Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro Hero 8 stops recording after 70 minutes but timer continues to rise

[ New ]

I record baseball games by hanging the camera on a chain link fence. I run with no battery door, no battery, external power bank, two computer fans in a L shape blowing directly on the camera, turned off everything I don't need, and record in 2.7K 60fps. Most games go about 2 hours so i initially purchased a 256GB card off the approved list. Game 1 would record fine (about 55-60GB). Then game 2 I would try and record and it would wind up recording about the first 20 minutes, and the last 2 minutes. But the timer on the app and on the actual camera would still tick upwards the full 2 hours, but it would stop recording somewhere along the way. I tried reformatting the card. I tried dropping down to a SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB SDSQXYC-128G-GN6MA thinking I could swap cards between games. Everything has been formatted in camera between days of shooting and tonight it recorded the first 70 minutes, then stopped. 

What am I doing wrong? I have the latest firmware installed. I have the proper micro SD cards. I think I've addressed the overheating issues. The ONLY thing I can think of is maybe I'm pulling the power too soon before it has a chance to dump the data from the camera to the card? Is that even a thing? I stop recording (camera is on one side of the fence, batteries are on the opposite side) then walk around the fence and disconnect everything leaving the camera with no battery and no external power source (2 minutes max after stopping recording). Does it need time to dump the data before it loses power? Or does it transfer on the fly? Or do I have a faulty camera?

GoPro

Re: GoPro Hero 8 stops recording after 70 minutes but timer continues to rise

[ New ]

Hi @alertsummi0328

Were you able to check the files on a computer?

Using the camera with the GoPro App increases camera temperature and power consumption, 

If the camera is stopping a recording without prompt try decreasing the resolution and/or frame rate to see if the symptom is limited to a certain mode.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

yes. I got 10 4GB fiiles. I use the app to setup the camera to get the field of view correctly. I did a full format of the SD cards using the sd card app. I'm hoping that will possibly help? I just wanted clarification that there's nothing physically wrong with the camera, I'm just reaching the upper limits of what it's capable of doing.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @alertsummi0328

To help isolate the issue. try to do a test recording using a lower resolution.

Or keep the same resolution but disconnect it from the app after framing the shot.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej