Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro Hero 9 GPS not working

[ New ]

Hi GoPro-Support

any reason why my new H9 Black (bought via GoPro shop) doesn't show any GPS based data as my old H5 Black did? FW 1.6 is installed, and yes, I activated GPS functionality ;-) You have to know, that I'm an IT guy and not depnding on "xxx for dummies" instructions. Hope that the reason is not severe, othervise I hereby do indicate, that the device will be returned an that I insist in complete reverse transaction.

BR Wolfgang von Bohlen

Backpacker

Re: GoPro Hero 9 GPS not working

[ New ]

What software are you using to try to add GPS gauges to your footage?

Tourist

[ New ]

Quik with Android and also under W10

Backpacker

[ New ]

The one for desktop is easy to answer.

Quik for desktop is old out dated software that was discontinued over 3 years ago, it is unsupported and as a result no longer available for download under the apps section on the GoPro Website.  The software is older than the current GoPro camera's and therefore does not support GPS data in either the GoPro Hero 8 or GoPro Hero 9 as both of these camera's were released after the software was discontinued and they store their GPS data in a completely different format.  I'm surprised that being an IT GUY you didn't realize that using out of date discontinued unsupported software was a bad idea.

As for the android app, Please realize that GPS lock needs to be established before you start recording.  If you start recording before GPS lock is established, there will be no GPS data embedded in your video.  So you need to wait for a GPS lock before you start recording.  This means it's a bad idea to use Quick Capture as that starts the camera recording immediately before GPS can lock.

I would describe this more in detail and give you instructions but I know how much you hate step by step instructions for dummies and I wouldn't want to offend such an important IT GUY.  

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks so much for this cynical farewell. You are the world coolest guy an most outstanding ambassador for the brand. Please, do not believe, that this reply isn't cynical too. Wish you some great further years and much fun in your job, I'm sure, you love it. The difference is, that I know what I can and have an education that prevents me from such amazing attitudes you revealed.

Close the ticket.

Backpacker

[ New ]

An education that apparently didn't teach you not to use old outdated unsupported discontinued software.  Also, next time you ask for help, don't include something like "You have to know, that I'm an IT guy and not depnding on "xxx for dummies" instructions." when apparently it's exactly what you need.

Good luck!

Tourist

[ New ]

Haha, I'm lucky. Better wishing you luck, you need it more.