tried 10 times).

2. Set scheduled capture in two hours, gopro9 would turn on automatically. Sometimes it counts 3 seconds then start recording (good). BUT, sometimes the GoPro just turn on automatically, then do nothing (this is why you guys' GoPro did not record, but the battery gets low).

3. Set scheduled capture in three hours or more (the longest I tried 6 hours later). Sometimes it would even not turn on automatically. Sometimes it turns on without recording. (have never succeeded).

* After I scheduled each time, I turned it off and never turn on the GoPro before it turns on automatically.

Hiker

[ New ]
I am so glad someone else is as crazy and geeky as me testing out the camera in such methodical way. GOPRO should comp us for doing all the beta testing
Sightseer

[ New ]
Got the same issue as described in the above posts and can confirm the "next day" issue.
Tourist

[ New ]

Just got my Hero 9 specifically for this feature and tried it last night - didn't work. First try out the box and not encouraging. So, yes another one for the list. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

I am excited about the GoPro9 because of the Scheduled Capture capabilities, but I don't want to buy one until this issue is figured out...  I have an idea to try as a workaround for someone who already owns the GoPro9 (sorry if this has been attempted already). 

Workaround Idea:

Let's say you want to set up a timelapse for sunrise the following morning.  If it's 9pm (21:00) and you'd like to set the scheduled capture for 06:00am the following morning (9 hours later), can you change the current time to 13:00/1pm (even though it's actually 21:00/9pm) and the timer for 9 hours later at 22:00/10pm?  This would keep the date from changing while the timer is counting down. 

I just thought I'd throw this idea out there since I don't have a GoPro9 to test it on.  Thanks for all the work you're all doing to figure this thing out!

Tourist

[ New ]

I'm having the same issues with scheduled capture. Have set it up for Night Lapse Photo | Interval 30s | Duration no limit | Battery life was 100% sceduled to begin at 23.00.

Checked camera at 08.00 at battery had run out (expected) but no media taken?

Looking forward to a fix or instructions for a work around.

Many thanks for your time.

Tourist

[ New ]
I’ve had a success - same day but scheduled capture has worked whilst the Go Pro watch plugged into a mains supply. My working hypothesis is now that scheduled capture won’t work when the Go Pro doesn’t have enough battery to capture the shot?!
Nomad

[ New ]
While I like that theory, all of my tests were done while plugged into power.
Tourist

[ New ]

Darn it... Thought i'd cracked it. 

Tourist

[ New ]

I have been doing a bunch more experimentation and also calling to customer support. 

-I confirmed I am using the most up to date firmware on the camera.

-I did a full reset on the camera after that. 

-I tested it on a couple captures of varying lengths and delays on the same day and it worked fine. Each time was with a fully charged battery. 

-I tested it on a capture the next day while plugged in that was within the times of the previous test and it didn't work. 

-I called customer support and they acknowledged that there was a known problem that they are working on and asked me to change the power off time to never.

-I have done a couple more captures overnight of vary times and delays with it plugged in and it has worked. 

-My captures are night photo time lapse 10s apart with either a 2 hour capture or a no timelimit capture. 

For me while this is not quite perfect it is fine as I am doing my captures near to power to plugging it in is not a big deal although the way the door hangs open is a bit janky (I am looking at a third party door that allows me to plug it in with the door closed). 

Tourist

[ New ]

@GoPro 

Can you please provide an update how to fix the issue or when the firmware is updated by gopro. Thanks.

Nomad

[ New ]

Two new observations.

• Is there any correlation between Auto Upload being enabled? I don't think there is but just a thought that it could be something that interrupts the process.
  • It ignores auto switch off mode. Ran it again this morning, night timelapse, no duration limit and auto shutdown to 5 mins. 11am this morning it was still turned on, no media. So the camera boots up, as everyone else has reported, the capturing doesn't start but nor does the auto-shutdown get triggered. So the camera still thinks the capture is happening.
Tourist

[ New ]

Ah, not just me then, no recordings here. Left it with never off enabled and the battery drains within a few hours. Not sure what it's doing but it gets quite warm (before the scheduled event).

Sightseer

[ New ]

Same problem here. Just tried the sunrise 06:30 for two days, no recording. Then I found this thread :(

Any new firmware on the way to fix this? This is the function I bought the 9 for. Very disapointing. 

Hiker

[ New ]
I have the same problems and I’ve been doing a review for my YouTube channel on this topic. I’ve also had problems with the schedule capture does come on immediately or shortly shuts off after two minutes on a 30 minute duration clip. Obviously this is a software issue that can be fixed I hope just disappointed the GoPro did not catch it in their beta testing

If you want to see my YouTube channel review on it here’s my link thanks : https://www.youtube.com/c/scamhealy
Tourist

[ New ]
I see that there was a long awaited firmware update released today but no mention of a fix for the scheduled capture issue in the description. Could they just not have mentioned it? Maybe I’ll give it a try tonight.
Hiker

[ New ]
I have mine set to try the sunrise tomorrow. 🤞🏻
Hiker

[ New ]
Sadly I returned mine because I think it has heat issue with hardware problems causing screen flicker... I will buy it again when it's more mature and fixed
Tourist

[ New ]
Seems to be working now.