Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro Hero 9 Black Battery Life

[ New ]

I recieved my GoPro Hero 9 Black directly from GoPro two days ago and I love it.

First thing out of the box I charged the battery full (until the light went off), inserted the included sd card and turned on the camera.

I found it strange that it said the battery was at 95% but I figured this was due to this being the first time I turned it on.

While tinkering around in the settings I noticed that the battery was draining quickly and became fairly hot within minutes.

So, I updated the firmware through the mobile app hoping it was some sort of bug.

After updating, the heat and drain issue persisted. Again, I'm not shooting video, I'm literally just going through menus.

I shot video with my phone of the back screen to confirm and it looks like I lose 1 percent every minute and 20 seconds or so on average. Should I be concerned and reach out to GoPro or am I just being paranoid with a new piece of tech? I know the advertised battery life shooting 1080p/60fps is 103 minutes, so that's around 1 percent per minute of shooting, but it seems strange for it to drain so quickly while not shooting. Thanks for any info or advice.

Hiker

Betreff: GoPro Hero 9 Black Battery Life

[ New ]
Moin.
Ich würde nicht solange warten. Am besten gleich da melden. Aber falls ich mich nicht irre, gibt es für Akkus keine Garantie, Verschleißteil. Natürlich darf sowas nicht nach wenigen Tagen passieren
Nomad

Re: GoPro Hero 9 Black Battery Life

[ New ]

So people think that when you're recording on your GoPro, the battery drain is extreme, and when you're not recording it should be light.  Well that's actually pretty incorrect.

Even if you're not recording (just browsing through menu's), the fact is the GoPro is in a "ready" state.  It's basically doing the same amount of image processing, adding stabilization, adding GPS, Adjusting colors, etc as it would when recording.  So it's still doing the same amount of work and using nearly the same amount of power.  The only difference is that it's not writing the info to the SD card (which isn't going to make a heck of a lot of difference power wise).

Also when youre recording, your rear and front LCD's tend to shut off to help conserve power, but when you're using the menus, they are on all the time.  They actually use quite a lot of energy, especially if you have the brightness set to 80%.  So the battery drain you're seeing is about right and because you're using all that power processing the images your camera see's, your battery and camera are going to get hot.

So first thing I'd do is turn those brightness settings down to about 10%.  Then realize that even "tinkering" in the settings is going to use a heck of a lot of power, so don't be surprised if your battery depletes and camera get's hot.

Tourist

[ New ]

I just pulled mine out of the box, and with it just on, it's draining like insane. I'm not even recording anything. I've had it charging for sometime and the drain is insane. I don't know how I could shoot any time lapse video with this drain. I couldn't imagine it lasting an hour even.

Is this a battery issue, or are there settings that can be modified to recify the battery drain?

Nomad

[ New ]

Even if you're not recording (just browsing through menu's), the fact is the GoPro is in a "ready" state. It's basically doing the same amount of image processing, adding stabilization, adding GPS, Adjusting colors, etc as it would when recording. So it's still doing the same amount of work and using nearly the same amount of power. The only difference is that it's not writing the info to the SD card (which isn't going to make a heck of a lot of difference power wise).

So even just scrolling through menu's etc, with it "on" and not recording, it's still going to be using a heck of a lot of power. After all, it's a 5K camera with advanced stabilization using a tiny battery.

So first thing I'd do is turn those brightness settings down to about 10%.
Set the displays to turn off after 1 minute. If you're shooting timelapse or nightlapse, they aren't going to be worth anything anyway as they cannot display what they are capturing in timelapse or nightlapse mode.
If you're shooting nightlapse, then you likely have the camera mounted on a tripod, so turn off features you do not need (stabilization, GPS etc).
I shoot lots of nightlapses, I have since the GoPro Hero 2 (although the 2 was terrible for it) and I have never been able to do a whole nightlapse on a battery, it's just unrealistic to expect the battery to last that long. Instead, remove the internal battery and hook the camera up to either a power bank or an external USB wall socket. Once the rating is for 5V 2A you're good to go. If you do not remove the battery first, most likely the camera will use the battery until it drains, shut off, and then start charging the battery.

When shooting video, depending on the resolution, you can get anywhere between 1 hour to 2 hours on a single battery, this is great compared to previous models that only allowed 30 mins to an hour and half at most in lower resolutions.

Hopefully these tips help improve your battery life.

Sightseer

[ New ]
Hi. I’ve just bought an hero 9 and seem to get around 100 mins of recording at 1080 60fs. Does this sound normal?
Reason I ask is that reviews constantly say 2hours 10mins on 4k?
This is my first camera so I’m a real novice but on the face of it I would expect 4K to use more battery.
GoPro

[ New ]

@spryridge2344, the camera's maximum battery capacity will vary based on settings, environmental conditions, and other factors. You may check this article that lists down the estimated runtime (in minutes) of the GoPro cameras: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/GoPro-Camera-Battery-Life/ta-p/394294

In addition, make sure that a recommended SD card is used for your camera. 

Tourist

[ New ]

My experience with Hero9 battery life is not good, it is out by 2 hours.  They should improve this.