Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

GoPro Hero 9 Image Quality and Stabilization

[ New ]

Most of my footage are in this condition...bad image quality, useful only for headaches.

I've send this video 4 days ago at GoPro Support but they never response.

Anyone know how to avoid this? Is my camera broke?

All Clips are in 4k 30fps - iso min100 - iso max 800 - sharpness: medium - linear + horizion align

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab-v214pV2E&feature=youtu.be 

Hiker

Rif.: GoPro Hero 9 Image Quality and Stabilization

[ New ]

@gaspare20  ha scritto:

Most of my footage are in this condition...bad image quality, useful only for headaches.

I've send this video 4 days ago at GoPro Support but they never response.

Anyone know how to avoid this? Is my camera broke?

All Clips are in 4k 30fps - iso min100 - iso max 800 - sharpness: medium - linear + horizion align

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab-v214pV2E&feature=youtu.be 

Tourist

[ New ]

I have same issue. Footage looks worse then taken with gopro 5. Do not recommend to buy this camera to anyone. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi,

I have the same problem too!

Will this problem be fixed with the new firmware or is it a specific problem of my camera?

Thanks,

Michele

Hiker

[ New ]

I don't know if is Hardware or Software problem. I'm waiting a response from GoPro from about 6 days.

Tourist

Re: GoPro Hero 9 Image Quality and Stabilization

[ New ]

I got the same problem. There was no any support for the stabilization even I had turned on the Hyper smooth. I found this problem after I upgraded the new firmware. It's totally different before I did the firmware updating. I'd like to know how can I contact GoPro directly? I tried to contact their support online but couldn't.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone!

Is this only observed when using 4K?

How about the rest of the resolution?

Can you also check if setting Protune to default will make a difference?

Also, please note that another update for the HERO9 Black will be released soon.

https://gopro.com/en/us/news/hero9-black-launch-updates

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi,
in my case the problem is independent of the resolution used.

The problem is very evident when I use the "linear" or "linear + horizon alignment" settings: the frames are not properly focused, the video seems to "vibrate".

Even using the factory settings the problem persists.

Thanks,

Michele

Tourist

[ New ]

Tourist

How to get in touch with support team? I keep sending the messages still no reply?

[ New ]

GoPro

Re: How to get in touch with support team? I keep sending the messages still no reply?

[ New ]

Hi @timurt75738

Sorry for any trouble caused.

Would you mind logging another request? This time, when entering the contact number, please do not add a zero after the country code.

Please take note of the case number so we can also follow up with the team.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

the same problem here

[ New ]

the same problem here

Tourist

Betreff: the same problem here

[ New ]
Kann die Hero 9 der Hero 7+Gimbal das Wasser reichen ?Das Ergebnis hat mich selbst etwas überrascht ...Micro Fellwindschutz :https://www.amazon.de/KEEPDRUM-M...
Tourist

Re: the same problem here

[ New ]
Thank you for sharing the video! I guess hero 9 itself has bad video quality much worse than I thought( disappointed honestly!
Nomad

[ New ]

The problem is causing the horizontal alignment! Imho it is a SW problem because it also occurs with post-stabilization with ReelSteady (with lock horizon). The original footage is not stabilized, but the images are sharp - the problem only arises with lock horizon, as you can see when the camera is stabilized and horizontal alignment is active.
ReelSteady has now had various updates - and it looks like the problem should be solved there. Since ReelSteady belongs to GoPro and Hypersmooth 3.0 is based on it, I very much hope that this solution will also find its way into the camera software!

Nomad

[ New ]

Addendum:
try to record in very good light and with ISO3200 ... then nothing shakes anymore.

Tourist

[ New ]

Did the footage improve with the advices?

Hiker

[ New ]

Hello everyone

My experience is not so bad, indeed this is the best GoPro I have ever used, but it is not perfect:

1. Lot of dead pixels visible in low light
  2. Terrible colours
  3. Very limited dynamic range (worse than 8 but better than 4 and 3).

But positive:

1. Very good stabilization
  2. Very stable (my camera never crash, the 8 crashed continuously)
  3. Very good RAW pictures (Hero 8 was terrible)
  4. The fantastic imagen quality after calibration

For the Colours and dynamic range, the solution is here

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Gopro-Hero-9-Flat-Native-WB-Color-Grading-LUT/m-p/825221

The results are spectacular, really good quality.

All the footage I have seen with blurry images is with low light. The reason is simple, you cannot do digital stabilization with low shutter speed. If you need to record with low light you need high ISO and reduce the framerate. For low light scenarios I always use 5k30 wide and increase my ISO from 400 to 800 (the limit for the noise), The result is not spectacular but good enough. 

For the rest, I always use 4k60p ISO max 400 wide or horizont level (doesn't make sense use lineal as you can always correct the aspect in post).

Gopro can improve the blurry if the limit the lower shutter speed but if you don't have light it is impossible to have sharp imagens. The test is very simple: record in manual without stabilization. Play the content and pause the video, is it blurry? then increase the shutter speed and ISO up to the level is it not blurry, now test with digital stabilization.

Also there is a possibility that you have a firmware problem or a hardware problem and the detection of the light is wrong, but I dont think so.

Hiker

[ New ]

the blurry is the low shutter speed you need more ISO

When you have light https://youtu.be/ab-v214pV2E?t=35 it is not blurry but not stabilized at all, probably because a misconfiguration and then suddenly https://youtu.be/ab-v214pV2E?t=52 stabilized (you would probably push the button. If you didnt touch anything is because you have a problem.

Hiker

[ New ]

I just pressed the record button and the video was not stabilized (HyperSmooth on boost ) but arount 0:50 something happen and return stabilized. I think is a software problem because this happen when Horizontal Leveling is on.

Hiker

[ New ]

I don't know if there is a specific chip for stabilization, but if you don't touch anything the stabilization has to keep always the same (except for horizon level) but very similar. But I think you are changing the stabilization configuration or have a serious problem with the camera.

Tourist

Betreff: GoPro Hero 9 Image Quality and Stabilization

[ New ]

It seams like the GoPro struggles with stabilizing. That oftens heppens when its too dark or the ISO is to low. Thats just my expireience but i hope i cloud help a little bit

Sightseer

[ New ]

I'm having the same issue!  The quality of the footage on Hero 9 shot in 4K is abysmal -- fuzzy, out of focus, looks pixelated.  Would love to hear a response from GoPro about this,

Hiker

[ New ]
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @mirnag776 @afan1234567

We have recently released an update for the HERO8 Black and the HERO9 Black.

Please make sure your cameras are up to date.

https://gopro.com/en/us/update

Thanks!

Ej