Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Backpacker

GoPro Hero 9 Firmware Update Available

[ New ]

Hi Folks

Just letting you all know there is a firmware update available for the Hero 9.  It hasn't shown up on the app yet as an update (it was released yesterday).  Here's the details for all those that want to try this firmare update:

NEW Latest release:
HERO9 Black update v1.6 | June 22, 2021

HERO9 Black update v1.6

PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENTS

• Improves touch-screen performance in menus and settings
  • Enhances connectivity with the Quik app
  • Boosts reliability when using The Remote to control the camera
  • Improves QuikCapture reliability
  • Improves power-on reliability
  • Adds camera support for Open GoPro

USABILITY IMPROVEMENTS

• General bug fixes and other user interface improvements

You can find the update here if you want to manually update:

https://gopro.com/en/us/update

You can also log into your account and download the update from your "My Devices" section.  Or you can wait a while longer and it should pop up in the app as an available firmware update for your camera.

It would be nice to know what "Open GoPro" is, I would assume that it's either a GoPro labs rebranding or they are opening up some of the software for users to make their own improvements.  Time will tell!

Nomad

Re: GoPro Hero 9 Firmware Update Available

[ New ]
Backpacker

[ New ]

Ok, using the firmware update and holy carp.........   no kidding, the touchscreen actually works!  It's responsive, and I mean, miles upon miles better than what it was.  With the 1.50 update, things improved, but it was still a disaster of a touch screen.  This new firmare though, V1.6?  The touch screen works brilliantly.  I even trid holding the camera by an add on adapter so there was no contact with the camera and it still worked beautifully.

I'm now downloading 2 clips I recorded.  I tried to move them from my phone to the app this morning and there was nothing but constant crashes and disconnects.  I couldn't even download one clip.  These were 1080P @ 24FPS each lasting about 3 minutes.  I attempted to download these 8 times and couldn't.  I even used a 3rd party piece of software and it wouldn't work (so I was having a really bad morning!).

I've just downloaded the first of the clips flawlessly with the new Firmware update.  The 2nd clip is now downloading and so far so good...., more than halfway through.....  DONE!  It worked!!!

Folks, download this firmware now.  I was ..... angry... at my camera and disappointed with GoPro this morning.......... saw this update, installed it and holy heck........  it's like it's a totally different camera!

Backpacker

[ New ]

@wheelchairwalks Thank you sir!  From what I'm reading, this is a huge step in the right direction for GoPro.  

Nomad

[ New ]
I heard a month or two back that June had a FW update on the way. But I figured it would be months late. Besides any device benefits it’s nice to see a goal met on time.
Nomad

[ New ]

The cracks on the elevator off fixed it?

Nomad

[ New ]
Screen responsivnes is much better, but it still has audio popping sound. @GoPro fix this **bleep**in problem, or give my money back.
Nomad

[ New ]

Audio popping? To solve this you have to affect them on Wall Street. See the company is no longer about pleasing customers, instead they are oriented towards pleasing the Wall Street gang.

Backpacker

[ New ]

Touch screen better?  I would say the touch screen is fantastic.  I mean, wow.  It works!

As for the audio popping noise, that is disappointing, I take it you're not using a media mod or a mic adapter?  Just want to check as I want to try and replicate this issue myself.

Nomad

[ New ]

@irishmanpdx wrote:

Touch screen better?  I would say the touch screen is fantastic.  I mean, wow.  It works!

As for the audio popping noise, that is disappointing, I take it you're not using a media mod or a mic adapter?  Just want to check as I want to try and replicate this issue myself.

I dont need media mod or mic adapter. It shold work as it is. I also often use it for snorkeling or diving

Hiker

[ New ]

Francamente tutta questa felicità la trovo immotivata, con tutto il rispetto

6 mesi per far uscire un nuovo FW che NON risorve il vero problema del pop audio ma si limita a rendere meno buggata la gopro Hero 9

e devo essere felice di questo ? a me serve l'audio funzionante SENZA alcun MOD installato, non mi interessa fare VLOG con la gopro io la utilizzo per fare sport di azione ed è gia troppo grossa cosi rispetto alla Hero8 figuriamoci se ci metto su anche uno schifo di microfono esterno ( che ha pure una qualità pessima ).

dopo 6 mesi non mi danno la possibilità di disabilitare il microfono che da problemi ? io sono un programmatore e mi vergogno per chi fa il mio stesso lavoro in GoPro, io una soluzione ad un problema per quanto possa essere grave ci metto l'anima per trovarla, sopratutto  se so che chi utilizza un mio prodotto è in difficoltà a causa mia.

Resto tremendamente amareggiato, ancora oggi utilizzo ha Hero8 al posto della 9 che è un'offesa ai soldi che ho dovuto pagare.

Ricordatevi...prima di festeggiare felici e contenti per il nuovo FW...che gli altri produttori di action cam quando fanno uscire il FW lo fanno per aggiungere nuove funzionalità, gopro unicamente per correggere errori ed introdurne di nuovi.

Da sempre.

il media mod gopro se lo può tenere.

Backpacker

[ New ]

It's understandable to be upset, frankly having a camera that has an audio pop problem isn't great at all. For many of the users, Audio Popping hasn't been an issue due to the fact they DO use an external microphone or don't need audio at all (motor sports, aircraft use, diving etc). This is likely why other issues were prioritized to be fixed first. I can only share what I know on the issue.

I know that GoPro do have an open ticket for fixing the "Audio pop" issue, I just wish I knew more details about it and whether they suspect it is a hardware or software issue. I wish they would communicate the steps they are taking and the timeline to a solution to customers, I think that type of openess would benefit the customers and GoPro both.

Like you, I also had to switch to using my Hero 8 for reliability, and that was due to the file transfer issue. I was angry and frustrated at trying to download files from my camera to my phone and having constant disconnection errors. I reached the stage yesterday where I wasn't sure that I could recommend the GoPro Hero 9 to anyone to buy due to this issue. It was strange that on the day I finally put my foot down, the update was released to fix the issue! So yes, I will celebrate this firmware release.

I do know some of the people at GoPro and I can honestly say that they are also passionate about their product. They really do put their heart and soul into trying to fix issues and making customers feel supported and happy. They have a list of things that need to be fixed (and in what order) and that's what they do. I honestly wouldn't be using a GoPro if I didn't think the staff cared about their customers or their camera's, it's because I know that they are in fact very passionate, that I'm still a customer. I just wish GoPro could communicate some of that energy and passion even more directly to their customers.

I think your statement about other camera manufacturers releasing firmware is slightly misguided though. Other camera manufacturers don't have as many models on the market as GoPro and their hardware is lagging behind what GoPro offers. GoPro have a yearly release business model whereas the competition seems to release every 2nd year. So they have a 2 year old camera on 2 year old hardware and are releasing firmware to try to catch up to the competition. From this respect, other camera manufacturers are taking over a year to give features to their camera's that GoPro have been offering for the past year. This means they are behind the competition. Also GoPro did release new features if you pay attention. The GoPro labs for instance offers a whole array of features (and new features with this release) that the competition just doesn't have. They also released compatability with "Open GoPro" for the Hero 9. That's a huge thing as it now means that 3rd party developers will be able to develope their own tools for working with the GoPro camera's.

So it's unfortunate that the Audio popping issue hasn't been fixed yet and I'm sorry that it's still affecting you and other users. I'm hoping that GoPro can release a fix for this and make it right for you soon as like you pointed out, you spent a lot of money on the product and it's not working to suit your needs and that is very disappointing indeed.

Hiker

[ New ]

Capisco irishmanpdx, però GoPro Lab non è mai allineato con l'ultima release del FW..capisco che non possa essere instantaneo il suo rilascio ma almeno entro il mese successivo chi compila il codice sorgente del LAB dovrebbe aggiornarlo e rilasciarlo in modo da consentire agli utilizzatori di avere l'ultima versione con le correzioni ereditate dall'ultimo FW.

Il problema del POP audio è ovviamente hardware se fosse software sarebbe matematico ed uguale per tutte le gopro mentre ( ne ho sostituite 4 ) qualcuna è peggiore e qualcuna è migliore, pur presentando sempre il problema ( per i più fortunati è quasi trascurabile ).

Resta il fatto che questo silenzio che dura da mesi da parte di GoPro è demoralizzante, continuare a dire che c'è un ticket aperto è una presa in giro, i soldi che abbiamo tutti pagati sono soldi veri e spesso per molti fonte di sacrifici.

Speriamo che la gopro 10 sia migliore

Backpacker

[ New ]

First of all, please accept my apologies if I say something stupid, that doesn't make sense or is further demoralizing.... I would like it if you could all blame "Google Translate!".  Smiley Tongue

Yes, the GoPro Labs firmware is USUALLY behind and not current, when the GoPro Firmware 1.52 was released, the GoPro labs firmware was based on 1.50 which had a lot of issues.  In this case however, with the release of the new GoPro Firmware 1.60, the GoPro Labs Firmware is also based on the new firmware 1.60.  I have installed this on my own GoPro Hero 9 and I can say that it's working.

Could be that the audio pop is hardware related, I did read in the forum somewhere that someone said it was coming from one audio channel.  Not sure how true that is, but wondering if disabling the audio channel would fix the issue (which can be done in the latest release of the GoPro labs firmware)(which to me indicates that GoPro have also realized that this is the issue and are working on a fix).  Warming up the camera for 2 minutes could indicate a bad solder joint somewhere.  I don't however believe that's the case.  If it was a manufacturing defect, these can be caught and fixed. There are many automated manufacturing tests that can catch hardware issues, but it won't catch software or firmware issue as that is always evolving.

There are some indicators that it may still be a software issue.  The fact that the GoPro "Fix" is to let the camera warm up for 2 minutes may indicate that there is a normalization period (if the mic in question is not just for vocal audio, but for wind detection).   If leaving for two minutes estabilishes a "normalization" of ambient audio, this could be why this suggested fix works.  In which case it could be a software issue with an audio channel not normalizing quickly enough.  This audio channel as suggested may be used for ambient audio but could also be applying "wind cut out" information to the device and applying it in an incorrect fashion.  Don't forget, GoPro just recently had a patent awarded to them for the exact same technology but applied to drone photography.  Their system analyses the audio noise created by drone motors and applies it as a filter to the audio recorded by a drone camera.  As a result this information can be used to remove drone noise from footage.  This could be based on the same tech as their wind removal from camera audio.  If this isn't working on their camera propery due to bad firmware (and we all know that the GoPro has had bad firmware since it's release) it's something that can be cleaned up and fixed but will take time to go through the code to find out where the issue lies.  

GoPro's software department is quite small compared to other companies, it's a situation I know they are fixing, but this means the resources to fix issues are quite limited.  As a result problems are prioritized and those that affect the majority of users are concentrated on first.  No External mic support, No remote support, Lack of GPS, Split Screen at high frame rates, File transfer issues...........   These are all things that affected the majority of users, hence they were prioritized.  So with an open ticket for Audio issues (and indicators that GoPro know where the issue lies), my guess is that it's currently being worked on, I just wish GoPro would give people some update as to when to expect a fix.  Even a rough estimate would be welcome.

I think the GoPro 10 will be better, usually I find the "odd" number GoPro's are the ones they introduce new features in, then spend the rest of the year trying to fix those new features, then the "Even" number GoPro's will come out with those features fully fixed and a few added bells and whistles that are ok, but not ground breaking.  

Good luck and I really hope GoPro get this fixed for you soon!

Hiker

[ New ]

There are still problems with the remote, it can not connect after the camera has gone into power off. it works on MAX but HERO 9 still has issues.

Backpacker

[ New ]

How long has the camera been powered off?

Hiker

[ New ]

2-3 min

Backpacker

[ New ]

Good to know, will test this out later on this evening when I have my remote handy.

Did you install the latest firmware on your camera?  Do you have the latest firmare installed on your remote?

Hiker

[ New ]

Yes.

Remote 1.2.0

HERO 9 01.60

Remember this is random, so it is not every time. But when You place the HERO 9 on a place where it can not be reached. And them when the remote not work, You are **bleep**ed.

Backpacker

[ New ]

No Kidding!  Yeah, I've also experienced this, but more with the GoPro app.  For those who may not know, the GoPro app connects to the GoPro via bluetooth and then if needed, it will activate the Wifi on the GoPro for live steaming a video, preview, playback of files etc.

I've powered on my GoPro's (Hero 6, Hero 8, Hero 9, Hero Fusion) and had cases where the app says "GoPro not found".  It's like the GoPro camera crashes or something and powers off.  Once this happens the bluetooth signal is lost and not active.  It should stay on for 8 hours after a power on (4 hours with the Hero 9 it seems).  But there's a lot of times that just doesn't happen, like you said, at random, and within a few minutes of the camera's being powered off.

My "guess"?  GoPro port their code from camera model to camera model.  When there are new features supported, it gets tacked onto the original legacy code.  The GoPro disconnection error has been around quite a long time and the code at this point is so conveluted (spaghetti code is what they call it) that unravling it to find the error would be like looking for a needle in a haystack.  

Since I use the app the most, this is where I've noticed it happen the most.  It's like there's a bit of code somewhere that either crashes the camera forcing complete shutdown or it's when the camera tries to communicate via bluetooth that the crash happens (causing a complete shutdown).  Since this happens across multiple camera's, I'm guessing this a continuing problem.  So when you lose connection with the remote, can you access the camera via the app?  Or will the app refuse to connect to the camera also?

Nomad

[ New ]
^ even today Win10 retains some code deep down that Bill Gates himself wrote in the 70s or 80s. For better or worse!
Nomad

[ New ]

@irishmanpdx wrote:

Other camera manufacturers don't have as many models on the market as GoPro and their hardware is lagging behind what GoPro offers. GoPro have a yearly release business model whereas the competition seems to release every 2nd year. So they have a 2 year old camera on 2 year old hardware and are releasing firmware to try to catch up to the competition. From this respect, other camera manufacturers are taking over a year to give features to their camera's that GoPro have been offering for the past year. This means they are behind the competition.

What are you talking? Gopro 9 is still using the same very old hardware as hero8,7,6 and maby others...take a look at DJI. Osmo Action is the first action camera, but look how it works. Build quality is very good, image quality too, good stabilisation, superb responsivness....And this is the first camare for them. They are using a newer hardware than gopro.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi all, It looks like the touchscreen issues are fixed. Yippee!

Now, does anyone have problems with Flat color profile being selected and when you start to record, it records in GoPro Color profile?  I've recorded 15 short videos all on the Flat color profile in Standard, Cinematic and other different settings and they all revert to GoPro Color Profile when actually filming.  But the setting is still in Flat when I check afterwards.  4K 24, 30 and 60 FPS.

Anyone have the same problem?  Firmware 1.60 fresh from this morning.  CD

Tourist

[ New ]

And all of the sudden, I am getting additional WAV files everywhere with every video.  Raw audio setting is OFF.  ?????

Backpacker

[ New ]

Did you update via your phone or did you run a manual update?  I'm not seeing either of these issues.  If you updated via mobile, it could e a bad firmware load in which case I would recommend a manual update.

Tourist

[ New ]

Thank you for your reply. I did a phone update, but will try a manual update tomorrow.  thank you.  CD

Nomad

[ New ]
Anecdote on the Touch Screen.

Just bought two more 9s for 200 apiece. Flipped one, and kept the other.

FW 1.21. Touch Screen seems great and comparable to FW 1.60.70 (Labs version of 1.60) actually. FW 1.21 powers up and down more slowly heh. I’ll compare them some more. Gotta do some audio pop testing on the new one as I don’t seem to have it on my main 9.
Hiker

[ New ]

Been trying most of the day to upload the new firmware and it keeps telling me "Something Went Wrong" Advising me to Updated later and later it didn't still didn’t work :-/   I've also tried to download the file to my Mac and I can't get past the "click on all traffic lights, all cars, all crosswalks etc. etc.   At time I can't even click on 'NEXT STEP'.  BTW I have updated the 9's firmware before via my Mac.

GoPro.jpg
Hiker

[ New ]

Been trying most of the day to upload the new firmware and it keeps telling me "Something Went Wrong" Advising me to Updated later and later it didn't still didn’t work :-/   I've also tried to download the file to my Mac and I can't get past the "click on all traffic lights, all cars, all crosswalks etc. etc.   At time I can't even click on 'NEXT STEP'.  BTW I have updated the 9's firmware before via my Mac.

GoPro.jpg
Nomad

[ New ]
Email matches the one GoPro tattooed on your site / subscription records? Camera history always with you? I can see how frustrating it can be just know that GoPro folks have to respond via script. So when I could not order the bundle, site kept saying payment issue etc however that was never the actual issue. It was GoPro’s internal systems. Just like how their shipping and tracking emails are not useable. Whatever is going on please post how you solved it.
Nomad

[ New ]
Happy to forward you the firmware I have 1.60 and 1.60.70 (labs beta) if there is an EZ way to do that.
Backpacker

[ New ]

Just use the GoPro Labs firmware, it's up to date, based on the latest release, you don't have to use the labs features if you don't want and it's a simple zip file download that you don't need to register any details for.

Hiker

[ New ]

By accident I found an easier way to upload new firmware and now 12 hours later I have v1.60 the latest firmwear on my 9.

See my attached phot for an easer way to download firmwear to your computer = QUICK AND EASY  

By accident I found .jpg
Tourist

[ New ]

Hi all, I did a manual update of the firmware and everything works as expected now.  Flat color profile looks flat.  No more WAV files for RAW audio when NONE is selected, etc.  Thank you for your suggestions.  CD

Sightseer

[ New ]

What about getting hot? Have you noticed if it runs cooler than before?

Thanks

Hiker

[ New ]

I really hope this addresses the constant format issues with my SanDisk Extreme memory card

Hiker

[ New ]

L'unico modo sicuro ed efficace per fare l'aggiornamento della gopro è l'update manuale

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi all, I have only been doing 5-10 second clips to test color, sound, and stability so I have not noticed any difference in the camera heating up.

Maybe during the weekend...  CD

Backpacker

[ New ]

I haven't had any issues with my camera overheating, nor have I had the "card needs formatting issue".  Then again, I'm using Samsung Evo cards in all my camera's so maybe that's making a difference.

Tourist

[ New ]
Выдаёт ошибку при обновлении на HERO9 Black Update v1.6.

Пробовал с разных айфонов, просит повторить позже, ничего не помогает. Потом написал что карту нужно форматнуть, я повелся, удалил все что наснимал в отпуске…

Не помогло.

Есть у кого то решение проблемы?
Backpacker

[ New ]

So "Formatting" = "Deleting everything off your card"

Why would you format your card without backing it up first?  

If you can't update via your phone (and it's a common problem), then you need to perform a manual update.

Tourist

[ New ]
Как я могу сделать резервное копирование если я в отпуске? Со мной только камера и телефоны. Можно провести мануальное обновление без компьютера?
Backpacker

[ New ]

1:  Download everything from your camera to your phone.  That would be a backup.

2:  Connect to a WiFi network and upload to the cloud (if you are subscribed). that would also be a backup.

If you had some good video, I would honestly recommend you stop using the card immediately.  Remove it from the camera and put it somewhere safe.  You can then use free software such as "Recuva" to try and recover the video you formatted.  Providing you haven't been using your camera since, it could still be recoverable.

You can then just buy another SD card from a local shop and use that instead, they cost about $40.

No, you cannot do a manual update without a PC or some sort of SD card reader as you need to download the firmware, unzip it, create a folder on your SD card, copy the files to it and then place it in your camera to begin the update.  However if you ask nicely, maybe a member of the hotel staff may be able to help you out.

Tourist

[ New ]
1. К сожалению отправить файлы на телефон не получалось, он каждый раз предлагает установить обновление.
2. Автоматическая синхронизация с облаком включена, к местному вай-фай камера подключена, но эти файлы почему то не отправились.

За подсказки большое спасибо, новую карту уже купил. Кстати, micro SD карта которая выдала ошибку, была в комплекте с камерой.

Обновление установлю уже когда домой вернусь. 265Гб должно хватить на оставшиеся пару дней.
Highlighted
Sightseer

[ New ]

Use Firefox to update manually. Using Chrome typically does not work for me.

Tourist

[ New ]

Does anyone know if the new Firmware update fixes the Split Image issue when recording video at certain frame rates?

Backpacker

[ New ]

The previous firmware update 1.52 was supposed to fix that.  1.50 and the previous GoPro Labs firmware resulted in the split screen issue.

Tourist

[ New ]

Не вздумайте обновляться! После обносления (версия 01.60.00) через приложение на телефоне, получил неработающий задний экран.

Откат на старую прошивку проблему не решил. 

Прблему получили и другие пользватели, но служба поддержки ничего внятного предложить не может. В итоге - камера с неработающим дисплеем. 

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Just-after-the-update-hero9-back-screen-not-working/m-p/11578...

Tourist

[ New ]
Судя по отзывам - распространенная проблема
https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Hero-9-Black-s-back-screen-does-not-turn-on/td-p/840096
Nomad

[ New ]

Manual (!!!) update from 1.52 to 1.6 worked without any problems! This time even without a previous reset to the factory settings.