Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

GoPro Hero 8 not charging

[ New ]

Got my camera yesterday and plugged it in the wall charger after seeing the battery was around 1% and despite plugging into the wall charger the red led randomly came on and went. This is my first gopro so was not sure if that is how it did, fast forward 5 hours and i took the charger cable off and turned the camera on only to find out the battery was at only 10%.

Is this normal ? How long does it take to charger one battery with the USB-C cable ?

I tried with the extra official battery that i had ordered from GoPro and the same result, wont charge and the led light wont turn on either.

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: GoPro Hero 8 not charging

[ New ]

Hi everyone, sorry to hear about the trouble. This is definitely not the kind of experience we want you to have. The power or charging issue in the camera can be related to either the charging fault, charging cable, battery problem, or the camera itself.

Please ensure that the camera's firmware is updated to its latest version v1.2, a recommended SD card, the GoPro USB-C cable and a recommended charger is used. 

Additionally, there are some troubleshooting steps here that will help: HERO8 Black - Will Not Power On

If you've already gone through the suggestions above and still experiencing issues with the camera, I suggest to contact our Support Team so they can help you with the next steps. You may reach them by phone or live chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nomad

[ New ]

I had this same issue this morning, found it was my fault.  The USB-C connection was not fully inserted into the camera and was loose.  This was causing the light to sometimes come on, sometimes not and for it to charge very very slowly.  After re-inserting the charging cable fully, the light stayed on and the camera proceeded to charge correctly.

Make sure you're using a proper charger and not trying to charge via a laptop, pc or a usb hub.

Hiker

[ New ]
Thank you for the reply irishmanpdx, I did make sure it was inserted all the way in and double checked the connections to the wall socket as well but sadly the same thing. I have not tried it with a laptop or usb hub so far. Support asked me to update the firmware and troubleshoot the battery which I am going to do now.
Nomad

[ New ]

Glad they are working with you to get it sorted.  Did they also ask you to remove the battery and plug in the camera to see if you get a constant red light?  Have you tried another cable and charger?

Hiker

[ New ]

Looks nothing worked.

Updated the firmware as stated by support

Factory reset the camera

Formatted the card

Took the battery out and plugged in directly, still no steady led light

After I plugged in directly it did turn on however gave a message soon after that it was too hot and needed to cool down. I only had it powered on for less than a minute. not sure what is going on

Hiker

[ New ]
I've had the same exact experience. You can see my posts from last week. Talked to support and after 45mins we could not get it to work. They told me that they would escalate this issue. I have not heard back since. I hope this isn't the new norm for Gopro and the Gopro Hero 8.
Tourist

[ New ]

I just experienced the same issue.  Overheating no matter what charger/cable I used (I tried my apple charger/ gopro super charger in both ports with different cables and a belkin fast charger, same result).  I could not get the camera to take a charge.  Thankfully i had a second battery with enough power in it that i could install the new firmware.  I'm just disappointed that i waited all this time to receive it only to have to wait another 7-10 days before i can fianlly receive a new one. 

Why does gopro not allow customers to place a hold on their credit card to receive a new camera faster?  So many other vendors make this available especially in the instance of DOA.

Nomad

[ New ]

For anyone having this issue, if you've gone through support and they haven't helped, I would ask for an RMA number so you can return your camera and exchange it.  

Do not "wait" for other people to get back to you, you risk missing out on your 30 day exchange window.